Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue Laserdiodes wil be cheap soon!

I get it that DPSS is more efficient for green, etc. But why exactly are blue or green diodes less powerful than their red counterparts? Or is that question that's not easily answered...

AdamR

laze_doctor said:
I get it that DPSS is more efficient for green, etc. But why exactly are blue or green diodes less powerful than their red counterparts? Or is that question that's not easily answered...
Because of how hard they are to make. They have very little support from manufacturers as diodes of that wavelength simply aren't required. They would provide no benefit over the current red/IR and blu-ray for data storage, not making any reason to spend thousands of dollars and labour hours to perfect them at a reasonable price.

Ahh okay. So there's no fundamental reason why green diodes can't be as powerful as reds.

^There actually might be, people are working on green diodes. We don't know what the limits for green diodes will be, it'll just take time to find those limits

These things are limited by the materials of which they're made. There are several reasons why gallium nitride is a plausible material for green laser diodes, but there are several reasons why it's still difficult to get to green laser light, even using GaN/InGaN. The materials are just limited by their nature, by the very structure of the material, and getting to green may be pretty close to the edge of how far you can go with the GaN/InGaN system. The very structure of the material limits just how efficient, effective and powerful green diodes can be made (if they can be made at all).

Since green diodes are made of a completely different material than red diodes are made of, the limits are different, just by nature. We don't yet know what the limits are for green, it just takes time to find those limits.

pullbangdead said:
^There actually might be, people are working on green diodes.  We don't know what the limits for green diodes will be, it'll just take time to find those limits

These things are limited by the materials of which they're made.  There are several reasons why gallium nitride is a plausible material for green laser diodes, but there are several reasons why it's still difficult to get to green laser light, even using GaN/InGaN.  The materials are just limited by their nature, by the very structure of the material, and getting to green may be pretty close to the edge of how far you can go with the GaN/InGaN system.  The very structure of the material limits just how efficient, effective and powerful green diodes can be made (if they can be made at all).

Since green diodes are made of a completely different material than red diodes are made of, the limits are different, just by nature.  We don't yet know what the limits are for green, it just takes time to find those limits.

Hey I actually saw a green diode pointer (prototype) at 3M about 10 years ago. The wavelength made the dot more dirty yellowish than a 532nm DPSS, and the avg. life was I think 50-70 hours? It was <1mW. What a unique thing to see. These were all PhD's I was working with over in their research facility, and the pointer was made like one of those squeeze light diodes (sandwiched between two squares of plastic). The researcher complained that 3M likes to spend millions funding projects, only to, right before the technology is perfected, they pull the plug...that was a common complaint over there. I almost wish I had just grabbed the pointer, but that would have been wrong.

Having a green emitting diode could further bring down cost, power consumption, increase stability (of output), and also render possibly slightly more ideal color, not to mention size (density) considerations. Isn't the nitride (blue) technology applicable to red and green lasers as well? I wonder how long until we can have a 100mW visible blue emitting pen for $100 or so.

I've got great news that might accelerate the price drop of those diodes, Sony and Toshiba are working on laser backlite LCD. For the moment, only Toshiba sells those, but thay are back projection screens, that makes them bulky. Sony them have decided to use clusters of 6 les, 2 blue, 2 red and 2 green to match the briliant colors of plasma TVs. But, to beat the LCD, they might replace those by laser diodes, brighter and with more regular wavelenghts. That meens that the blue LD, the problematic wavelenght because of the cost of the crystals might be replaced by blue LD!!!!!
Can't wait!!! Maybe we will be able to buy the cluster board with the all 3 colors!!! That might also be a good moment for them to create better green diodes!!! REALLY CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I have a 442nm diode but it's kinda big...

000_1290.jpg

;D ;D

Gus is a show off dude ;D :D ;D

Nice lasers you have and good pictures. Yours are a tad bigger than mine..

Mike

I just had to... I love that laser so much I just gotta show it off.

it's kinda like those people with the "my kid is an honors student" bumper stickers...

I need one that says "I have a 4+ft long tube of glass with toxic metal vapors inside that makes pretty lights"

;D ;D