Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-ray burner diode swap?

I want the 8X diode but I want an 8X burner. Has anyone successfully swapped an 8X diode with a GGW diode?

Tyler did, many times. I'm sure others did too. I think they used PHRs though.

Hahaha.

@Yobresal: I'm not 100% sure, but it might work, as long as you wired it properly of course.

Last edited:

daguin

I want the 8X diode but I want an 8X burner. Has anyone successfully swapped an 8X diode with a GGW diode?

If you are talking about removing a 6X from a working build and replacing it with an 8X then it is very doable. They both can use the same driver. The 8X just needs more current.

Peace,
dave

Rob

I think he's referring to an actual whole Blu-Ray drive, he's wondering if he could swap the 8x diode in the drive and replace with a GGW in order to still have a functioning drive... Sorry if I'm mistaken though.

Yeah Rob that is exactly right. It just seems like such a waste of a drive to take the diode out and toss the rest.

I think I may give it a shot. I will just have to be delicate with the drive rather than my usually breaking and entering tactics.

I did something like that with a Pioneer 8x drive a while ago. Took out the 8x BR diode and put in a PHR. The drive reads Blu-Ray discs fine, I never tried writing a BD-R with it for obvious reasons :)

Nice! good to know it can be done. Was it easy? I think that a 6X diode will be plenty powerful enough for it to write at 8X speeds considering what we do to them.

It was easy because the BR diode of the BDR-203 is very much exposed. I didn't even have to remove the sled, just used hot air to de-solder the ribbon cable from the diode.

Here you can see the original heatsink with the PHR diode glued back into its location on the sled.

I have done this recently and it takes a little bit of adjustment/trial and error with the new diode.

If you are going to do this the LG 8x, you can do what I did. Just keep the heat sink in the sled and work on prying it out with a filed down flat head screw driver while pulling up on the case pin. I used a PHR diode to replace it and it reads discs just fine.

If I can do it I'm sure you can do it!

Truly a great idea, to still have a Blu-ray reader drive to use (NOT return as "defective") after harvesting your burning diode.

I remember when the first PHR diodes were found in those Toshiba drives that were really cheap, people would pull out the violet diode and still just use the driver for DVDs, but this takes it a whole step further.

So Glutton, did you also use the hot air method to get the diode out of the ribbon or just pull it out?

I removed the ribbon cable with the solder blob method then proceeded to pry out the diode with sled/ribbon/heatsink in tact. After I removed the diode I just inserted the PHR into the empty slot and soldered it to the in tact ribbon cable. It didnt read blu-rays at first so had to open it back up and press it into the heatsink better which made it work.

It isnt easy to pry the diode out with the heatsink still in the sled. I had to use some force when pulling up on the case pin. Prying it alone will only loosen the diode.

Hmmmm sounds pretty excited to me. Looking forward to it! Mine should be here today!

Did you hit the lottery Luke? I see you buying stuff all over the forum. You're still tethered..right? Must be one hell of a lemonade stand LOL.

2508026764_0a763156b0.jpg