Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

blinding little creatures.

i was wondering if a 50 mW would temporarily/permanently blind flys or moths... what about birds?

edit: and the reason im asking is so that i dont have to try it myself, so dont start flaming!

Depending on the focus, you may punch a hole straight through them. There are those on here that greatly discourage this practice, so you may have opened up a can of worms by asking this question :(

I know when all the robins are in my back yard in the early morning in spring, I can take my x50 and wave it around them and they all freak and fly off because they're scared of the dot. ;D

Not quite what you're asking but it's still a funny thing.

My aunt uses a 5mw leadlight to scare away the bigger birds in her garden...she calls me at least twice a week to thank me for giving her that laser :)

I dont mean to flam cause but thats a dumbass question. If you point a 50 mW laser in your eyes is it good for you. NO!!! so then why even think of doing it to birds and other animals please remove your post cause u will get nothing but flames for askin such a dumb question.

Kenom

OK PETA.

There are times when it's nice to have a laser to scare away an animal doing stuff that you don't want it to do.  Scare away that racoon in your garbage.  Or the skunk who keeps spraying your freaking dog every night.  Or how about that chargin bear that is going to rip your arms off and beat you with it.

There was a post on here a while back about a guy who got a hercules to scare away the dingo's that were eating his chickens and other livestock or something along that line. I don't think it was dingo's but hyena's. Seem to recall he was in africa.

Kenom said:
OK PETA.

There are times when it's nice to have a laser to scare away an animal doing stuff that you don't want it to do.  Scare away that racoon in your garbage.  Or the skunk who keeps spraying your freaking dog every night.  Or how about that chargin bear that is going to rip your arms off and beat you with it.

There was a post on here a while back about a guy who got a hercules to scare away the dingo's that were eating his chickens and other livestock or something along that line. I don't think it was dingo's but hyena's.  Seem to recall he was in africa.

I hunt. so im definatly not PETA. I dont mind people using their lasers to scare away animals. But putting a named blinding littile creatures and then asking if u can blind them is a dumb ass question!

danq

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Depending on the focus, you may punch a hole straight through them. There are those on here that greatly discourage this practice, so you may have opened up a can of worms by asking this question :(
worms tend to come in styrofoam tubs these days... I just tried opening one by focusing a 200mW red at the translucent plastic top, and it punched through and made the worm castings etc hot and it kinda stunk!
therefore: opening cans of worms not recommended ;-)

I dont agree with using lasers againsed animals at all, but I have used my 75mw greenie for catching spiders before. Used batteries in my laser, probally kicking out around 40 - 50mw and just a quick flash across it and it cant see you coming until its too late.

I have burnt a dead fly with it before though, wont be doing that in a hurry again though as the smell was absolutly foul.

rog8811 said:

My thoughts exactly.

I think killing insects is cool and scaring birds is also cool. I draw the line at maiming something that doesn't affect you, your property or your family. If there's a big chargin bear, I think you should break out the spas-12 or something. Aren't bears fairly docile unless provoked? They prolly just go through your garbage or something. Insects aren't really human enough for me to feel pity for them, I mean they eat each other alive, and lay eggs inside each other while the victim is still alive and countless more crazy insect stuff.

Switch

As for the blinding flies or moths question, my answer is no.I don't know why, but I have tried many times and they seem to find their way just fine.Maybe the lenses and mirrors in the compound eye focuses the laser and only give them blind spots or something. :-/
That's probably what would happen to a bird or an animal or a human too.You wouldn't really see it walking into walls.But it would suck for them since they have permanent spots in their vision.

Aren't bears fairly docile unless provoked?
Hey you never know.Each bear has it's own personality. ;D

Yeah, insects: not concious enough of the world around them.It doesn't take a second thought to kill a fly or burn it with a lighter or catch it to make a flypowered matchstick plane and set it on fire with a laser. :D

CAN A MODERATOR PLEASE REMOVE THIS IDIOTIC BULLSH IT POST BEFORE THE STUPID MEDIA IN MY FUCKED UP COUNTRY GET THEIR HANDS ON IT? THIS IS PRECISELY THE KIND ON NONSENSE THAT WILL LEAD TO A BAN IN YOUR COUNTRY,AS THEY HAVE JUST DONE IN OURS!

>>>>>blinding little creatures<<<<<<

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS MATE? YOU SOUND LIKE THE TYPE OF DIC KHEAD ID LIKE TO BEAT SOME SENSE INTO.................

so tell me? getting the urge to shine it at a plane as well?????? :mad:

That's so sad :(

We're now getting paranoid about the threads here, because we're worried someone will write a slanderous news article about it...

What ever happened to free speech? :(

See where your coming from mate, if not remove this thread perhaps change the title completly. That will solve the little search engine issue that this will now pop up in.

@Murudai
The word freedom of speach doesnt exist nowerdays. Everything that hapens is reported in one way or another wheather its usful to someone or not.

Anyone who is foolish enough to assume that "Big Brother" does not actively monitor a forum specifically designed to encourage laser pointer activities is not living in the same plane of reality as the rest of the world. The originator of this topic merely asked about insects - and I can count literally hundreds of different commercially available methods of controlling the insect population of this planet - some include using pheromones against the "little critters" - no where is THAT entered into the "nice book" ? Anyways - continue to blow this topic out of proportion, like the above SCREAMED paranoid reply in answer to his idiotic government's reply to a non-threat. I welcome all comments, and ideas. The other day, I pinned down a brown recluse with a 105mw blu-ray - it was not pretty from HIS (or her) perspective, I can imagine...but from MY perspective - one who has been bitten multiple times, and bear the divots of missing flesh that those spiders' venoms create on a human - well, let's just say I took a certain satisfaction to doing it, and the chemical-laced biological-weapon we all know as, "RAID" was not handily available.