Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bird Scarer, help & advice, please

HIMNL9

I mean, you said that corn was planted intentionally for attract birds, right ?

Corn is a vegetable, and any vegetables, usually, dies when the salt content of the ground is too high ..... adding salt to the ground, can make all the corn plants die ..... ofcourse, you cannot spray salted water on the plants directly, cause this left salt tracks on the leaves ..... but, seeding salt in the terrain, at night, maybe just before a rainy day or before he irrigate, increase the salt content of the terrain, and kill all the corn plants.

And, if well made, it left no tracks ..... but only you can decide if this is an actuable tactic or not, cause i cannot know your personal situation .....

Avery

Sorry, there was some confusion there. He is not planting corn but putting out corn as feed for the birds!

HIMNL9

Oh, no problems .... i've just understood bad, then ..... sorry for that :)

I think if you recorded the noise and the time of day-4:55 AM!! and showed this evidence to the proper authorities you might get some help- but if they were there first and have clout-- probably not. Guineas are well known for their 'watchdog' abilities - that and their insect-eating traits are the reason many get them in the first place (like peacocks)-- The large plastic owls are not that expensive and worth a try.

Some sounds can be heard by animals but not by humans- you should look into that.

the birds owners may have gotten so used to thier racket that they dont even notice anymore- like living near the traintracks or the sewer plant. I seriously doubt that they will ever get rid of them---Earplugs may help. Or a row of dense bushes/trees/fence may block the noise somewhat.

I hope your neighbors dont get pissed off and buy peacocks as they screech at all hours and make the sounds of guineas sound like music by comparison. They sound like a woman being tortured. I lived around both for three years and never got used to the peacocks but after time I did not notice the guineas as much. good luck--Hak

Avery

RA-pierce, et al thank you for the link and other information.

I contacted the people there who put me in touch with a company called Laserglow in Canada. I have ordered an Aires 125mw green laser pointer from them. I will publish the results when I return from a work trip, later in the month.

I have to say that I was very impressed by the courtesy and assistance offered by Laserglow representative, whos name unfortunately I did not get. Excellent service.

Let's hope at least some small mitigation of our problem may come from all this.

Good Luck using a green laser on those birds--this am I went by the birdlady's place and showed my 72 mW green to two of her guineas--one simply ignored it and the other tried to eat the dot. I fear you are wasting your time with that idea but since you are getting it -give it a try and let us know.

Do you happen to have any other neighbors who had the same prob with those birds? More than one person complaining to the right authorities about the noise pollution would certainly help.

BTW the birdlady's guineas only fussed with me the first half-dozen times I entered her backyard- now they pretty much squawk a few times then ignore me--I still think a bird dog & a fence would be your best bet.--hakzaw

Zeus

Maybe if you boil or soak some corn in white pepper, chilli powder(I know some animals
are immune to chilli, but it's worth a try), curry powder, salt and other strong
tasting things, they may develop an aversion to corn. Or a very mild poison which
would make them slightly ill and again develop an aversion to corn.

Regards

Lachlan

Maybe if you boil or soak some corn in white pepper, chilli powder(I know some animals
are immune to chilli, but it's worth a try), curry powder, salt and other strong
tasting things, they may develop an aversion to corn. Or a very mild poison which
would make them slightly ill and again develop an aversion to corn.

Regards

Lachlan
Not trying to bust anyones' balls- but, IMO most of you have NO knowledge of these birds-and your ideas reflect that lack of info- but ya'll keep brainstorming=just the same. I know you are just trying to help.

Some of the suggestions have me ROTFL!!:crackup:

Birds are immune to chili peppers. They can munch habaneros all day and feel fine.

DO NOT poison ANYTHING. Seriously, poisoning is about the most hideous way to kill a creature. I'm not one of those animal rights lunatics (I'd have shot, shoveled and shut up by now,) but you've got to have a little compassion. I don't even poison mice.

You could try erecting a perch for owls and other birds of prey. A tall mast with a cross beam at the top. If you can get one to set up shop, they'll take care of other pests, too.

Hell, just trap the buggers and pull their dear little heads off. Twist twice, yank (Mostly just dreaming, but if the opportunity presents itself. . .)

Enjoy the new laser. And the silence.

Last edited:
As I said a green laser will do no good, unless you throw it at them! A 500 mW 12X BR would cetainly get their attention, however.

Animals have no conception of tresspassing- so I would NOT reccomend any kind of trapping even on your own property. Owl decoy and earplugs are your choices--or move....

Last edited:
A good single shot air rifle in .177 cal will do the job it my take a few days but the problem will be gone as the foul will not get used to lead lead pellets like they my a laser and it will cost less also ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm- so it would be OK if somebody did not like your dog in their yard to shoot it??-- the pellet gun idea is a bad one. btw fowl not foul

Hmmm- so it would be OK if somebody did not like your dog in their yard to shoot it??

Pretty much. I'd appreciate it if they talked it over first, but yeah, around here, nuisance animals get shot. A couple years ago, we knocked off two possums and a skunk on Christmas (the skunk was a mistake. Honestly, who shoots a skunk with a shotgun? Even a dumb city boy like me knows you put a .22 behind their ear. . .)

It is the owner's responsibility to ensure that their pet isn't running amok. If your dog gets into Bob's chickens, or digs up Bob's yard, then you are responsible for your dog's misconduct, just as Bob is responsible for protecting his property.

Kill the birds. Make soup. Life's good
thumbsup.gif

Glad you are not 'around here'- only humans know the concept of tresspass or land boundries- He has to live with his neighbor- who I think were there first. How does shooting a dog 'protecting your property'?? People get shot for killing/injurying other peoples pets.

It sounded to me like the man was not afrade to shoot them He needs his rest, and if eating a few birds will get him that rest I say go ahead and shoot them.
I supprised at you hacksaw. do you know the people of texas own 51 million guns that is a fact and the most in the nation !
we were talking birds here but since you brought up dogs, yes if my neighbors dog came over and keept bothering me or my family and the owner of the dog did nothing about it after I asked him several times to curb his dog then I would take care of the problem how ever I seen fit to.
lets say for instance your neighbors dog came over and crapped on your door step every day and dug holes in you wifes flower beds and in your garden and you complaned to the dogs owner and all he did was laugh in your face and the dog catcher is busy in a town 60 miles away and won't come out, are you going to let this dog run your life, I think not !
sorry if I don't spell well and it bothers you but my electronics work is much better :crackup:
rember these are not pets we are talking about it's a few nuisance birds and he has tryed to chase them off with no success.
Have a nice day ;)

they kind of are pets. Didn't he say his neighbor trys to get them to hang out in his barn?

anyways, not an everyday sort of thread, so I'm keepin my eye on it. Interesting!

maybe a light on a motion sensor or something like that. Light can be in your yard and still hit his.