Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Biologist from Pa joins the laser club

hoon

Hello. I joined a week or so ago after reading some very informative, intelligent posts from some here. I've been in contact with Garoq since and it seems I'll be getting that survival laser.

My experience with lasers has been fairly wide; I've owned them since I was 14, when I got in big trouble shining a red one (the only ones at the time) out the window 8 floors down at the security guards standing around about 100yards away. Not in their eyes, just near them. Well, got a call about 5 minutes later... luckily they didn't get mad. From that point, no pun intended, I was more careful. I've used them in a high school "gifted" class (I think my IQ has suffered the 'deviation to norm' though heh) up to a College Physics II class at a university, requiring goggles and caution.

I've owned a few green lasers, and still have 3. One is a *5mW on my Smith and Wesson M&P15, and one *40mW pointer which is quite bright and I usually wear shades when playing with it in a room. And another 10mW from overseas. As for red, I own a *Crimson trace 5mW red for my Kel-Tec PF-9, and a *Bolt interactive pet laser toy from thinkgeek (whos laser prices are a bit ridiculous, but I would like a "psychedelic" type laser like their galaxy wand, I enjoy stuff like that). I also own a *LaserPod, bought like 5 years ago so it is a basic one with 3 red lasers, but enjoyable.

I experienced my first "laser parts assembly attempt" when a green 10mW pointer broke. It stopped working, or so I thought. Luckily it was the summer I "rented" night vision from wal-mart, so I could see that it wasn't broken, but the frequency doubler must have failed! I could see a large "green" dot but only through the night vision. I ended up getting it to work somewhat but it was off a ways. Such amazing, fine little parts. As I'll later state, I can't wait to build one!

I'm a grad student going for medical biology, about halfway done. So I have a B.S. in medical biology, minors in chem/psych, but Physics is my #1 "hobby" interest. I've enjoyed reading more basic but informative reviews such as "Fabric of the Cosmos", Stephen Hawkings UinaN, BHoT, up to more complex Feynman lectures available online, which amazes me, especially about light, and how he describes it as: (rough quote)

"I know this formula can say this and that, but I can't tell you how or why this works" ... it involved a circle, going around so many times to calculate. Quantum electrodynamics which he is the master and "maker" of (I know he's passed on, but he still is the best at QED!). Also, physicist Alan Guth has some amazing lectures out, although it depends, some are dumbed down a bit which clouds the 'truth' behind the scene.

Light, to me, is the most mysterious and amazing thing in the natural world. What is described by QED, but which doesn't seem to reveal a true physical thing able to be imagined in the mind. Maxwell's equations and some basic QED calculus based equations I have done, but I have much to learn. Slowly though; some equations can make me feel a true sense of a piece of reality, and others are too long and hard to grasp. The visible electromagnetic waves we see, ~400-800nm, is a very small spec in the spectrum, but beyond that, photons are involved in the EM force itself, repelling like forces and keeping us from falling through the earth basically, since atoms, and us are so much empty space it would be easy to go through anything.

I'm sure many of you have a much better idea of light (and physics), but wonder if it is still that unknown mystery that Feynman described it as; haven't heard different from modern PhD physicists like Dr. Brian Greene (fabric of the cosmos author and was on PBS series- Elegant Universe- but I don't like the idea of string theory yet)... his book I read 6 years ago is when I started realizing all the amazing things in physics I want to learn. I refused to believe before this, that relative time could change, and accepted time travel is possible and even happens when driving in the car. The furthest time traveler is a russian a fraction of a second younger (but probably aged much more by all the cosmic rays, semi-lol).

So yeah this is my science-basic interest summary, and I hope to learn more here, but also try to share when questions I'm familiar with are asked.

I also own firearms and have license to carry them, and enjoy target shooting. I live in a rural area thankfully (except during the semester), so lasers and bullets are safe to fling around.

I don't hunt animals anymore except menacing ones (sometimes gray foxes come around, and once killed our cat); but 3 summers ago, made friends with a red fox and brought her rabbits which were destroying a family member's garden.

I have my close up fox encounters on a youtube video, thankfully the music was re-instated (Jimi Hendrix- Foxy Lady + Freedom). If interested, ask :evil:

Firearms: :gun:

My newest is a Glock 19<15 or 17+1>. Main carry is KT PF-9<7+1> with laser. .357 magnum Taurus 605 snub nose <5>, Ruger LCP .380 <6 or 10+1>, Taurus PT-100 .40 <13 or 15+1> designed by the Beretta factory after the Beretta 96, which may be my favorite pistol.

As for long guns, AR-15 I mentioned in 5.56NATO (mags of 20, 30 and 40) and wow, shooting through the woods with tracer rounds going over 3,000fps is some sight. Kind of like orange/pink lasers. Also a cheap pistol grip/folding stockMossberg 500 which holds 5+1 3" mag 12 gauge. A Remington 522 .22 viper semi, discontinued. Contemplating selling a 10rd mag which are going for 50$, or the whole gun to get an AR-7 Henry survival rifle .22. Also have .243 lever and 12 gauge single shot.

Not trying to brag, I mostly ;) don't have "top" brands anyways, just posted to see if anyone shares the interest, and to see if anyone has custom made lasers for their guns. I'd love to customize some of these with my own lasers. I can't quite imagine myself building one yet, as my knowledge is limited, but willing to learn.

I'm fairly skilled at DNA testing through the PCR/electrophoresis process, but don't have my own equipment (yet anyways, but the heat cycler is way out of my price range). Own a decent microscope. Plan on getting more into culturing with swabs and petri dishes, and using those cool 13-step bacteria species identifier, see whats growing around here. And, been interested in growing mushrooms, I just realized in the past 2 weeks, as growing season peaked, how tasty and expensive morel mushrooms are.

Well that's a summary of my interests and some possessions. I look forward to getting to know more of you here. Gary was very noob-friendly, and answered a few inquiries of mine. I look forward to the 1.2W survival laser. Such a small package. I admit I'm nervous, and should be. I'm too cautious to take any chances, getting the eagle pair of OD4+ and 2 basics for my friends who will enjoy it responsibly from a distance.

I'll be treating such power with a respect more than I do with guns. Lasers ricochet much easier!

Last edited:

Trevor

Welcome! In biology?

1. Acquire old DNA sequencer.
2. Remove argon ion laser.
3. Enjoy pretty lights.
4. ???
5. PROFIT

:)

-Trevor

Welcome! In biology?

1. Acquire old DNA sequencer.
2. Remove argon ion laser.
3. Enjoy pretty lights.
4. ???
5. PROFIT

:)

-Trevor

Trev- to make a profit you would need to find a way to make yourself part with it(not easy, I know) and beat Daguin and his very attractive prices.(I know about that too)

AFAIK about the only way to get a really cheap deal on an argon is to find one you can do a local pick -up on. Especially if it is still in the device. (BTW- I read that they are also inside of confocal microscopes and high speed printers and a few other devices)

******but that is still great advice*************

To our newest Pa member---- good to have you here and there are some great members in your area. SO....

Welcome to LPF- I can see you will be a valuable member.

If you would like to meet many members in person and get more photons to view in one weekend than you would normally see in a lifetime please accept our invite to attend SELEM in Newton NC on Aug 10 to 21st.

Lots to read about SELEM (this is the 5th annual) both here and at PL(photonlexican) who hosts and runs most LEMs around the world. SELEM afaik is the biggest and best. There are many vids (youtube)made at LEMs including SELEM. Try to make it--you will NOT regret it.:D

len

Last edited:

Asherz

Impressive first post, I'm sure you'll become a great member to have around the forums.

As said above if you can get hold of a DNA-Sequencer that would be awesom :)

Hi, I've also joined very recently after being most impressed by the informative and well-written posts here. I've also been in touch with Garoq regarding ordering the survival laser (currently finalising the order :D). By all accounts, it seems a great kit / build and I can't wait to receive it! And I absolutely agree that Gary is extremely 'noob-friendly'. Based on my dealings with him thus far, I am most impressed with his service!

It's also interesting that you're a biology major. I'm currently studying chemistry at university. Although presently formally enrolled in a biomolecular sciences major, I'm now taking chemistry. I'm still an undergrad :scowl: - but I really do love it. I had actually planned to go on to med school, but I loved chem so much that I've decided to go through and do a PhD in chemistry. I do take some biology, but not a great deal.

Anyway, I'm glad you, too, like the forum! :)

Cheers,

Adam

Arayan

A Warm
welcome.png
from a microbiologist :beer:

BennyF

From one PA member to another WELCOME to the forum. Where in PA are you from?

hoon

I appreciate the nice welcome.

I will keep in mind the argon laser within a DNA sequencer. I never used one, but they may be in some storage closet at my university. Also, cytometers which count and usually distinguish cells in blood have lasers, but I'm not sure which kind.

I'm located in SW Pa ~55 miles southwest of Pittsburgh during summer and holiday, Pittsburgh when college in session.

Many of my questions about lasers and light may already be answered here, so I will probably be kind of quiet for a while as I use the search tool. But if I can come up with something unique, I will. I'll at least be giving a brief review of the survival laser, hopefully within a month.

Oh, and Jeffreythe00, I see you are in the plains... be careful not to scare the Amish or make them prepare for judgement day with your lasers :evil:

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! There is a multitude of information to harvest here. Safety is paramount! :)

Fenzir

Nice to see some other Pennsylvanians around here, I'm from the southeast suburbs and I'm in the bio field aswell. But work has me tied down to 358 days a year, but maybe one day our beams will cross paths.