Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beautiful blue Lifetime17 host for PLTB450b

LaserRanger

@Lifetime17 thanks buddy, I'll be buying more hosts in the future and I really liked the diode as well, I wish I could get a tighter spot on the wall but it's better than the m140 diodes I'm used to

@Shotgundrums yeah Its not really something I do often but I just wanted to see how well the diode matched the host that I couldn't wait

@paul1598419 Thanks for the tip buddy, I'll be ordering some from eBay along with more parts for that test load build

GSS

I don't have any low power 450 diodes which i'm assuming are single modes but
I still can't see how much better of a spot you can get with a 3 element lens on this PLBT450B1 at over 1W with out using a bunch of correction lenes. Mine with the G2 like I mentioned is all I need..

I'm a bit confused about the word aberations you used. The pic's of the beam seem thick and splashy like it could have a bad or dirty window.
I'm confused, are you not happy with the profile and spot because iv'e yet to see a post where someone wasn't amazed by the characteristic's of this diode??

Last edited:
These 2 and 3 Element lenses have a spacer in them and they cast a nasty reflection...
I’ve taken them out of 2 of my 3E lenses. It helps. But, if you take out the spacer you must be very careful when replacing rear lens and barrel nut NOT TO TIGHTEN IT MUCH. The convex lens portion will shatter under tension.
This doesn’t really work for the 2E lens due to their CV shape and focal relationship.
SGD🍻

LaserRanger

@GSS sorry, maybe I did not use the correct word. There are 2 "wings" or splashes of light that come out exactly across from each other and the light has lots of power since I can feel heat from it. I do not belive it to be a dirty window and I am really amazed by the beam profile and sharpness as its contrast with the background really stands out

@Shotgundrums thank you for the tip, I will be taking apart one of my 3 element lense to try that same mod you mentioned in your post. I did read it but I wasn't sure if I should try it so as to not ruin one of my lenses but I've bought a few over the weekend so I'm more willing now

@GSS sorry, maybe I did not use the correct word. There are 2 "wings" or splashes of light that come out exactly across from each other and the light has lots of power since I can feel heat from it. I do not belive it to be a dirty window and I am really amazed by the beam profile and sharpness as its contrast with the background really stands out

The wings are always there with 3 element lenses.. I haven't tried removing the spacer but it may help. If you're interested in low divergence with a pristine beam you should check out a G7 lens. It will produce a clean output with nearly the exact same divergence as when using a 3 element lens, have no wings and have power output approaching that of using a G2 lens. You will get slightly higher output with a G2 but at a cost of far higher divergence. Which, with this diode, may not cross the line of "unacceptably" bad, but it will nevertheless be much higher.

Last edited:
Hi, Aaron. The reason the G7 works like this is the 7 mm FL of the lens. You are basically expanding the beam as the aperture of the lens is wide enough to accommodate the wider beam.

LaserRanger

Thank you everyone who commented with suggestions. I will be trying out all suggestions and will post results as I see them

Hi, Aaron. The reason the G7 works like this is the 7 mm FL of the lens. You are basically expanding the beam as the aperture of the lens is wide enough to accommodate the wider beam.

Paul we gotta find wider, proximate lenses. I’m wondering how they would relate to certain multimode diodes.

I I sometimes wonder what could be the results of using DPSS type optics ( focal, expander, Collimate...minus the YAG of course) for multimode diodes.
Josh

It depends on how wide the emitter is. If it is too wide it will get clipped by the G7 lens. You will get a better looking beam, but at the cost of some power.

LaserRanger

@Shotgundrums I did what you suggested, I took out the spacer and there's a significant difference, the wings are still visible when the laser is flat on a table or pointing at something really close (less than 6 inches) but it pretty much got rid of it while pointing it down long range. Thank you! I will post pictures once I get the chance and I'll update once I get some short FL lenses, g2, and g7 as well

@Shotgundrums I did what you suggested, I took out the spacer and there's a significant difference, the wings are still visible when the laser is flat on a table or pointing at something really close (less than 6 inches) but it pretty much got rid of it while pointing it down long range. Thank you! I will post pictures once I get the chance and I'll update once I get some short FL lenses, g2, and g7 as well
Rock n Roll! Glad it worked for you, too.
I’ve got several lenses on the way too. A G7, 2 G2s, and 2 445 2Es(or so it stated).
SGD🍻

LaserRanger

Awesome! I think I might need to stock up on some more lenses for future builds. One of the lenses I took the spacer out from, cracked after dropping a recent build I was trying out. Im gonna have to be more careful or not tighten the lense as much. I was buddy with a build this weekend so I did not take any pictures of the modded lenses

Hi guys I know I'm posting this in the wrong place I am completely new to how forums work I just have a question if anyone can help me and I see this thread is active.
I am purchasing a 1.3W 520nm NDG7475 Laser Diode In Copper Module W/X-Drive & G-2 Glass Lens from dtr's shop on Ebay since it's already in a module and already has the driver and lens attached I need help finding a host that is prebuilt that I can just connect the leads from the module to the leads on the host and place the module in the heat sink. Also I have two 3.7V 18650 Li-ion batteries I am going to use to power the driver This is my first build and I want to make it as easy as possible and don't want to fry a 220 dollar diode on my first attempt

Hi guys I know I'm posting this in the wrong place I am completely new to how forums work I just have a question if anyone can help me and I see this thread is active.
I am purchasing a 1.3W 520nm NDG7475 Laser Diode In Copper Module W/X-Drive & G-2 Glass Lens from dtr's shop on Ebay since it's already in a module and already has the driver and lens attached I need help finding a host that is prebuilt that I can just connect the leads from the module to the leads on the host and place the module in the heat sink. Also I have two 3.7V 18650 Li-ion batteries I am going to use to power the driver This is my first build and I want to make it as easy as possible and don't want to fry a 220 dollar diode on my first attempt

Your module has a driver so all you need is a 2 cell host ( 8.4v ) so you want to talk to Lifetime17 then when your host arrives all you have to do is connect two wires and turn an Allen wrench. Make sure you have correct laser safety glasses that attenuate the wavelength you are working with, any laser over 5mw can damage your vision for life so exercise proper safety.

Lifetime17 ( Rich ) makes nice hosts at a good price ready for your module, just let him know what you want. Click > and use the ( Start Conversation ) tab >>>>>> https://laserpointerforums.com/members/lifetime17.45683/

Also here's his sales thread >>>>>>> https://laserpointerforums.com/thre...at-sinks-focus-adapters-lasers.100082/page-95

Last edited: