Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bear Repeller-Rescue Beacon: HELP please

Hello, if you can be persuaded to sell your 300mW or larger green laser to 1st time buyer, please see post in Buy/Sell, or PM me.

I work in remote mountain and ocean settings, I will primarily use for star pointer. (Yes, I still want this high pwr). Secondary use is as a Bear repellant. Can a "focus adjustable" pointer be widened to produce a big enough dot to encompass a charging bear? Don't want to blind bear for life so could a beam expander be attached to work like a dazzler (to dilute beam to safer levels)?

Lastly, in the event of remote emerg, would be nice to pinpoint location with a vertical beam for rescuers to see at night, or maybe to point PAST very distant boats or aircraft to hail. I AM AWARE of laws & penalties that apply, and do not want to blind and crash pilot, no warning needed. But a ping or nearby point might be useful with *extreme discretion* if it saves a life.

I want green only b/c it appears so bright. What power of red laser would be needed to get a night beam similar in apparent brightness? Thanks. And sell me your focusable, high pwr, waterproof if possible, LPM verified laser! Thank you.

Last edited:

mod101

a 1 watt blue 445nm laser might work for your uses, It may seem a little strong but the divergence is high and if you defocus it a little bit it becomes a large blue rectangle which should work well for dazzling a bear without permanently blinding it.

I dont know many 445s though that are waterproof but someone could probably build you one.

Edit: the beam of a 445nm laser is also visible at night so it would work well for your purposes.

joeyss

The question is are bears more sensitive to red light or green light and the thing is some animals like dogs freak out when they see red, but don't do much when they see green or blue. I would recommend you research this somehow before you make a purchase cause it could very well mean the difference between scaring the bear and not.

My dog looks at the laser spot, and then promptly goes to sleep. Color doesn't seem to matter either, but I have a weird dog who thinks he's a people anyway.

RECON

Smith & Wesson 500 mag.

I'd recommend a commercial 1W 445nm for your signaling needs or paying someone for a custom DIY build. If by chance you need the laser in an enviornment you described, rechargeable batteries are ill advised. Carrying a spare set of lithium disposables in a watertight container will always work, without the worry of having to charge or a battery cell losing charge for that matter.

As stated, 445nm has larger divergence making signaling easier in my opinion. Very visible. As far as bear repellent, from my experiences you are just going to piss it off. And thats the last thing you want...an 800 pound beast that can run 35 mph, climb trees, and swim going after the damn guy who shined a blue light at him. Just my two cents.

mod101

As far as bear repellent, from my experiences you are just going to piss it off. And thats the last thing you want...an 800 pound beast that can run 35 mph, climb trees, and swim going after the damn guy who shined a blue light at him. Just my two cents.

I was thinking the same thing earlier, you could proabably flashblind a bear with a laser, whether or not this will scare off the bear is questionable. If I was in bear territory I would be taking something more along of lines of what recon said, a 500 S&W, something thats proven to stop bears rather than something that 'might' stop it from tearing you limb from limb

But i havent actually done any field work with lasers and bear so who knows, you may know more than me

A 44 mag is also something you might concider carring if you are in bear country, I personal think
any (hand held) laser beam is just going to piss him off.
I have seen 357 mag slugs go in a bears scalp just above his eyes and come out on the back
side after sliding around his skull and the bear kept charging till a 30-06 round brought him down !!!
Have you ever heard of a laser beam turning a bear away ? I think at best you are going to the
hospital if you try this ! you would be better off with bear spray it's a solid unlike a laser beam,
even bear spray is known to just piss off some bears !
The laser will be good for signaling the airplaine/helocopter to come get you after the bear attack :crackup:
Hope you find what works ;)

Last edited:

RECON

I too would have confidence in a .44, but that's the minimum I'd say. Anatomically, a bears skull is very very thick and shaped as such when a round hits it, the round has a tendancy to deflect off rather than penetrate. Quite seriously, bears are a formiddable enemy and it takes quite a bit to stop them. Ideally, a scoped .30-06 would do the job no doubt, as previously said, but I think portability and time efficiency is relevant here, as you are not hunting the animal, but hopefully taking a well placed shot in self defense. The more I think about it, a laser for this application would only provoke things and make them worse. I would suggest disregarding the idea of utilizing a laser as a deterrent for bears altogether. I'm not trying to be mean willinger, just looking out for you. There's no substitute for the proven method of firepower. In bear country anyway.

Thanks for the advice, my clearly American friends! In Canada however, forget the gun solution. It's the best, but not an option. Back to the original question: how could I make the single green pointer (only want one) that I already am carrying (for stars) diverg to a large enough spot. Whether it works will be evaluated in the field, rather than in the forum. Thanks again for any ideas you have.

Last edited:

anselm

.... how could I make the single green pointer (only want one) that I already am carrying (for stars) diverg to a large enough spot. Whether it works will be evaluated in the field, rather than in the forum.
Any laser that has adjustable focus will let you do that.
Ooops, you already have one that is fixed focus?
Well, you'd have to partially disassemble it until you get to the optics.
Every green laser has a beam expanding set of lenses.
One to expand the beam emitted from the crystals, and another lens
to collimate (make it parallel instead of diverging) that beam again.
If you'd remove that second, collimating lens, you basically end up with
a green laser flashlight that projects a rather large (say, 1 foot wide dot at 30 feet away)
dot,
which COULD be used for dazzling.
Good luck with that bear.:beer:
glpmca1.gif

Last edited:

mod101

Its probably pretty hard to change to focus of a green laser you already have. If you dont know what your doing, you have a pretty good chance of messing something up and losing the pointer.

You have two options if you don't think you have the technical skills to do it buy a high powered green laser with an adjustable focus or buy/build a custom 445 blue 1 watt laser. the blue would be more powerful and probably less expensive, either way good luck with those bears.

Benm

Is it actually know which wavelegths deter or attract bears in the first place?

You might be able to modify a green laser to emit a broader beam, but why would you believe that would scare off a bear?

The 'that must hurt!' analogy doesnt work on all animals - i've noticed how pigeons dont budge at all when you shine green lasers directly at them. Surely a pigeon is no bear, but it still seems something to be tested before actual application.

mod101

I have a question, How are you planning to safely test out the laser as bear repellent? For all we know you could go try it out and never come back.

If we see a bear fart and a green laser beam comes out of it's ass we will know the laser thing didn't work.