Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BEAMSHOT COMPETITION! w/ prizes :) anyone can enter (**ENTRIES CLOSED**)!

Re: BEAMSHOT COMPETITION! w/ prizes :) anyone can enter (deadline 11/18)!

I just got my hands on that camera.... Let's try it NOW! :evil:

Oh, damn :D Missed that.

Deleted the link. Sorry.

So... how do we see all the entries? Will you post them all later?

I'll post them all in one area so people can then vote to narrow it down (and see all of them at once). It'll be slightly more awesome to see them all at once I think ;)

*edit*
Also, no worries! I'm just trying to avoid any bias and keep some surprise!

Last edited:

wow this isn't an easy business ... I have taken almost 50 photos and I had to delete almost all of them :D:D:D just left with 2 that I like the most ...

nothing special but I don't have anything on my hands except for a laser and a camera :D

just sent one of the photos to the email

and the winner issssssssssssssssssssssn't me :D :wave:
:beer:

wow this isn't an easy business ... I have taken almost 50 photos and I had to delete almost all of them :D:D:D just left with 2 that I like the most ...

nothing special but I don't have anything on my hands except for a laser and a camera :D

just sent one of the photos to the email

and the winner issssssssssssssssssssssn't me :D :wave:

I snuck a peak at your picture.. that's a sick picture. You gotta put work in! And it looks like you did :)

I'm going to post a list of people who have entered in the OP.

thanks, I was wondering which one of the two to send you.... ah well :D
can't wait to see the other member's beamshots ......
very interesting this will be, hmm (with yoda voice) :D:D

You can always post the other one in your own thread if you like it and think it should be shared! Your avatar is sick too even though it's so simple.

Photographing lasers aint easy. They don't photograph well. The spot is bloated and overexposed, the fuzz/speckle around the spot isn't visible. Laser beam shots are similarly not easy. The beam tends to be overexposed and does not look realistic.

My < 30 second video here does a decent job of recreating a laser beam.. however it's video. You'll need to wait until near the end of the clip to see the beam well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwKDw3laCHA

:)

Last edited:

Photographing lasers aint easy. They don't photograph well. The spot is bloated and overexposed, the fuzz/speckle around the spot isn't visible. Laser beam shots are similarly not easy. The beam tends to be overexposed and does not look realistic.

My < 30 second video here does a decent job of recreating a laser beam.. however it's video. You'll need to wait until near the end of the clip to see the beam well.

laser pointer - beam - YouTube

:)
Well, I like to think I'm able to photograph a very realistic looking beam of all lasers except Bluray (that's where my Olympus E400 gives up).

See my 400mW green:
P8220589.jpg

Or some 50mW greens:
P5280400.jpg

P5280402.jpg

But yeah I have to agree it's difficult, I always fiddle around with camera settings for 10 minutes and for every nice beamshot I always delete 15 test shots.

This competition is a great idea :) I just hope to get my laser on time to participate :) good luck to all :) Can't wait to see the top 25 ! :D

This competition is a great idea :) I just hope to get my laser on time to participate :) good luck to all :) Can't wait to see the top 25 ! :D

Thanks!

Yeah the pictures are turning out to be pretty awesome just from the few that have been submitted so far!

Well, I like to think I'm able to photograph a very realistic looking beam of all lasers except Bluray (that's where my Olympus E400 gives up).

Those are very good pictures. It's difficult to capture a laser beam and have it appear as it does to the 'naked' eye. Images often appear exaggerated. Your laser beam pictures are realistic and capture the airy, scintillated beam appearance - you can see the dust motes in the beam..

Here's my attempt. I think it's OK.. this is close to what the beam appears in a smoke free room looking towards the laser:

mini_red_beam.jpg

Last edited:

I don't think mine are exaggerated, they really do look almost exactly like that in a room in which a little soldering was done, and lit a match or two.

Your beamshot is really nice! I like that laser, what's the host?
Nice green-red contrast in the picture too (all the plants in the background).

I don't pay a lot of attention to the background of my pictures, which almost always ends up a mess of my worktable :p

I think your pictures are very realistic!

The laser is Jayrob's pocket mini host. I used a shoebox for the stand, so a shoestring production :)

Paddy

P1000797.jpg

150mw opto, got my camera settings right, now just to get the location+time of day right :)

love the beamshot with that background! :D