Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beam Expanders !

Like what should be taken in account ?

I just bought a Jetlasers 10X Adjustable Beam Expander for PL-E Pro series with 1-10X magnification with adjustable focus to correct for laser beam divergence.

Doesn't 1-10X magnification you can change the beam expansion from as low as 1x to as high as 10x ?

I get the part where the beam is expanded and over all the power is reduced but after refocusing the beam back to a point at lets say 5000 feet doesn't that bring the power back up at least some in that point at 5000 feet ?
Beam expanders are telescopes. Yes it would. Here's a demonstration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QotAtxrmc

It should, a telescope is the same thing, just used in reverse if expanding a beam.

EDIT: I just watched that video, I haven't run across it in a long time now, glad to see it again. The beam is focused down to a tiny spot a long way away with that telescope, I'm wondering how far it can focus to a spot like that. They are not using the telescope to expand the beam, but to focus it down to a spot, if they focused to infinity, depending upon the eye piece magnification factor, the beam would be much larger, not what they are doing.

Last edited:
Let me ask you guys this, What's so great about Wicked Lasers 10x Beam Expander that they are asking $400.00 dollars for it ???

Last edited:
Yikes, I just saw a photo of it for the first time tonight. Had no idea it was that spendy.

Here's a video of a guy using a telescope as an expander: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4a0KqwvZ2I

I don't think he has it properly set to infinity, the spot should not get smaller and then cross over to become bigger.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how close to the laser collimating lens should the Jetlasers 10X Adjustable Beam Expander be mounted for best results ?

As long as the pointer is set to infinity focus it shouldn't matter but if the NUBM44, as close as possible, or focus down some to make the beam smaller, but not too small or you risk burning the AR coating. Ask RCB, this is his trick.

As long as the pointer is set to infinity focus it shouldn't matter but if the NUBM44, as close as possible, or focus down some to make the beam smaller, but not too small or you risk burning the AR coating. Ask RCB, this is his trick.
I sent him a PM, Is he still active here ?

"as close as possible" The way I have planed to mount the beam expander I'll be able to put it right up to the laser collimating lens !

Last edited:
Does anyone know how close to the laser collimating lens should the Jetlasers 10X Adjustable Beam Expander be mounted for best results ?

It's ok to place the expander less than the diameter of the input lens. Got that?

Let me ask you guys this, What's so great about Wicked Lasers 10x Beam Expander that they are asking $400.00 dollars for it ???
Probably nothing. But a quality expander will cost.
I just tried shooting my laser through a telescope and it didn't expand the beam at all, What am I missing ?
It should have worked. Post a photo of this telescope

The JL 10x seems to work best with a dpss laser. You have to consider the beam diameter at the input side of this BE. If the beam is too wide you will get a pinhole effect and internal reflection splash. Also a proper mounting solution outside of JL products will be an issue. My JL 1w 650nm laser has the largest diameter beam in my collection. It is multimode and quite divergent similar to the NUB44. With the JL 10x BE the output is a perfectly round beam but that means it's clipping a ton of output. Like I was saying about the pinhole effect. IMO Sanwu has a better product being much more versatile.

No BE
attachment.php

10x BE
attachment.php

Last edited:
How can Sanwu's beam expander be more versatile when it's fixed at X3 and the jetlasers beam expander can be adjusted from no expansion at X1 up to X10 expansion and anywhere in between plus jetlasers is fully focusable, I don't know if Sanwu's has a adjustable focus or not......

NO
The Jet 10x is 10X

Both the 3X and 10X are focusable but the expansion/magnification is 10x and actually 3.3X.

You could use a G2 because the beam is very tight leaving the G2 because it has a short focal length and sits close to the diode's emitter/window.

You can focus your G2 to infinity or defocus it to get a more square output, you will see when you experiment with it, lock it down and screw in a JET 10x so it sits close to the G2's output where it's as tight as possible you can make it do some good, I will order an M18 x 0.75 tap and make a heatsink to try it.

55031d1488696394-new-jetlasers-pl-e-mini-10xheatsink.jpg

55032d1488697489-beam-expanders-10xdrawing.jpg

Attachments

• 10xdrawing.JPG
    10xdrawing.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
NO
The Jet 10x is 10X

Both the 3X and 10X are focusable but the expansion/magnification is 10x and actually 3.3X.

You could use a G2 because the beam is very tight leaving the G2 because it has a short focal length and sits close to the diode's emitter/window.

You can focus your G2 to infinity or defocus it to get a more square output, you will see when you experiment with it, lock it down and screw in a JET 10x so it sits close to the G2's output where it's as tight as possible you can make it do some good, I will order an M18 x 0.75 tap and make a heatsink to try it.

55031d1488696394-new-jetlasers-pl-e-mini-10xheatsink.jpg

55032d1488697489-beam-expanders-10xdrawing.jpg

(jetlasers own description) Jetlasers 10X Adjustable zoom Beam Expander for PL-E Pro series with 1-10X magnification with adjustable focus to correct for laser beam divergence.
The beam expander I bought can be set from X1 up to X10 and anywhere in between, It basically "zoomable".....

Last edited: