Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BDR-206 building. Missing key info

I have the 405nm diode extracted. It´s supposed to reach 500mw.

I have been deep searching for the pintout of this diode and the only suggestion found is that should be like other high power 405 LD. The info is supplied by Danguin:

I have NOT tested it under power yet. I am still waiting for someone to fabricate a module for me. My assumption (and the one I will work with first) is that the pinout for this diode is the same as for the 8X/10X/12X.

blu-raypinout-1.jpg
(Thank you Daguin!)

The assumption is what afraids me. More in this case, as the diode has only 2 pins (no 3rd cutted pin, that diodes are designed with only 2). The diode is 3.8mm

So Im thinking in running a small current, let´s say 1.5v, 100ma throught the led and the amperimeter to test polarity... do you think it could damage it? Any safer suggestions?.

Once I, hopefully have determined the pinout, I would like to listen your sugerences about a max safe current. The LD is going to be housed in a 12x30mm aluminium aixiz, with a little fan near in an aluminium bigger box.

Do you think 400mA would be dangerous?. As long as I dont have LPM... maybe I should start at 250ma and slowly going up tracking with my fingers until the module get warm but not hot?.

Hopefully I could report the definitive pinout and some orientative acceptable currents for the building. As long as I have research, this is the cheaper high power 405 diode available and this info could be useful for future amateur builders and hobbist. :angel:

More info about this sled (maybe the only info in the web):
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/bdxl-pioneer-bdr-206m-63328.html

The sled was purchased at lazerer

Last edited:

See this photo.
pin_out.gif

Pin 1 should still be to the left of your notch as seen in at the top in this photo.

So find the square notch in the can, and you can see where that 3rd pin would have been.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense... I think that's pretty straightforward. Use the notch on your diode, and the photo above.

Here's another
laser5_v.png

and another just in case

LD-930-pinout.jpg

Photo of a two pin 445 diode:

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/6720/p1018966.jpg

Now about power: Lets say the aixis module shouldn't have to dissipate more than 1W.

5.5V*.400A = 2.2W of power.

You will either need a heatsink with your fan (since a fan is not so effective with a module whose shape has a low surface area), or you will need to decrease your drive current to 200mA.

I recommend 400mA for a nice long life at high power, 200ma is very low, and so I recommend getting a $10 heatsink - its worth it.

daguin

If it doesn't have the cut off case pin, then it isn't the same diode that I had

As far as what is "safe", we'll have to hear from one of the other guys on that :yabbem:

Peace,
dave

DTR

I have extracted a couple 206 drives and have not seen any diodes that had only two pins. Even the red 3.8mm diodes had three pins. Do you have a picture of the sled?

If it doesn't have the cut off case pin, then it isn't the same diode that I had

As far as what is "safe", we'll have to hear from one of the other guys on that :yabbem:

Peace,
dave

Ah. I did not mean to provide any mis-information. I assumed it had been established that the 206 was basically a 12X in a smaller package. :(

My fault. It has 3 pins. The case one (number 2) was cuted from the very base so I couldn´t see it at the first look at night... Even today at the sun is barely visible.

Im documenting it with some photos, I´ll upload when finished. Thank you so much for all the info, is so appreciated... I didn´t know that you could calculate the dissipation either this way. LPF is such a interesting place! :beer:

i'm not recommending this for our expensive diodes......but diodes are diodes and the current will flow only one way. i've figured out "junk" diode pinouts by setting my ps low, low then seeing what pins let the current through. all the advice given by the vets above is what you need to go by for safety tho.

Finally I could get it run with the pinout posted by meatball (thank you so much!), but the driver for some obscure reason didnt want to give more than 200ma. Now Im on a journey-festival, when I come back I´ll try with another driver and post some photos and results. Thanks all for the valuable feedback! :beer: