Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery stuck in the barrel of laser pointer......

Well, strange thing was it came without the danger sticker, and a case but it's all good. Didn't come with batteries. (no case to hold batteries, makes sense). So yeah, I got it yesterday, started using it. Plugged in some AAA's, 850 mAh rechargeable Energizers. I think they were NiMH, not lithium. After testing it for awhile, I slide the batteries out and went to watch some TV. Then I think I left the batteries charging for abit. Came back, tossed the batteries positive to barrel, negative to diode and was playing around for abit. Right when I wanted to put it away...I found that one of the batteries got stuck in one of the barrels...so now I'm pissed. I can't get it out, and I think my batteries need a recharge. At first, I could smack the barrel and then I could see/feel the battery move around, but it wouldn't come out. It was like something was grabbing hold of the battery. :-/ I got pissed so I just forgot about it for awhile. Kept using the pointer. Then when I remembered it was still stuck, I tried getting a thin paper clip (unfolded) and tried to pull the battery out. Didn't work. There wasn't enough room for the paper clip to do anything. It could slip in, but as soon as I tugged down, the battery would squish it to the side. I soon got even more pissed so I took a pencil and tapped the battery, and now it's stuck near the bottom/top of the pen barrel...now I'm really pissed.  :( I'll try to take a picture. I'm starting to think something else in the barrel wasn't glued properly. Because there's about 1cm of un-needed or 2cm near inside the barrel that the battery doesn't occupy. So w.e. that is, might have gotten stuck with the battery. Also my batteries have this weird shape near the postive terminal. Sort of curves in? This is not my exact battery, it just has that "curve" near the end.

opticsplanet_2052_1051880005

Uploading video, will be up soon.  :eek:

*Processing*

Laser Pointer is the one from

"o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=930"

VIDEO IS UP!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-2DAk1mcc&feature=channel_page

Re: Battery stuck in the barrel of laser pointer..

try using a magnet.

The 'curve' is usually a circuit board on top of the battery... it is over/under charge protection and short protection.

If that doesn't work, you'll have to disassemble it, or send a ticket to the company...

I'd go with gooey's recommendation first. If that doesn't work you can take it apart. We'll be willing to help explain the process. Simple enough looking, I'd take it apart and the battery could be easily pushed out with a pencil then.

I remember when getting a coin battery stuck in a laser i drilled a hole into it screwed a screw into it and pulled it out but with this being a rechargeable and different size its probly not such a good idea.

Wonder if you could tempory solder/glue something to the battery then use that to pull it out.

Steve

Besides this unfortunate event, how good is the laser? :D

Glue and toothpick is a good method...

also, just tap it on your desk. Unless you really had to jam it in there, it should come out pretty easily. Be gentle, but not too gentle, and tap it out!!

Thanks guys, as for the laser. It' bright enough to make you want to look away. During the day, let's say in school, it's still bright if you want to shine it down an empty hallway for a test. Also outside in the bright sun, was like 20 C yesterday, you can see the spot. And if you decide to shine it through a window, one beam goes through the window, and you can see 2 beams reflect back, and if you look on the wall, sometimes you'll see 2-3 green dots. All different strengths.

Anyways, I was thinking of getting like crazy glue or something. My video on veoh says it unavailble...like wtf. And I don't enough time to upload to youtube right now... School in like half in hour. I'm going to leave my computer uploading. I'm uploading to "iAreLeAzn". So maybe in an hour or 2 from when I posted that. Youtube me.

I tried smacking the pen against my knee, some other weird things. And I don't think it's going to plop out. When I keep hitting it from different angles, eventually the battery will slide back down, but if I try to shake it out, or smack it, it shoots back up to the top and stays there again. Very frustrating. And I was thinking of getting my mom to bring it to one of her tech, or mech. workers at her place. To drill through the battery and yank it out. I don't know if that'll work, because theres something else in the barrel thats holding that battery and might get damaged, unless it's some silly spring clipping onto the battery :eek:

This battery is not gunna fall out by tapping I think. It feels loose moving around, till it gets stuck at the top. After I knock it a few times, I can tilt the barrel around, and it'll just slide to the top and bottom. The bottom being as far it can go down. There's still a good 1-2 cms.

Youtube Acct: youtube.com/user/iAreLeAzn

My video will be there after uploading.

Jaseth

http://www.gaussboys.com/magnets/cylinders/
One of these should do the trick. If you like magnets anyway, buying a cylinder magnet which would fit inside the barrel would be an easy way of getting the battery out and would leave you with your battery still working and a fun magnet to play with.

I put some electrical tape around a battery to stop it rattling around in a green laser, but then it got stuck VERY tightly in the barrel. I just got out one of my magnets and pulled it out easily.
Be careful doing it near electronics (especially storage devices such as computers and devices with screens such as a TV) and any magnetic strip storage (credit cards, old tapes) as it will wipe or warp them. Cylinders, despite less pull power than discs and blocks, have a much deeper magnetic field (they will affect things from far away).

Good luck :D

-Sebastian

Insulate the outside of the magnet as it will short the battery when it touches the side of the barrel.

If that does not work out for you, drill a small hole in the end cap of the barrel using a dremel or similar then you can use your straightened out paper clip to push the battery out and when it gets stuck again you can remove it easily.

Regards rog8811

Heating the barrel slightly (expanding it) may ease the extraction process.

Anyone know why or how this came to be. A battery somehow not wanting to leave the barrel. I'll try heating or even buying a magnet. For now, I'll just wait till batteries are almost completely dead.

I have a feeling that it is the clip protruding out inside the barrel. That is exactly what it looks like.

I have an idea.
This won't get the batteries out, but you could always use alligator clips or magnets to attach to the charger to charge the batteries inside of the barrel. That way you won't need to get the battery out ;) ;D