Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries for this laser? Laserbtb 750mw HL

Idk why they are called ICR but I think it has to do with how AW calls them RCR123 cells. Afaik and from what I've read in the sales thread, they are still IMRs but with the protective circuit

EDIT: HERE is a thread dedicated to the 16340 750mAh cells

Last edited:

You want the imr. Get those whenever possible. Aw imr are the bee's knee's

They definitely have the best discharge rate because of the low resistance, but do you think ICR is just because of the fact that they're called CR123 instead of 16340s? I just figure getting the higher mah is better for the longer battery life, but if you know the IMRs are much different maybe I'll get those. I've heard they are the best of the best!

EDIT: I may have answered my own question. Looking at LightHound's site, I think I have determined that the ICR are just called that because they re CR123 batteries and not officially 16340s. Also, it seems that the ICR are protected, while the IMR are not. Protected seems like the way to go, for the added safety (I own LiPo batteries for RC cars and they like to catch fire when you mess up....I'd like to avoid that possibility if I can with these, and the protective circuit should prevent that by letting gas escape if it builds up to explode should they overcharge or overdischarge). I will be reading that thread as well Livinloud, I didn't see your edit until I posted this one!

Last edited:

Tmack

I'm not sure about the icr. I just know my imr batteries give me great life. Even my 14500 imr last long powering over 1.5w. Awesome batteries to last like they do at that power. I've heard guys say their 1.5w eats 16340 very fast. In comparison the 14500 are tiny and I've never run them dead yet under moderate usage

IMR is a different chemistry from ICR. Inherently safer, and capable of higher discharges (generally, 10C is claimed), but with the sacrifice of reduced capacity. If you need discharge higher than 1.5A at any point in the discharge of the cell (esp. when considering boost circuits), go with IMR for that size cell.

I've heard explained I is for lithium rechargeable chemistry, C/M/F is for cathode composition, be it cobalt, manganese, or iron oxides., and R is for to denote it is a round cell.

I'd go with the IMRs.

Also, AW hangs out in Candlepowerforums' marketplace too, you can buy direct from him there if you'd prefer.

Someone reviewed the ICR and said they actually came out to 530mah, not 750, and also said to get the IMR because they are just incredible. Plus, if they're good enough for your 1.5W Tmack, they're more than good enough for me lol. Thanks for the help!

IMR is a different chemistry from ICR. Inherently safer, and capable of higher discharges (generally, 10C is claimed), but with the sacrifice of reduced capacity. If you need discharge higher than 1.5A at any point in the discharge of the cell (esp. when considering boost circuits), go with IMR for that size cell.

I've heard explained I is for lithium rechargeable chemistry, C/M/F is for cathode composition, be it cobalt, manganese, or iron oxides., and R is for to denote it is a round cell.

I'd go with the IMRs.

Also, AW hangs out in Candlepowerforums' marketplace too, you can buy direct from him there if you'd prefer.

And this is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks a lot!

Tmack

I have a set in my 3w too. Anything I need good discharge for gets a pair.

I never saw that part to HKJ's review. PHEW, glad I didnt buy them :D I had them sitting in my cart last night but bought more Efest IMRs since in the end they were $15 cheaper and I already spent $75 on batteries from FT 30 min prior to that

`attaboy! I just don't like small Li-Ion cells, but so many things run off of single 16340 these days, and so many china sellers pairing their wares with questionable charger/battery combos, I just feel best suggesting IMRs anyways. A lot of folks forget when they are designing their lights/lasers, about the safety of the battery.