Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Badly need help/advice

A "301" is a type of really cheap, mass produced Chinese laser, often known for its reputation of being very low cost, and a 'hit or miss' type of quality.
Here, this is a link to Jetlasers, they're extremely high quality lasers. They seem to fit some of the bill, 300mW so it's super visible. Most importantly, you have the option of adding one of their beam ex panders, which screws directly on to the laser. But yeah, you might have to find a new way to mount it, as it's nearly twice as wide as your rig allows.

dang thats good, can i quote you on that for the wiki? XD

Gabe

That must be what they call an "Honorable Mention":crackup:

Alan

Teeheeheeheeheehee

And SUNUVA DIDDLY I still can't rep you, Alan. Don't forget to mercilessly remind me for the rest of time that I owe you rep. Maybe two.

Last edited:
Hi Gabe/ thanks for the idea of stepping up the mW; I have no knowledge of lasers, just the function I want to achieve. You mention 300mW; what can I achieve if I step down to around 175 mW; will I still achieve my goal of a "small" visible beam spot in daylight hours? And YES, I will need a recommendation for a suitable safety goggle! As always, ALL suggestions gratefully accepted. No, I certainly don't to throw money down a rat hole and buy a cheap laser. Buy a good product and cry the first time; buy a cheap one and cry twice! What ever company I buy from, I need one with FDA approval; don't want to fight with US Customs. FDA has a site that lists company-of-origins that they "hold" without even bothering to inspect the actual product shipped!

Please stick to this one thread and do not create any more on the same topic. This is a warning.

Still struggling to find a 520-532 green laser that will project a small daylight visible beam out to 150-200 meters, function in 0-30C temps, is IR filtered, uses rechargeable batteries, has a constant on/off switch, and meets FDA requirements. If I need to pay more for a lens to focus the beam, so be it. The aim of the function is to give me a beam spot of 11 1/2-3 inches out to 200 meters. Could someone PLEASE point me to someone who can sell/build this? Any guidance gratefully accepted/Chaz

Encap

Still struggling to find a 520-532 green laser that will project a small daylight visible beam out to 150-200 meters, function in 0-30C temps, is IR filtered, uses rechargeable batteries, has a constant on/off switch, and meets FDA requirements. If I need to pay more for a lens to focus the beam, so be it. The aim of the function is to give me a beam spot of 11 1/2-3 inches out to 200 meters. Could someone PLEASE point me to someone who can sell/build this? Any guidance gratefully accepted/Chaz

520nm does not emit any IR.

Daylight visable beam for 200 meters?? :crackup:
You will need about 500mW of green to begin to have the beam visible during the daylight. To have it obviously visible in broad daylight, you will need well over a watt of 532nm

As one member put it:
"I have yet to find a laser that produces a visible beam in bright sun light.
There is just no good way to do it. Even if you could, the use of a laser with sufficient power would mean having to use goggles, which kind of negates what you're trying to do in the first place." post #6 here http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/advice-daylight-line-laser-64554.html

You can never compete with the sun. It always win. Even the beam from 2 watts is hardly visible in sunlight. The night time is a different story. 100mw is clealy visible. 1 watt is SUPER bright.

If you only need to see a dot not the beam in daylight OK you can see a dot in daylight with less output power.

Last edited:
Agreed^ are you specifically looking for 520nm? Also whay are you using it for if you dont mind me asking(just so we can help you find one)?

Hi joeybab3 and Gabe/ yes, I just need the visible spot. Daylight use only. Several of us need then to line up six (6)poles (diameter about 3/4 inch) that we will stick in the ground. Will place the laser on a bench, then walk downrange placing the poles at intervals out to 200 yards. Laser will be placed so as to line up on a "target" at 200 yds. Lining up the laser on the bench will mean being right next to it so I am concerned about IR emissions and a good filter. I will be walking away from the bench but looking back in its' direction so I badly need your recommendation for safety goggles. 175 or 200 Mw, 520 or 532 doesn't matter as long as it produces a small dot (1/2 inch to 3 inch). If I need something to multiply or further focus the beam to keep the downrange small, that is OK. If the beam starts from the bench at 2 inches, that is just fine. We will be in outdoor working temps from 0 to 30C. It is the function I/we need. Thanks again for your guidance; would be lost without it./Chaz

An addendum/ this needs to be manufactured/shipped by a company that is FDA compliant. US Customs/FDA has a list, by country, of those companies that are not. Customs then holds/destroys shipments without ever inspecting them........as I understand it. When I checked the list a few days ago, those included were Dragon Lasers, Laser Glow, Wicked Lasers, Bob Laser, just to name a few out of a very long list. No sense having my laser sit in a Customs shed in San Francisco for ever & ever./Chaz

Gabe

Hmm, I still think Jetlasers PLE-Pro is your best bet. If your package for whatever reason gets stopped by customs, they'll sent another one at no cost until it arrives to you. It's IR filtered, a beam expander attaches directly onto it, and its quality-built and reliable. Although, remember that if you have safety goggles on, you'll have NO idea where the dot is. So you couldn't really line up anything with it, cause you wont be able to see it. So when you're walking away, you can have them on, but when you take them off be absolutely sure you're out of its path so you don't get flash blinded immediately after the goggles are taken off. Good goggles, btw, are found here: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles
Buy these if they need to fit over glasses: Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Slip Over Laser Safety Goggles

Last edited:
Hi Gabe......thanks so much for your guidance. Just got back from vacation-family reunion so I have not acted on your lead. Just unpacked. Promise to do so Sunday and will probably make the purchase Monday. Will provide feedback to you. Again, thanks for helping a rank newbee/Chaz

Gabe

Haha that's funny, within that time I've actually bought a 300mW Jetlasers PL-E Pro, it's on the way still atm. When I get it and after I make the review for it, you can ask away with any questions you may have that I could answer for it. No problem, here to help :beer: