Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Badly need help/advice

My searches online don't point me to what I need to buy; it is use specific and the criterions are:
1. Green 532 200 mW laser pointer
2.22mm or smaller body
3.constant on/off switch
4.working temp from 0 to 30 C
5.duty cycle of 120 seconds /30 seconds or better
6.IR filter/shield tested
7.FDA COMPLIANT
8.rechargable battery
9.beam diameter at aperture small enough to give 1.5 inch or tighter (3.8cm) at 200 meters (< or = 1.0mm I think)

Since I cannot seem to find this, is there anyone out there with a good rep/reliable enough to build one? I am NOT, repeat NOT looking for a cheap unit. Trust me when I say that there is a market out here for this item; I may just be the test case............thanks...........newbe Chazgreen

My searches online don't point me to what I need to buy; it is use specific and the criterions are:
2.22mm or smaller body
3.constant on/off switch
4.working temp from 0 to 30 C
5.duty cycle of 120 seconds /30 seconds or better
6.IR filter/shield tested
7.FDA COMPLIANT
8.rechargable battery
9.beam diameter at aperture small enough to give 1.5 inch or tighter (3.8cm) at 200 meters (< or = 1.0mm I think)

Since I cannot seem to find this, is there anyone out there with a good rep/reliable enough to build one? I am NOT, repeat NOT looking for a cheap unit. Trust me when I say that there is a market out here for this item; I may just be the test case............thanks...........newbe Chazgreen
Why did you post it twice? 1 thread is enough

2.22mm or smaller body...
Chazgreen

A pointer indicates you want a handheld. 2.22mm? The diodes alone are larger than that, not even counting the heatsink. :thinking:

Let us know if you find one. :crackup:

Ed

He can get one made somewhere, maybe needs final assembly but 22mm diameter is not a problem, right? Did you really mean 2mm? FDA compliant might be the bigger problem.

Last edited:
I guess I read that wrong. Since there was no space between the list number and the list item, I read it as all one number, 2.22 mm.

Using my best Emily Litella voice, "Nevermind." :eek:

Ed

Last edited:

Gabe

HL 532nm 50-300
^closest thing you can buy from a company, really.
Yeah, you could likely get a machinist here to build one with most of those specs, although you might have to go with a 520nm green diode, it's practically the same colour if you don't look too hard, it's simpler to make into a custom host, probably could lead to a better duty cycle, etc. Not sure if your divergence/beam diameter specs could be fully met, though

Current technologies don't lend themselves to make a pointer that is 22mm diameter with that low of a divergence at 200mw of 532nm output. Please explain why you need a spot size of that small of a diameter at that distance & 200mw of output power? Those particular constraints lock us out from being able to produce what you are asking for, but I suspect you know that. We could build this if you didn't limit the size to something that small, the lens is the problem, it would need to be too large a diameter on a 532nm 200mw DPSS laser.

Maybe some special lens could make the spec. so the pointer would have a 22mm or less diameter, but I have no clue what that would be, if you are serious, that's where you need to do your research. Now that I've run the numbers on this, I am wondering how much the lens materials (what they are made of/refr. index) affect the divergence of a collimated laser beam, or is it all about expansion and beam diameter at infinity focus alone (aside from the device)?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your responses; please understand that electronics beyond a light switch on the wall is a challenge for me. I would be placing the laser on a bench, then using the beamed spot to line up six poles (paced in the ground) in the ground out to a distance of 200 meters. Stick the first in the ground 30 yards in front of the bench, then move past that to place each successive one; total of 6 poles. Daylight opertions seems to call for 200 mW of power.??? A beam size of 3 or 4 inches at 200 meters makes lining up the farthest ones not so good. The device I have to hold the laser pointer (laid flat on the bench while I walk to place poles) won't fit anything larger than 23mm. It now holds a 5mW laser by Hotec; it is useless in daylight. While I can describe the physical application, I cannot begin to understand the science................can anyone throw me a lifeline? Thanks/Chaz

Gabe/ I researched the HL532 200 mW. They show it to have a beam diameter of 2.1mrad, a divergence of 1.2mrad. I wouldn't know a mrad if it bit me on the leg. True humble confession. The op temp is listed at 10-30C. We would be using them from 30F to 85F. I joined your website & posted this question because I realize there are a ton of folks that are more science-oriented than I am...a 71 year old U.S.Coast Guardsman..........thanks for understanding/Chaz

Gabe

Totally fine, I understand. First off, the beam diameter is 2.1 millimeters, not milliradians (mRad) :p hopefully that clears some of the confusion up.
To have a dot of 3 inches at 200 meters, the laser will need to have a divergence of .37 mRad. The smaller the number, the less it spreads out.
A divergence of 1.2 mRad will mean that at 200 meters, with a beginning diameter of 2.1 mm, the spot size will be 242 mm across, which is equal to 9 1/2 inches. Yikes. Like mentioned, a beam expander could greatly reduce divergence, but bring the size of the laser up. Up to you how you wanna deal those cards :)

Last edited:
Hi Gabe/ thanks for trying to educate me in a way I can (sort of) grasp. Appreciate that. Am I at least in the ball park thinking that a 200mW would get a good visible beam spot? What if I shortened my working distance to 150 meters? It sounds like I would have to rig up myself something to hold a larger diameter laser and put it on a base of some sort.. That being said, what would a "beam expander" do to help me? Thanks for trying so hard to help me/Chaz

Gabe

Oh, 200mW of green will absolutely be visible. What a beam expander does, is it expands the starting size of the beam. I suppose that's a given. Like if it's a 10x beam expander, it will change the diameter from 2.1 mm to 21mm. This may not seem like it will help, but there's a trade off. The larger the beam starts out as, the less it will spread. So while initially the spot may be larger, it will stay nearly that size for a very long distance, and soon will be much smaller than a laser sans expander. I don't know enough about them to tell you how much it reduces divergence by, though.

Im assuming you tried 301's? (I know you said not cheap but hey they work alright)

Gabe & joeybab3/do not know what a 301 is.........is it like a 520? again, I admit I am lost at sea. Would I have better luck if I tried to find a 520 nm laser? I just want a beam spot I can see in daylight at 150 to 200 meters. Would a 175 mW be visible in daylight? I am just interested in the function. I understand 520s have a better op temp. Clearly I may have to settle for something with a larger body diameter & jury rig a holder. I don't know what sites to look at to find much other than the 532's. If the beam spot will stay small out to 150-200 meters, it will meet my needs. It is all about practical application. Again, thanks so much for your help/Chaz

Gabe

A "301" is a type of really cheap, mass produced Chinese laser, often known for its reputation of being very low cost, and a 'hit or miss' type of quality.
Here, this is a link to Jetlasers, they're extremely high quality lasers. They seem to fit some of the bill, 300mW so it's super visible. Most importantly, you have the option of adding one of their beam expanders, which screws directly on to the laser. But yeah, you might have to find a new way to mount it, as it's nearly twice as wide as your rig allows.

Last edited: