Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Australian

Rekoil

Hello people im quite new and i was on youtube and found these laser videos i instantly liked it and when i saw the 200NM red laser i said "this is gonna be my hobby" but unfortunately our country has banned over 1NM lasers :wtf: so i hit a roadblock and i decided to leave it but i just cant but i have no idea how to build a home made laser im not sure if i even have the parts so if anyone can give me any tips it would be great :)

jib77

You have a lot of reading ahead of you. No one here is going to spoon-feed you the information (more than likely what you need has already been discussed). Start with the stickies and use the search feature. And oh yeah, Welcome to the forum!

Everything You need to know about building a laser can be found in the forum. Read up on things, and then ask the questions. That way You will understand the answers You get. Welcome to LPF.

Welcome to LPF!

I am a fellow Aussie, if you need any help with your first build I'd be happy to help. I also import parts and build lasers my self for people within Australia. Importing of a laser over 1mw could result in a confiscation, but shipping within Australia is totally fine. Where abouts are you situated in Australia?

^ Nice offer! Welcome Aussie, btw you should first introduce yourself in the Welcome thread. Read a bit of the information first and you will see it's all here on LPF. :)

As the others said, read read read, this forum is full of great information, check out the stickies and search first.

Its a awesome hobby, but watch out, you might get hooked!

Rekoil

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! lots of good info here i currently live on the outskirts of sydney :) i was thinking of getting a red 200MW laser from a site (forgot the name) but when i found you couldent import so i decided to work my way up so i think im gonna start with a 50MW

You can still import lasers and components I believe. Just not 'pointers' over 1mw. You can buy the components and put one together yourself, or buy a labby if your not looking for something portable.

G´day mate
At this forum you arrived just at the perfect place. You will find exellent help because around here are many Laserwizards ( except me ) any tons of helpful links.

Good on ya mate !

Rekoil

im thinking of buying a 200MW green laser

once i have this i would take it apart and make a step by step construction template

any thoughts good/bad idea?

DJNY

MW = MegaWatt
W = Watt
mW = MilliWatt

1MW = 1.000.000.000mW

1Watt_Definition_1Joule_durch_s_GTKW_MV4.jpg

You´re looking for a 200mW green. This is much power for a first laser but it should be possible to get it. I don´t know too much about the Australian customs but do they open EVERY package? I´ve sent a lot of lasers around all over the world, camouflaged as a gift and I never had problems with customs when sending out a laser. There is a shipping method at my local post office which allows me to send the packages as a letter, no custom confirmation needed.

Talk to bobhaha if you want a laser from inside of AUSTRALIA, but I don´t know if he is able to build you a 200mW green.

Welcome to the addiction.

Last edited:
i can confirm all modules and non-portable lasers will make it through Australian customs regardless of power, but anything over 1mw and handheld will be confiscated. another option is sending the front part of the laser and the tailcap and battery separate, which is risky but sometimes works to get a laser through customs