Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

AUHH! my eye!!  (learn from this please)

I made a spinning mirror motor thingy recently. The mirror COMPLETELY flew off while it was running and hit me right in the eye. :eek: :eek:. I was lucky it was the corner of my eye. Its not bleeding, just really red.

BE SAFE FOLKS!!

Learn a lesson from this. Wait for glue to dry before powering up spinner motor mirror thing.

I'm not blind. This wasn't a laser accident don't worry about that.

sorry for laughing, but hahahahaha ;D

yes in all seriousness safety goggles are always a good thing in both working with electrical equipment/machinery and laser safety goggles when working with lasers

Re: AUHH! my eye!!  (learn from this please)

Yeah, its okay to laugh because I didn't suffer any damage other than red and sore eye. And also, it may be a little misleading too.

I would have been wearing my laser shades if I was actually operating the laser, but I was just testing the spinning. Its not a good spinny mirror thing, I threw it together in about 3 minutes. it works good now. I'm just glad the piece of sharp plexi glass didn't fly off too! :eek:

wow
not what you would expect to read in a laser form and sombody saying my eye : ) but kinda funny but glad you didnt loose your eye.... the worst part is spining cd's of death you know the ones that have a 12v motor attached to a 42v battrie suply and it spins so fast that when somting hits it it shadars and peaces get imbeded itnto your chest.... ya its not fun wount recomend it : )

but anways glad you are safe and next time whare gogles

I usually do wear goggles. I just didn't think anything of this "little motor. I wonder what would happen if I poike a cd spinning at 70,000 rpm? :eek:

Things

lol i see titles for threads like this, and im like, ok who blinded themself thistime, but it usually turns out to be something physical ;D ;D ;D

Phazonx said:
I usually do wear goggles. I just didn't think anything of this "little motor. I wonder what would happen if I poike a cd spinning at 70,000 rpm? :eek:

If the CD won't shatter, probably nothing. Meaning that it probably won't move at all.

Man, spinning CDs fast and then pop them off the motor to have them zip across the room and keep on turning although they hit a wall is really cool...although when I am powering a 12V motor with 12V, I think I am not really on the fast side...

Switch

philguy said:
[quote author=Phazonx link=1197173037/0#4 date=1197182648]I usually do wear goggles.  I just didn't think anything of this "little motor.  I wonder what would happen if I poike a cd spinning at 70,000 rpm? :eek:

If the CD won't shatter, probably nothing. Meaning that it probably won't move at all.

Man, spinning CDs fast and then pop them off the motor to have them zip across the room and keep on turning although they hit a wall is really cool...although when I am powering a 12V motor with 12V, I think I am not really on the fast side...[/quote]

It would still probably hurt like hell if it hit you in the nose...

aww dude, I have to find that old star shaped CD that messed up my cd player. Spin that thing and let it fly!.

I think I might try that behind some kind of shield.

Something really fun to do is put a golf ball in a funnel and blow high compressed air on the side of the ball.
IT SPINS ABOUT 50,000 RPM. When it lands on cement, it just jumps up a tiny bit, but it will never rocket off because it doesn't have a good grip.

Now, what will happen if I did that with a rubber bouncy ball? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

wow thats cool bit i still think cd's spinning on a 12v motor with a 42v battrie suply run across the floor pretty good even when they come in contact with other object. also i have re build my spining cd of doom machine after my first acident i put it away but recently brought it back out becas its soo cool.... like common how many people can get a normal cd to cut through its own cd case..... litterly cut it in half with a normal cd :) its sweet.... untill it develops that stress crack then you better watch out becaus things go down hill fast .... reallly fast : )

Dr. Evil said:
CDs + Dremel = fun!

http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm

I've tried this myself. Make sure you wear protection.

I've done this as well, with a big industrial DeWalt dremel-ish thing. A small Dremel doesn't have a lot of torque, so it's very difficult to spin a CD up that fast with a standard Dremel, it won't reach full speed. But this DeWalt http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=2750: 30,000 rpm, just on and off, no adjustable speed, and the motor big enough to turn the CD at full speed. The CD did explode just from the "centrifugal" force (in quotations because there's really no such force). Still one of the coolest noises I have ever heard: "weeeeeeeeeeeee-PAH!!" Lodged pieces of the CD in the ceiling of my dorm hallway. We were all being safe, had protection and shielding and everything. Completely awesome, just be REALLY careful.

the mythbusters spun cd's with a rotary tool until they practically vaporized(broke into tiny pieces) ;D it was cool

tatman

pullbangdead- what do you mean centrifugal force doesn't exist?