Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon Questions?

This piece of glass actually MIGHT be angled toward a photodiode. As the filter and light sampling optic may be one in the same, assuming that this does have a line filter. Tge manual says that if you remove the light sampling assembly, you should see a great increase in power on a single line tube, but hardly any difference in power in a multiline tube, due to a line filter.

You will have to unscrew the front housing of the tube and there should be a sort of rubbery round piece that fits right over the output mirror. If it has a line filter, it will be in that assembly. For quick testing you can just move it out of the way and see if you get any additional lines. If not, just put it back together. If you DO get more lines, then take apart the light sampling assembly (the little rubbery circle piece that was on the output end of the tube) and remove the piece of glass. Or just dont put the piece back in (although I would put it back in because it helps keep the OC mirror clean)

Here is the quote from the manual:

"On single line lasers, a power
increase will always happen since a line filter is
installed In the Beam Splitter Assembly.

On the multiline (ML) lasers, a very slight increase
of power output should be noted."

This is in the section referring to the cleaning of the beam sampler for light mode. It is for "2001" series lasers so I'm not sure if it applies to the cylindrical models, but I don't know why it wouldn't.

This is what I see when I unscrew the front......what do you think..do I need to go further...I am such a noob and dont know what all I am looking at here.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 109

daguin

That's the photodiode assembly for the light control circuit.

Peace,
dave

so when I take it all apart I get this......the lens is at an angle

Attachments

• 2_025.jpg
    2_025.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 126
the only diffraction grating i have is from an lcd projector....idk if that would effect anything...but here is the reflected beam off the grating....I dont know if i see any other lines....is there anything else i can do to check

This is without the photodiode assembly---it looks brighter now :)

Attachments

• dfr.jpg
    dfr.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 125

daguin

The first picture shows the beam splitter that diverts part of the beam into the photodiode

The second picture shows that it is single line (488nm). There are no other color lines evident.

I cannot tell from the third picture if that mirror is on the end of the tube or not. If it is on the end of the tube,you are done digging.

Peace,
dave

yes....the mirror is on the end..so when I put this back together is it alright if i remove the glass from the photodiode assembly to keep it at a higher power.......what is the reason for having that in there in the first place...?

diachi

KGB_Productions said:
yes....the mirror is on the end..so when I put this back together is it alright if i remove the glass from the photodiode assembly to keep it at a higher power.......what is the reason for having that in there in the first place...?

It's there so that you can control the laser in light mode and keep it at a VERY stable power level. Without it you would have no light mode , but not many people use light mode( mainly used for scientific purposes ), most of us prefer current control  :cool:

-Adam

daguin

KGB_Productions said:

If you intend on using the internal rheostat (the knob on the front off the PSU) you NEED the photodiode for light control.

Peace,
dave

Steve (Mixed Gas) from PL:

35 will be the spec power of operation for one year in mW, so 35 mW. LL is the optics designator and means a custom part in this case. Have you fired it up?

o ya...i have run it 5 times in the last 2 days.....

so dave...if all am going to use this for is scanners should I leave it on or take it off...i just want it to be as bright as possible now :p

daguin

KGB_Productions said:
o ya...i have run it 5 times in the last 2 days.....
so dave...if all am going to use this for is scanners should I leave it on or take it off...i just want it to be as bright as possible now  :p

We are going beyond my personal experience now.

We know it will work without it
I have one with a blown light control assembly that I can adjust the brightness of with a remote

Intuitively, I would say you can run it without this in place. If you are satisfied with the beam, go for it.

Peace,
dave

@ Cyparagon -- "Custom" never even crossed my mind :-[

I really wish I had a LPM to tell the difference  :-/

.......would anybody here be willing to "rent" me one......meaning I will paypall you the cost of the LPM as insurance..then I will use and return it.. and you return the paypal payment...minus a few $$ for that person????

PM me

measure the current without the light control section in place. If it is at 10A, put it back in. It may be increasing to full current to try to get the amount of light it is 'expecting' to see. You dont want the tube running balls out all the time, 8A is a good safe level. There are a couple pins on the PSU that you measure voltage between to get your tube current but I cant remember which pins they are....

......what if I put it back in place BUT remove the lens.....??? then it can still "see" the light but it would be brighter?