Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ARGMeter the Open Source Laser Power Meter

ARG

Not at all, I am here to help :)

The rail drops on the Max IC vary from each IC, most have smaller drop, but a .2V drop shouldn't be a problem with reading accuracy. It's on the high side of the voltage drops, but nothing I would consider abnormal. If you have a couple of fresh 9V's with similar voltages you can test it out and see if the voltage difference changes readings.

You can also use an LM317 and LM337 with adjustable pots like you said to create +5.000V/-5.000V rail accuracy, but I don't think that's necessary.

I'm currently remodeling this part of the meter, using a cheap 5V to +/-15V convertor. IIRC someone has already used it in their build. Then it can be regulated to +/-12V with LM317/LM337 regulators. This way it can also be run off of USB.
I was actually going to breadboard this soon, I'll post the results when it's done.

Last edited:

I'd try that if I had the stuff here but unfortunately I don't and if I order on ebay today I'll get them one or two months from now :(

If the 5V converter works that'll be ideal. I remember seeing a couple posts saying they are too noisy for this and could damage the head, but maybe the regulators can fix that.

Do you think that "zeroed" 12.5mV is normal?

ARG

Yup, zeroing at 12.5mV is high, but normal.

The 5V converters used in the Kenometers were extremely noisy, and IIRC they didn't use regulators, just a couple of capacitors, they also need a minium load to be stable so resistors between ground and each rail have to be added. I put the right values of capacitors where necessary and the linear regulators should help remove any ripple. It's still in Alpha though so it may not work. We'll see :beer:

My Ophir head zeros perfectly at +/-7mV and has +11mV zeroing at +/-9.5V
It reads accurately against a Coherent Fieldmax (after subtracting the zeroing value) so it is just fine :)

I really hope you get it to work :)

Good to know it's normal, I'll just jave to add a zero button.

ARG

Yup, or if your Ophir always zeros at the same value you can just do -12.5mW in the firmware :)

Man that thing is sweet. Makes me want to gwt a second LPM just so I can have it!

ARG

Man that thing is sweet. Makes me want to gwt a second LPM just so I can have it!

The best part is you would only have to buy/build the base, since you already have an Ophir head with your no-spin. :) Can interchange it between LPM's.

ARG

Or you could just add 300mW to make the 1Watt Laser you are
selling read higher...:whistle:

Unfortunately that is a problem with giving people access to the code. I think that most people who have the know-how to modify the code would be smart enough not to lie about the output :)

Or you could just add 300mW to make the 1Watt Laser you are
selling read higher...:whistle:

Jerry

Or I could photoshop the EagleEye(TM) reading if I had a bee...

EDIT: forgot the TM, don't want to get sued XD

Last edited:
hmm. The link in the OP for pricing and ordering seems broken. It's asking me if I want to create a site instead of letting me view it.

as i said in another thread, not sure if he is still making these anymore. i know he took some time off to complete his tri-diode laser and this thread has been dead for 2 months.

ARG

I've temporarily shut down the site. I have learned much from the first 10 meters and everything is currently undergoing an overhaul; firmware, PCB, schematics, parts list, website, tutorials ect.

There's going to be a new one available soon, and it's going to be an improvement on the first. The biggest difference will be the documentation.

I want to make this easier to read and understand for electronics noobs, this project failed in that not a lot of people tried to DIY.
My previous designs are very informal, so I am reworking all of it in a more professional manner. I didn't think it was showing that badly, but after some reworking I realised that the manner in which I displayed my work was poor. :(

I've started it all from scratch.

Drop me a PM if you need anything and I'll help you out.

You keep posting semi random post in various threads. He shut the site down since he no longer makes the ARGMeter V1.1

he now makes a different LPM with Trevor called Rubicon and their project is called Delta.

Do some reading and research before posting, it goes a long way :beer: