Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ARGMeter the Open Source Laser Power Meter

ARG

ARGMeter the Open Source Laser Power Meter

ARGMeter is an open source laser power meter platform for the Arduino. The goal of this project is to give hobbyists access to a DIY LPM design for only the cost of hardware that they can expand and modify to suit their needs. This project has been through many prototypes and many designs, and is finally ready for release.
Rather than clutter up a thread will all the details I put everything on a website for anyone to use. https://sites.google.com/site/arglaserpowermeter/home
The project is continually under design and additions are made frequently, if you see a bug or mistake please PM me, email me or post here so that I may change it.

k9EkuAR.png

Features

* Ophir 20C-A and TEC compatible
* Real time data logging via PC or MAC
* 2.5" Liquid Crystal Display
* Full back light control
* Auto Zeroing
* Peak power
* Run with 9V battery or a 9V AC plug pack
* Up to 0.1mW resolution
* Up to 60 measurements per second
* Customizable splash screen

TEC (Will vary based on TEC and paint used)
* 4W max
* 25s response time (0-95%)
* 50W/cm^2 max power density
* <1mW noise
* True curve adjustment

Ophir 20C-A
* 4W max
* 0.8s response time (0-95%)
* 0.5mW noise
* See datasheet for full details.

Schematic/Materials/Firmware

All documentation of ARGMeter can be found here: https://sites.google.com/site/arglaserpowermeter/home

Support

I put in a lot of effort, time and money developing ARGMeter. I appreciate any support if this project has helped you.

All proceeds will go towards the cost of hardware for the future development of ARGMeter.
Thank you to all supporters.
-Me
-Trevor
-Pman
-awillis
-Seoul_lasers

Licensing

ARGMeter is released under the terms of the GNU GPLv3. For more information, see the official site.
The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

I would appreciate if anyone who wants to sell this design gets permission from me first.

Last edited:

Wow ARG, Thanks for this project! I am planning on a LPM build, I have the microcontrollers, LCD and all the miscellaneous parts lying around. All I need is the TEC and I'll give it a shot :)

No problem! :)
Make sure you choose the right TEC, I put a small buyers guide for LPM TEC's here:
https://sites.google.com/site/arglaserpowermeter/configuration#TOC-TEC-Preparation

Thanks for the TEC advice. I am thinking of this one sold at dealextreme (yes, they sell TECs!): TEC12706AJ Thermoelectric Cooler Cooling Plate - White - Free Shipping - DealExtreme. It is 40x40mm so rather small, and runs at 12V 6A. No word on the amount of junctions, although it states "- Element logarithmic: 127" which sounds like it may be related. They also sell lots of other TECs at Thermoelectric - Free Shipping - DX.

Please tell me if the one I linked to will work. I hope it will.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:

ARG

40mmx40mm is pretty large for an LPM TEC, it will work but your response times will be around 2 minutes most likely. Around 10mmx10mm is ideal, 20mmx20mm is usually around the max you want for an LPM TEC.

That one is cheap though.

Last edited:
40mm square may be too big. 8 to 12 mm square seems to be the more ideal size. Something that big may take too long to register, or require too much laser input to work. Sure, it may be able to handle 10 Watts, but it may not see anything under 100mW.

Even the 12mm seem to have close to a 30 delay before they stabilize and read the correct power of the laser.

Edit: Arrg! (beat me to it.)

Edit Edit: How are the TEC-based LPMs to be calibrated? Is it just a ballpark guess, if we use a known TEC?

Last edited:

ARG

Edit Edit: How are the TEC-based LPMs to be calibrated? Is it just a ballpark guess, if we use a known TEC?

Even if a known TEC is used the paint used will be different for everybody as the same paints aren't available world wide; that alone will throw off the calibration values. I'll have a calibration guide out soon for TEC LPM's. In short it's a combination of the OPA gain and the values in the firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks ARG! This is just wonderful! Do you have an estimated price on all of the parts required for the build?

Are you selling the empty PCBs?

EDIT: Nevermind ARG, I found it on your website. :beer:

Last edited:

ARG

Are you selling the empty PCBs?

EDIT: Nevermind ARG, I found it on your website. :beer:

Yup :) If you need help with assembly please PM me as the hardware assembly guide is not done yet. :beer:

ARG

Thanks MM :)

I got the PayPal notification, your PCB will be at the post office in a couple of hours :beer:

Hey Arg,

are you going to release the gerbers? Or is that a bad thing to ask for? (I don't know)

ARG

The eagle board file has been released for the data logging attachment, I should process some gerbers for it so that all programs can read it; thanks for reminding me.

You can have the board file for the power meter if you want, just PM me. It's not yet on the site because it's not fully ready for release. I'm making a few modifications (specifically to the jumpers, and I may end up removing the contrast pot and leave it floating, rather than having a jumper to make it floating. The routing is also being made more eye pleasing) before release.

Last edited:
No problem! I can wait for the release like everyone else. I was just asking! :beer: