Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are my eyes broken?

As you go up in higher power of 532nm green the beam appears not so much brighter as it is both brighter and much more solid looking.

Does your 600mW have a really nice sold looking beam---it should at that output

It's solid, but my definition of bright has to be different than most.

I have owned various outputs of green ranging from 1mW to 1800mW. I currently have a 500mW green laser doing 700mW and another laser doing a little over 200mW. I really can't tell the difference between both because they are both so damn bright. The only way I can tell th difference is if I hold them side by side and even then its still hard to tell. It's not your expectations. It's just that they are both bright. It takes roughly 4X green to actually notice a difference. so with a 200mW laser you'd need roughly 800mW to achieve double brightness. So don't be discouraged. Jetlasers is a good company and if you got a power graph then you "most likely" have an on spec laser.

This thread is the reason we tell members to get their 100000000mW green laser handhelds metered. "Oh look! I paid 45$ for an uber powerful laser! I know its not 100 million mW but it MUST be 500mW at least!"

Last edited:
I have owned various outputs of green ranging from 1mW to 1800mW. I currently have a 500mW green laser doing 700mW and another laser doing a little over 200mW. I really can't tell the difference between both because they are both so damn bright. The only way I can tell th difference is if I hold them side by side and even then its still hard to tell. It's not your expectations. It's just that they are both bright. It takes roughly 4X green to actually notice a difference. so with a 200mW laser you'd need roughly 800mW to achieve double brightness. So don't be discouraged. Jetlasers is a good company and if you got a power graph then you "most likely" have an on spec laser.

This thread is the reason we tell members to get their 100000000mW green laser handhelds metered. "Oh look! I paid 45$ for an uber powerful laser! I know its not 100 million mW but it MUST be 500mW at least!"

Jetlasers sent an lpm graph with it, but i'm not talking about that. I'm talking about how high power green seems decently bright to me, while it seems super bright to everyone else.

honeyx

Just a few thoughts from my side. Some people are colorblind. I´m not saying you are colorblind but there are many different forms of this and the point is their eyes are not that sensitive to green and red like for others. It´s mostly men who suffer this colorblindness, so your understanding of green and brightness could be a bit differend to us.

On the other side most powerful green lasers do have a wider beam diameter and do not appear that powerfull compared to a thin beam comming from a 200mW greenie. Their density is simply smaller due to the thiker diameter though it´s more powerful, but if you could make the beam as thin as the one comming out from a 200mW greenie, you would notice the difference very clearly.

Another aspect is the brightness of the dot. For me both dots (my 200mW and my 500mW+) appear almost white in the centre with a cone of green around it. This is because my retina gets saturated by the amount of light.

Therefore comparing the beams and the dots alone will not help you alot and your 600mW greenie may indeed appear not to be as bright as you expected, though it´s up to specs.

Best way (without having a LPM) to compare the brightness of both beams is by going outside and shining both lasers at night to some clouds. The more powerfull one should also appear more bright and you should also see the dot on clouds. Another way to test the brightness is by going into a dark room and shining both lasers onto a white surface to see how much they illuminate the whole room.

What is decently bright and super bright? It's all relative ...

That's what i'm saying, I just think that super bright is bright lite, or lite bright.

Just a few thoughts from my side. Some people are colorblind. I´m not saying you are colorblind but there are many different forms of this and the point is their eyes are not that sensitive to green and red like for others. It´s mostly men who suffer this colorblindness, so your understanding of green and brightness could be a bit differend to us.

On the other side most powerful green lasers do have a wider beam diameter and do not appear that powerfull compared to a thin beam comming from a 200mW greenie. Their density is simply smaller due to the thiker diameter though it´s more powerful, but if you could make the beam as thin as the one comming out from a 200mW greenie, you would notice the difference very clearly.

Another aspect is the brightness of the dot. For me both dots (my 200mW and my 500mW+) appear almost white in the centre with a cone of green around it. This is because my retina gets saturated by the amount of light.

Therefore comparing the beams and the dots alone will not help you alot and your 600mW greenie may indeed appear not to be as bright as you expected, though it´s up to specs.

Best way (without having a LPM) to compare the brightness of both beams is by going outside and shining both lasers at night to some clouds. The more powerfull one should also appear more bright and you should also see the dot on clouds. Another way to test the brightness is by going into a dark room and shining both lasers onto a white surface to see how much they illuminate the whole room.

I'm can't really compare them, since I got rid of the Krypton a few months ago, and have no other greens to actively compare it to. I'm mainly going from memory. But the colorblind thing is something I should probably look into at some point.

Encap

If you are not 100% happy with your 600mW email Gray and let him know that you were expecting brighter.

JetlLasers does a PL-E Pro in 800mw+ that runs really at 1000mW+ for 3-4 minutes before they settle back to 800mW+ --maybe you could return yours for credit and get as bright as they can supply for not much more.

Gray is good guy and only wants happy customers who feel they receive something of value that they really like and enjoy for the hard earned money spent.

JetLasers is very flexible and will work on it with you and give a very good price.

Last edited:
Hak made a comparison thread of a few Jetlasers 532's. Its purpose was to show that there is no real visible difference between 2 high power lasers with a couple of 100 mW difference. In addition, the lower powered laser looked to be brighter than, I believe, an 800 mW unit, because the divergence was better...;)

Anyway I had a look but I couldnt find the thread. It was something about a competition to tell the difference? :beer:

Last edited:
Hak made a comparison thread of a few Jetlasers 532's. Its purpose was to show that there is no real visible difference between 2 high power lasers with a couple of 100 mW difference. In addition, the lower powered laser looked to be brighter than, I believe, an 800 mW unit, because the divergence was better...;)

Anyway I had a look but I couldnt find the thread. It was something about a competition to tell the difference? :beer:

I know the thread youre talking about. I guess his expectations were too high for the little difference in brightness there would be

Last edited:

Tmack

Hak is a strong believer in that theory. Well fact really. He told me that two lasers being compared only differing by a couple hundred mw will both just look very bright. A spectator wouldn't say wow that one is brighter, they would say, wow they are both bright. He told me to remember this when the temptation to buy an expensive 532 with a ton of power, when a slightly cheaper, less powerful 532 would be very close visually. The thing you're getting with all that power isn't extremely noticeable until the lpm is broken out.

If you are not 100% happy with your 600mW email Gray and let him know that you were expecting brighter.

JetlLasers does a PL-E Pro in 800mw+ that runs really at 1000mW+ for 3-4 minutes before they settle back to 800mW+ --maybe you could return yours for credit and get as bright as they can supply for not much more.

Gray is good guy and only wants happy customers who feel they receive something of value that they really like and enjoy for the hard earned money spent.

JetLasers is very flexible and will work on it with you and give a very good price.

No i'm definitely happy with the laser. So much so that I had to fight to convince myself not to keep the 2W 445nm.

It takes roughly 4X green to actually notice a difference. so with a 200mW laser you'd need roughly 800mW to achieve double brightness.

On a parametric scale, it comes down to this. It is well documented.

Ask any of the display/projection guys.

Encap

No i'm definitely happy with the laser. So much so that I had to fight to convince myself not to keep the 2W 445nm.

Glad to hear you like it---is really a great laser!

One thing people have not mentioned, I don't know how old you are, is Age-Related Changes in Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity.
"The average retinal illuminance of the 60 year-old eye was estimated by Weale (1) as only about one third of that of the 20 year-old eye - due to the smaller pupil and increased density of the lens"

This is the reason for glass bead retroreflectors in roadway stripe paint which under car headlight beams look screaming bright to a 20 year old but not so bright to a 60 year old.

Interesting paper - see age related changes section: College of Optometry - Continuing Education

Encap

Hey Raiden,

If you would like there is this handy little tool that will tell you how brighter different lasers are.

Tool: Beam: (532nm 500mw) vs. (532nm 800mw)

The tool is wrong if you put in 200mW 532 and 800mW 532 is says 4X brighter for 800mW.

Yes it is 4X more powerful in output mW but only 2X brighter--to double brightness you need 4X power increase.

http://rohanhill.com/tools/RelativeBrightness/?nm1=532&mw1=200&nm2=532&mw2=800&useRaleigh=off&ChromaCompat=

Last edited: