Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic S3 Spyder Conversion help!

Fiddy

G'day,

Ive got complete arctic where the driver has gone a bit silly.

Firstly, when i got it it had a 445 diode and it was really dim, not so dim it was LED'd tho, i disconnected the diode and it was putting out 300mA on the test load which was odd, mean while the driver only has high mode and flashing, not CW and flashing on both high and low power like my other arctic i have.

I pulled the driver out and played with the 2 pots on the board, it had no effect on the output current. :thinking:

I put a XML T6 across the driver and i measured 600mA with a ammeter in series with the LED.

To add more fun, the diode was crazy glued into the heatsink :( my heat gun made fun of it tho!

This is what ive got:
arctic.jpg

Anyway, i wish to turn this baby into a 1W+ 635nm beast with one of those 500mW diodes, but i want to have the 3 LED's on the side of the host still light up or flashing when the laser is turned on via the tail cap.

I do not wish the for the tail cap to affect anything, id like for it to be lit up with the other 3x LED's on the side of the host.

My question is, what LED's do i use SMD style ones? anything special?

I think ill need to limit the current to the LED's i think they run at 20~30mA at ~2V so im thinking a 100 ohm resistor will do the trick?

Any help or tips is welcome, especially from the Vet's who have moded the arctic before!

Cheers! Fiddy.

AnthoT

Well I haven't modded an arctic but I've modded Xbox controllers with small LED's.
Any 0603 or 0805 SMD LED should work, I'd go with the 0603 because i've never had a problem with them fitting. If you'd like I got a bunch of those 0603 LED's in a couple of colors ;).

I would consider modding an Arctic ,IF somebody who had been there , done that were willing to help :) Cause I haven't done one single bit of modding or building as of yet and am very new but wish to develop a great hobby ..

Basically my idea would be to retain as much functionally of the original , Pulsed modes , low power / High power options, safety switch etc and still be able to use the extended lens kit and all of that ... but make it 2.5W and have it able to accept a different focusing ring ...

I don't even know if the higher power would somehow melt the lens kit or anything , so guys tell me if this is a bad idea ... on the other hand if somebody thinks it doable , but willing to provide assistance , that would be cool too !

Fiddy

Well I haven't modded an arctic but I've modded Xbox controllers with small LED's.
Any 0603 or 0805 SMD LED should work, I'd go with the 0603 because i've never had a problem with them fitting. If you'd like I got a bunch of those 0603 LED's in a couple of colors ;).

Sounds good i just ordered some :)

I would consider modding an Arctic ,IF somebody who had been there , done that were willing to help :) Cause I haven't done one single bit of modding or building as of yet and am very new but wish to develop a great hobby ..

Basically my idea would be to retain as much functionally of the original , Pulsed modes , low power / High power options, safety switch etc and still be able to use the extended lens kit and all of that ... but make it 2.5W and have it able to accept a different focusing ring ...

I don't even know if the higher power would somehow melt the lens kit or anything , so guys tell me if this is a bad idea ... on the other hand if somebody thinks it doable , but willing to provide assistance , that would be cool too !

i hate the smart switch on the arctic and it pisses me off it starts in low frequency pulse, ill use a high current 16 mode driver i think.

Fiddy

Interesting thread, im going to try and keep the indicator LED's change them to red to suit the color of the laser.

Yeah those lenses that come with the arctic are crap!

The current plan:

ARCTICPLAN.png

MadEye

Hi,

I just got an Arctic (G1, no smartswitch :)) and also want to mod it a little bit.

I did not disconnect anything at the moment, only unscrewed the "diode holder" to get a look into the inside.

My question: I see you took it completely apart, but these parts look like they are glued or anything like that. Only the crown and tailcap are to unscrew. Did you take it apart with pure violence or is there any trick? I already gave up to get the battery monitor working, I cant even see it when looking into the host :D

Hmm i have a forum member doing the same thing to my krypton that i shipped to him.
Guess it's not special now anymore :(

I have the led's changed to white. and 1w 635nm.

Nice build :yh::beer:

Fiddy

Hi,

I just got an Arctic (G1, no smartswitch :)) and also want to mod it a little bit.

I did not disconnect anything at the moment, only unscrewed the "diode holder" to get a look into the inside.

My question: I see you took it completely apart, but these parts look like they are glued or anything like that. Only the crown and tailcap are to unscrew. Did you take it apart with pure violence or is there any trick? I already gave up to get the battery monitor working, I cant even see it when looking into the host :D

When you deal with glue you must heat it up so it starts to reform then you go at it with the belt wrench as TJ said.

Hmm i have a forum member doing the same thing to my krypton that i shipped to him.

Haha, should be good, i would of loved to make the battery voltage indicators run off a couple of comparators, but i dont have the time or skill to get them made.

Just a question.. Is this the krypton you just bought? :p If yes why the hell would you take out that 1W dpss module out? And what are you going to do with it :)

Greetings,,

Just a question.. Is this the krypton you just bought? :p If yes why the hell would you take out that 1W dpss module out? And what are you going to do with it :)

Greetings,,

No i have two kryptons..
The 1W stay's ofcourse ^^
The 500mW version is shipped for changes.

See signature..

Cheers.

Last edited: