Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic burn skin pic ? gone ?

Tonga

I cannot see the pic at the top of the thread but if this burn was made with a 445nm laser he may have more damage to show up yet,..Melanoma! It may very well show up sooner than later. Don't ever do this to yourself or anybody else, wow!

Benm

Damn, i didn't see the picture of the arm before!

Is an idiotic idea, but then again, some people want to scar themselves, and i doubt using a blue laser would be much more dangerous than, say, a spoon heated in a gas stove flame or something similar.

Shaving the area is probably not required... i've had the accidental lock of hair in a laser beam, and i can assure you it will burn through readily. Ventilation would be a good idea though :D

As for the melanoma: 445 is by no means dna-damaging uv, so i expect the risks to be closer to that of a thermal burn than to a sunburn. I do see a fair number of moles on his arm though, and hitting those with a laser would certainly pose a risk. Disrupting them by any other means (cut, tattoo, burn etc) is also dangerous.

Last edited:

Is an idiotic idea, but then again, some people want to scar themselves, and i doubt using a blue laser would be much more dangerous than, say, a spoon heated in a gas stove flame or something similar.

Shaving the area is probably not required... i've had the accidental lock of hair in a laser beam, and i can assure you it will burn through readily. Ventilation would be a good idea though :D

As for the melanoma: 445 is by no means dna-damaging uv, so i expect the risks to be closer to that of a thermal burn than to a sunburn. I do see a fair number of moles on his arm though, and hitting those with a laser would certainly pose a risk. Disrupting them by any other means (cut, tattoo, burn etc) is also dangerous.

But if you look he shaved a square. He probably made those tiny burns near his wrist focusing it at 1st ( if you look really close they both have red skin around them just like the bigger burn). Then he decided to make a X scar burn with it and in preparation then shaved the area (you can tell he shaved a square in the area he wanted it) that also proves how dumb he is as well ( because you pointed out a obvious fact he would maybe catch if he was not drunk... "Or he could be just plain that dumb always.." And that fact is "if you can burn skin than hair would not matter of course and in fact it would burn faster due to it's darker color"........ He then gave him self a good scar X. Trying to impress the people around him or who would be around him later.

Do something "Ray-Tard-Tad" Before I die "CHECK"!!

Last edited:
Thank guys that was the picture i was thinking of.

Has this dude been banned ? i would like to see a new picture , see how it looks months on

Paul

Tonga

Not UV but are you sure about not dna damaging at that intensity for long enough to do that? I wouldn't bet my skin on that.:)

mfo

I cannot see the pic at the top of the thread but if this burn was made with a 445nm laser he may have more damage to show up yet,..Melanoma! It may very well show up sooner than later. Don't ever do this to yourself or anybody else, wow!

Ignorance at its finest.

Tonga

Well I see I got -reped again. Thanks MFO for the rep and the message. I think that being safer than sorry is being more careful. I didn't think that my post was out of line but a safety reminder for others, not being disrespectful at all.
Seems like a under current of hostility here.
thanks,

mfo

Well I see I got -reped again. Thanks MFO for the rep and the message. I think that being safer than sorry is being more careful. I didn't think that my post was out of line but a safety reminder for others, not being disrespectful at all.
Seems like a under current of hostility here.
thanks,

What hostility? I wasn't mean or rude. You gave out inaccurate information, and this isn't the first time you've done so. You say you have 35 years experience in the medical field, yet you act like no one has done research on the broad range of electromagnetic radiation and it's affect on living tissue. 445nm light is all around us, computers, sunlight, etc. 445nm light is not going to cause melanoma.

Do you own a mobile phone? I'd be more worried about the long term effects of one if those over a 445nm laser.

Not UV but are you sure about not dna damaging at that intensity for long enough to do that? I wouldn't bet my skin on that.:)

Oh, it'll kill DNA alright... right along with the rest of the cell.

The big problem comes up when only the DNA is damaged.

Tonga

What hostility? I wasn't mean or rude. You gave out inaccurate information, and this isn't the first time you've done so. You say you have 35 years experience in the medical field, yet you act like no one has done research on the broad range of electromagnetic radiation and it's affect on living tissue. 445nm light is all around us, computers, sunlight, etc. 445nm light is not going to cause melanoma.

Do you own a mobile phone? I'd be more worried about the long term effects of one if those over a 445nm laser.

Yes you are right about it being all around us but you don't receive it in one spot at that intensity. You are talking about a difference like that between apples and oranges.
As far as inaccurate information goes I don't have a problem with admitting if I am wrong on something or was misinterpreted. I do not have a background in electronics I wish I did and am always learning. My background is in chemistry with major in biochem been out of school 20 years now. I know how to do research but searching some things on the internet isn't so easy.
For instance I currently work with a blood bank at our medical center hear in Wichita. We have a wealth of info at our disposal here but sometimes a question will arise about something and finding a answer to it on the net is sometimes futile. Some things are just not there and couple that up with disinformation you really have to be careful with what you read.
Back to 445 light irradiation, I don't know a single physician with specialty in dermatology that would recommend irradiating yourself like the guy in question and it would scare the heck out of me to think of the damage farther in from the obvious damage that you can see. From my education in biochem I can easily imagine with the intensity used that there is damage unseen further down.
I also don't feel like I deserve the negative rep I got from you over my concern for safety of you and others, safety first and always. It seems like its hard to make friends around here.

mfo

Yes you are right about it being all around us but you don't receive it in one spot at that intensity. You are talking about a difference like that between apples and oranges.
As far as inaccurate information goes I don't have a problem with admitting if I am wrong on something or was misinterpreted. I do not have a background in electronics I wish I did and am always learning. My background is in chemistry with major in biochem been out of school 20 years now. I know how to do research but searching some things on the internet isn't so easy.
For instance I currently work with a blood bank at our medical center hear in Wichita. We have a wealth of info at our disposal here but sometimes a question will arise about something and finding a answer to it on the net is sometimes futile. Some things are just not there and couple that up with disinformation you really have to be careful with what you read.
Back to 445 light irradiation, I don't know a single physician with specialty in dermatology that would recommend irradiating yourself like the guy in question and it would scare the heck out of me to think of the damage farther in from the obvious damage that you can see. From my education in biochem I can easily imagine with the intensity used that there is damage unseen further down.
I also don't feel like I deserve the negative rep I got from you over my concern for safety of you and others, safety first and always. It seems like its hard to make friends around here.

I would like for you to answer my question about mobile phones.

I think the point is in the DNA damage/mutation difference. Damage occurs also from heating, something longer wavelength are also good at. Mutation is not thermally related but more wavelength dependent, here 445nm won't do much.
Maybe Tonga referred to the thermal damage, which kills the cell pretty much in a lot of ways as cyparagon stated. Proteins are thermally fragile. Could be the source of the misunderstanding, but I just a phycisist, not a biologist/chemist.

Tonga

I would like for you to answer my question about mobile phones.

Yes I have a cell phone. I've also heard about the dangers of the em from them. But again it is the level of exposure and time is a factor in any exposure. I really don't want to argue with you about it I'm not here for that. I'm here to learn and try to make friends, do you want to be friends?
I like LPF and support it I'm not a free loader, here to cause trouble. I have given donations I believe the last 2 months because I thought they needed it and I could do it. In January I gave $50. and can continue to do that for a while, luckily! With all the members that LPF has if just 16 of us gave $50. a month we would meet the donations goal with ease. I'm here to help, I don't know anything about electronics especially compared to you guys, but, I do know what I know and will try to help if I have experience with something or with the donations. I'm also not going to blow wind up anyones skirt and BS as I don't ever want that rep.
So, have I totally bored the heck out of you now or what?:yh:

mfo

Yes I have a cell phone. I've also heard about the dangers of the em from them. But again it is the level of exposure and time is a factor in any exposure. I really don't want to argue with you about it I'm not here for that. I'm here to learn and try to make friends, do you want to be friends?
I like LPF and support it I'm not a free loader, here to cause trouble. I have given donations I believe the last 2 months because I thought they needed it and I could do it. In January I gave $50. and can continue to do that for a while, luckily! With all the members that LPF has if just 16 of us gave $50. a month we would meet the donations goal with ease. I'm here to help, I don't know anything about electronics especially compared to you guys, but, I do know what I know and will try to help if I have experience with something or with the donations. I'm also not going to blow wind up anyones skirt and BS as I don't ever want that rep.
So, have I totally bored the heck out of you now or what?:yh:

Not trying to argue, just have a friendly debate. I was trying to prove a point that the radiation absorbed from a mobile is far greater than this one time of 445nm ans depicted above. Another point being is that there is cancer causing elements all around us, even the toxins in the air we breathe. A laser would be the least of my concerns, unless it's UVB or UVC.

And no, you didn't bore the heck out of me. I like you am also here to learn.

And sure, I have no problem being friends with you. As a matter of fact, I'll send the request as soon as I post this.

Also, forgive me for doing what I did. It's just there there are a lot of noobs here (not calling you one) that deliberately distribute misleading information, some of which is dangerous. It tends to get irritating after a while :) Sorry we got off on the wrong foot.

Tonga

Hey, man, thanks this is GREAT you bet! And not at all I am new. Just let me know if I screw up cause I'm not perfect but not my intention as I try to not look too stupid!
Hey as soon as I figure out how to do the same I'll send my request to you. And thanks again, you made my day,.. hell, week.

Last edited:
Yes I have a cell phone. I've also heard about the dangers of the em from them.

Not as much as you might think. 10 minutes in a tanning bed has the same dose as a much longer sit in the sun. It is more about energy than intensity.

So you're afraid of ionizing radiation, blue radiation, and microwave radiation, but not violet, or red or IR? I don't see a pattern. Those are some random λ, sir.
What determines whether you're afraid of a wavelength?