Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ANYONE OWNING A POINTER OR LARGER!!read this!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legally speaking, it doesn't matter what class the laser is. If it is a laser it is illegal in some jurisdictions to point it at these entities. Among them are cars, aircraft and police officers.

:bumpit: Not just because I CAN but because you need to read this! :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Last edited:
Unbelievable! There's one in every crowd. I hope there are able to find this A hole and deal with him to the fullest extent of the law.

Rifter

This incident "allegedly" happened Sunday at Ford field in Detroit during the football game between Detroit and Buffalo.

http:// http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/buffalo-bills-lasers-detroit-lions-kyle-orton-dan-carpenter

Then the idiot goes on twitter and boasts that he did it! :wtf:
Detroit Lions fan boasts on Twitter to using laser pointer at Bills-Lions game | syracuse.com

At least it sounds like they know who he is so hopefully can send some huge fines his way.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, they'll probably catch him and make an example out of him, but the damage is done.
One dumbass with a cheap green laserpen, can do more harm to this hobby in five or ten seconds than all the good we all can do as responsible laser users, that's the sad reality. :cryyy:
Between the 40,000+ fans at the stadium, the local news in both Detroit and Buffalo, and of course, the national news on all major networks;
this major black eye for the laser hobby was probably broadcast to half the damn country!

What a dumass!! After reading this thread my lasers are indoors only. They should put this guy in middle of the next game and all the fans can shine on him only while the game is played. The game itself should be replayed.
I know someone had something like this happen during a pool tournament. Someone flashed during her shot. Causing her to miss and lose the game. It wasnt a laser but the effect was the same.

Last edited:
This incident "allegedly" happened Sunday at Ford field in Detroit during the football game between Detroit and Buffalo.

http:// http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/10/buffalo-bills-lasers-detroit-lions-kyle-orton-dan-carpenter

Then the idiot goes on twitter and boasts that he did it! :wtf:
Detroit Lions fan boasts on Twitter to using laser pointer at Bills-Lions game | syracuse.com

OH NO!!!

I knew this would happen00 and it could have a greater efffect that someone lasing an aircraft--

IIRC--- There was a lasing incident during a pentilty kick IIRC at a big soccor match (Chile maybe) and within a very short time that country outlawed lasers very quickly-
now... granted futbol fans are very avid- and known to get crazy-
but I would not want to be caught lasing in a football game by the opposing fans--seems it would be quite easy to find them--

not like there are no cameras at these games-

bottom line for us
we get dozens on new members daily and you can be sure SOME will be doing the STOOPID as soon as they can get thier hands on a 'real' laser-

I would hope the rest of us would want to see if there was some way we can get a few to avoid doing that-- prolly a waste of our time- I laud our efforts to encourage protective eyeware --sometimes to a (too)great degree-- but if lasers get outlawed and we lose them we wont need eyeware anymore.

If you read of an incident near you please link it to this thread- we want newcomers to find it and read as some of our advice here is WAY more important than most know--

hak

Sad that those who haven't had enough time to develop grey matter will own and misuse them for notoriety. :(

You guys are getting too excited. This incedenT Is not a big deal and should be EXPECTED! stop being naive, people are idiots. Don't you think the gun community deals with similar yet much more serious issues on a daily basis? I do. One idiot goes to jail. Nobody will stop hobby laserists.

It sucks yes but lets be real,, this type of occurence will happen and it will never end our hoby regardless of a bit of damage. It is life.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I'm personally not excited, just pissed off. I think these incidents are a pretty big deal since most people's exposure to lasers has been either none at all, or the highly negative coverage from the media that all seem to involve incidents such as this, or aircraft lasings.
I do totally agree that this was expected, it just doesn't make the outcome any better.

I also agree that the gun community has to deal with serious issues daily, but as far as I know, the laser hobbyist community doesn't have any lobbyists supporting our cause, nor do we have the voice of the NLA (National Laserist Association) behind us.
Although that does have a nice ring to it! :D Maybe we need an NLA.

You're right, incidents like this won't stop hobby laserists outright, but it will make it harder for the average hobbyist to enjoy the hobby.
We already have evidence of this with companies cutting back on handheld sales, or completely eliminating their sales in the U.S.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Sad that my two biggest hobbies, airsoft and lasers, are constantly at threat thanks to a handful of deficient people out there. Props to everyone in this thread for spreading good information, as Hak said the best thing we can do is try to prevent future accidents/misuse... so keep on spreadin the good word everyone.

Last edited:
Your right bowtie. I did not mean to minimize on the seriousness of idiots committing dangerous crimes and or other activities with lasers. Lets just not get too carried away. History repeats over and over, if you'd like I am sure I can find an anologous situation, though I'd rather not...

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I agree, and think we're all on the same page here, that's why we've all thought it important enough to post in this thread. :)
We are all concerned about the future of our hobby. We know these incidents are going to continue to happen, and it's frustrating that we can't do a whole heck of a lot to change the outcome, other than to try and enlighten those who stop by here at LPF.

Also, as Hak has previously mentioned, if we continue to link these incidents to this thread, maybe a few will read it and refrain from doing these foolish stunts in the future!

Nute

THIS SHOULD HAVE A STICKIE!!! That being said this is a must read for new and old members alike. That 14 year prison sentence is just a drop in a bucket of what is to come if irresponsible people continue to do moronic things! The few bad eggs will ultimately cause us all to lose what we all here share as a common bond (Our Lasers). I plan to share this via my Facebook, and through word of mouth. I think we all should, as it may open the eyes to some unknowing or uncaring people that stand to jeopardize what it is that we love and promote here as a community, LASERS AND LASER SAFTEY!

I took in a lot from this thread, and gained new drive to further pass on what I know to someone who may or may not.

THANKS HAKZ!!!

-Nute

Last edited:
:bumpit: Another day, more newbies to the hobby have arrived. YOU NEED TO READ THIS WHOLE THREAD before going any further in this hobby. Yes Really! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.