Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone looking for a 488nm diode?

hard to buy lasers with deer. try dough also most vets already know but most people are not willing to drop that much on a diode that is why there are diode test/giveaways like the current one for the 1W 520nm diode

hard to buy lasers with deer. try dough also most vets already know but most people are not willing to drop that much on a diode that is why there are diode test/giveaways like the current one for the 1W 520nm diode

I totally agree, but if I were to say it I would be "rude".

Fixed it.

I contacted "wannaburnstuff" before posting this and decided to post it just in case somebody was on the look out for a 488nm diode, you never know:beer:

nice find! I wonder why someone would want a 488nm diode...

Thanks Cheesy! :angel:

The only thing I can think of is for viewing purposes(it would look amazing). Im sure there are many other applications this can be used for, I just have no clue haha.

All sorts of biotech applications. A useful wavelength. Good for measuring the concentration of molecules that absorb well there.
Also florescent markers like: Alexa Fluor® 488

And these guys think $4000 is very cheap.

Last edited:
This is well known about my friend :p

Of course id want one, but there are cheaper methods than buying from thorlabs...

Only reason I can see for a hobby use is the nice color.

488nm diode is still not happening unless something like the 476nm diodes surfaces. Noooot likely.

Lazeerer's is the 20mW diode.

gismo

Cool laser wavelength for not so much cool price:D. This one is absolutely out of $$$ range of 99% lasing mortals... not too many members who happen to own a true 488nm handheld laser:thinking:.

gismo

^

BelieveinZERO.jpg

:D

Told you this wasn't truly "new" ;)

With future technology, comes miniaturization. They have simply taken the large lab sized 488nm SL Ar ion, and they've shrunk it to the size of a BB.

This has it's pros and cons of course. With diodes, you will have a few nm of variance, +/-. With some applications, this doesn't matter, whatever they need it for will likely work with a couple nm of variance. Though if they need precision, the Ar-ion is going to stay where it's at. With a known wavelength to several sig figs, it's the perfect candidate for something like that. Not even DPSS can provide that accuracy.

This is why so many ions show up in surplus. Diodes and DPSS are quickly replacing them.