Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know whre to buy laser diodes that are 1 nm-100nm?

Encap

Would guess there won't be red tape that you have to deal with.
They called you and offered you the job second time, not the other way around.

You made the right choice. Will be an adventure for sure and will likely lead to other excellent opportunities in the future + if you didn't take the job, you would forever be kicking yourself over not taking it.
With your track record, proven skills and ability you can always go back to what you have been doing or something similar.
The MIT position is a, a fantastic and uncommon opportunity worth exploring, in my view.

Last edited:

I am speculating on the red tape, just that large organizations often have these rules they need to follow. Looks like HR got back to them and wanted to know when a good start date would be for me, which I responded to. So moving forward. Yes, I have already been kicking myself for weeks for not taking it the first time.

If all goes through on the offer, the long frame on the left, with copper waveguide, is the 4.6 GHz Klystron RF power amplifier system I will be responsible for as an RF engineer. I took this photo myself and embedded a photo showing of the inside of the Tokamak.

Last edited:
Yes, largest amplifier tubes I've ever seen myself, I've only seen photo's of stuff that big and a huge water pump to keep them cool. I love the idea of doing that job and working for that group, I don't love the cost of living in San Diego though, yikes, it's not cheap. I'm taking a large pay cut to go work for them, I hope the satisfaction is double compared to getting paid more. Even though this is the decision I've made, I keep having my stomach flip flopping over the pay difference. I keep telling myself it's a 40 hour a week job (once the dust settles, not this or next year though) and I can find more work to do on the side to make up for it.

Could be worse. It could be Hawaii. I knew a guy that moved there for work back in 1982 and paid $1000 for a 1 bedroom apartment. That was a lot of money back then.

I had an offer to work in Honolulu for 130K a year last month, turned it down, I'd want 150K to live there.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Pay in the US is so much better than the UK. £100k jobs over here are rare and mostly London based, and expenses are worse too.

It isn't much different in the USA, that job was to work as a communications engineer supporting the military and required a DoD security clearance, they can pay well.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Well, in that case it would be. But in general, I would say that gap between pay and expenses is probably better still for Americans.

I sure liked London when I was there earlier this year, even the guys begging on the streets were fairly well mannered from what I could see.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Manners is important to us Brits, but it is unfortunately dying. But I am very glad you liked London and picked up on it still. That is nice to hear. :)

From what I am finding online, rent for a decent place in SD is about 2500 a month, ouch. Recommended minimum income is 80K a year for an individual, and for a family of four, close to 100K a year. I'm finding all of the taxes and high rent discouraging, it's the 5th most expensive city in the USA to live in. Now I'm questioning my whole plan again :(

I'm getting an understanding of why they came back to me a second time, no one will take the job. Spend an hour researching living there on YouTube and you will get a headache. I really wanted to work with that technology, but hit a low on the idea tonight.

Yeah, I have always had relatives in San Diego and it has always been expensive to live there. Seems like it is expensive most places in California. That is why so many have come here raising the price to live in western Washington far higher than it used to be.