Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone know whre to buy laser diodes that are 1 nm-100nm?

dstoya

Hello everyone,
I was just wondering does anyone know where I could possibly buy a laser in the ultraviolet and near x-ray section of the light spectrum (1nm-100nm). I'm not looking for a very high power density just ~50-100mW. Ty

UV laser diodes are very expensive when you can find them at all. In wavelengths up to 100nm I don't believe they exist at all. You might find some as low as 325nm, but even those are very expensive.

Anthony P

As far as I know, the shortest WL of any laser is flourine excimer 153nm. I heard once of x-ray lasers using some sort of foam as medium and good for one shot only. Technology may have changed since then.

Just curious... what for?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I've seen LED's spec 240-245nm before now, but never a laser diode near that range, let alone in the range you strangely require.
Also I can't stress how dangerous a laser would be at those wavelengths.

Ha, 1 nm is an X-Ray wave length all the way up to 10 nm.

reloader45

Hello,

it is possible, but you need a free electron laser, not a Diode laser.
I think, this device is not portable.

best regards

Edgar

Danger Will Robinson! I will happily stay away from x-Ray.

Arctos

Lowest frequency lasers are EUV for lithography but you still won't get what you are after.. not even close most diodes are lucky to reach the 300nm range.

dstoya

I went and did some reading and reloader45, you are correct. The only laser that can possibly reach my range would be the free electron lasers however they cost millions of dollars to create so I can't possibly use something like that. However, for my purposes I could substitute the x-ray to low ultraviolet with a 300 nanometer laser, but in order for me to do this I would need another laser that would be the in the highest infrareds possible. Does anyone know where I could find the highest nanometer infrared diode that doesn't cost more that $100? Ty

Highest, you mean longest or shortest wavelength which is still considered IR? At what power level and do you require single or multimode? CW or pulsed? If you could give more information regarding the beam characteristics that would help; fully collimated output beam (desired minimum divergence?) or focused to a spot? If focused down to a spot, size and power density?

Anthony P

CO2 laser 10600nm. Probably more than $100, but not much more.

I think he wants a diode, but then again, with everything he is considering, that can't be it... maybe just his preference.

kecked

Dude what the f. Why not explain what you want to accomplish. You sound like you have no idea and are just guessing. We can help you but focus the idea some. If you really need x Ray it can be done using. Pinholes And radioactive materials. They are called camera boxes. The beam is high,y directional and relatively coherent. They are used for imaging stuff like pieces and welds. They are also highly regulated expensive and dangerous.

I’m inclined to make nasty remarks and chase you off but I’ll restrain. Come back with something other than I want to build an X-men laser pistol and well we might listen.

Encap

Dude what the f. Why not explain what you want to accomplish. You sound like you have no idea and are just guessing. We can help you but focus the idea some. If you really need x Ray it can be done using. Pinholes And radioactive materials. They are called camera boxes. The beam is high,y directional and relatively coherent. They are used for imaging stuff like pieces and welds. They are also highly regulated expensive and dangerous.

I’m inclined to make nasty remarks and chase you off but I’ll restrain. Come back with something other than I want to build an X-men laser pistol and well we might listen.

Exactly right, kecked.

dstoya:
What is it you want to do/accomplish in the real world other than troll the forum with "help me" questions that scream no knowledge, no experience, no ability/capability, no money, and too lazy to find answers to questions that any 10 year old could find in 5 minutes or less using google?