Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anyone else into homemade Ballistics\Pyrotechnics?

In the process of finishing a piston air rifle.... It's all glued up drying atm... should have some pics and videos up tomorrow if people are interested. :D Def. gonna be one heck of a BOOM!

ZRTMWA

I'm interested!! What size shot are you using and what velocity do you expect? I got a .177 scoped pellet rifle for my bday a few years ago.

Its 25mm barrel, but I'm thinking of bringing it down to around 15mm for more power. Pics will be up once I get back home :D

Here are the pics as promised :D

All parts planned out on the floor...
27022010001l.jpg

First Piston design.... FAIL!
27022010003z.jpg

New piston I lathed out..... MUCH BETTER :D
ssl15818.jpg

Piston valve closed, tank is filling....
ssl15819.jpg

Piston valve open... All air is released all at once!
ssl15820.jpg

All pieces glued and put together... (need to change the air blower because it restricts the air flow too much, and therefore does not fire :()
ssl15817.jpg

Size comparison against a 30cm ruler!
ssl15821.jpg

I also bought, and am waiting for an extremely cheap scope from ebay... got it for 3GBP or $5aus... which is a bargain!
IMG_0648an.jpg

Videos are to come :D

Hope you enjoyed that, as much as I enjoyed building it :D -Adrian

Here is a short video I made with my phone camera... sorry for poor quality. You can not see it on the video, but there is sorta like a shock wave, that exits the barrel that you can visible see, just before the water vapor exits the end of the barrel. It is a lot louder then it sounds in the video, but the microphone was overloaded and didn't pick up the sound properly. I will be adding a silencer to it... because it really is that loud.

Here is the video as promised :D

If any one needs plans... or general info... I'm happy to help :D -Adrian

ZRTMWA

What's the max PSI? Whatever the PVC is rated for? LOL @ silencer idea

Cool video. I have made a few cannons of various sizes using sprinkler valves, not piston valves. They are still impressive though. All of them can accept barrels of different sizes (e.g. from tennis ball/ snow ball size, down to dart size). I prefer making them with breach style barrels.

Allelectronics.com sells regulated psi valves that screw onto existing valve stems. I have a couple ranging from 50psi to 90psi. You cant overfill the tank with these in place.
I have pressure gauges installed, regardless, for safety.

@ bob: what is the yellow tank for? Is it needed for a piston type setup?

Don't forget to use hearing protection! Goggles too!

edit for pics..

pic0274.jpg

breach barrel setup
pic0242.jpg

another breach barrel
pic0263m.jpg

desk top version (french fry shooter from hell)
pic0250t.jpg

slightly bigger...

Last edited:
@cold... The yellow tank is from an old fire extinguisher, this is the air reservoir... as the piston move back, the air rushes from the reservoir to the barrel.... an example can be seen here...

@zrtmwa tanks working pressure is rated at 115psi and the pvc is rated to 120psi... the barrel is 15mm and this is what gives it it's power... it is being reduced from 25mm down to 15mm with high air flow :D

-Adrian

^^ Got it, thanks! I'm gonna try and make a piston setup when I get the time. I know they are more powerful.

I just finished my pocket patatoe cannon! It uses a pill bottle a lighter sparker and a pin tube, AXE is used for the fire. should I post a vid?