Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any wave bubble owners out there?

Niko said:
Can it be used to jam a cellphone's signal? Maybe it could be good for teachers who get seriously annoyed by 15 year old kids sending text messages to Batman during class.
LOL, QUE?

Niko said:
Can it be used to jam a cellphone's signal? Maybe it could be good for teachers who get seriously annoyed by 15 year old kids sending text messages to Batman during class.
you know DX sells jammers right?

JLSE

Ive wondered about those, saw them on DX a while back. Would  you say that the one they have is good for cell phones in Canada?  I havent read anything on these, but they are used by companies here.

A friend of mine was working as a programmer for a large pharmaceutical company, the second you venture near the parking lot, no cell calls are possible.

I think I want one ::)

As I have no personal experience with these (because they are illegal) I can't answer that question for sure. But if I had to guess I'd say that when buying a wave bubble you get to pick from three distinct cellular markets. The americas, europe, and asia. I would think that if you bought one of the units tuned for the americas it would probably work BETTER than they advertise it does. Just a hunch. ;)

The wavebubble and DX jammer are completely different animals. The DX jammer won't do anything other than cellphones. The wavebubble sweeps through a variety of frequencies and will swamp out much more.

Just this particular one does. If you know what you are doing you can open the jammers and tune them to any frequency within their capabilities, you would just need an antenna to match.

It isn't as simple as opening it up and turning the pot till it swamps the frequencies you want. Most of them are built to jam a certain band. The pot is only for fine tuning to a specific frequency...

I am by no means an expert, so I'll take your word for it. All I know is that for that price I would jump on it.

JLSE

What band would be for North America in general? I wouldnt mind try a DIY of this even. I think some googleing is in order ;)

Found DIY info here>  http://www.ladyada.net/make/wavebubble/download.html

Ouch, no wonder this makes people nervous...

"Wave Bubble
The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government."

North American cell phones operate on several bands, but mostly on 850mHz and 1900mHz. T-Mobile has something like a 1700mHz band for 3g data, I think AT&T occasionally uses 2200mHz for 3g data.. Bluetooth, wifi, baby monitors, cordless phones, and a number of other things operate on 2400mHz.

Most of Europe uses 900mHz and 1800mHz for cell phones, I think Japan and South Korea use 2200mHz.

Modding a prebuilt jammer to use a different frequency could be as easy as swapping a crystal and the antenna, though it could be a great deal more difficult.

but mostly on 850MHz and 1900MHz.

Just google quad-band (or tri-band) cellphones and there you go, the numbers you get are the frequencies (in MHz) in which the phone can work.

But yeah, you can't just turn the potentiometer 'cause you will need a different antenna for different bands (maybe the one you get in the bubble wave has a good bandwidth and you don't need to replace it, but it still doesn't mean you can jam devices that work at 20Hz and other devices @ 200GHz with the same antenna).