Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any Phase Change experts here?

Things

Hi, I found a split system condenser unit on the side of the road the other night. I have been wanting to experiment with phase change for a lonnngggg time, and finally found my opportunity :D

So I took it home, did a few tests with the ohmeter. Everything tested fine, so it was time to fire it up ...

Because the unit didn't have an evaporator on it, I only turned it on for less than 5 seconds, and everything seems to startup fine. I tried releasing one of the valves, and it spat out a little bit of oil and refrigerant. This is good, means there is no air in the system, so no corrosion, also means there are no leaks, and also might be cheaper to fill.

Now, I am trying to use this system to cool a container (bucket) of water or antifreeze. I know the basics of phase change systems, and know I need an evaporator coil and an expansion valve (cap tube in my case).

However, I thought for a while and pondered whether the evaporator has to be a specific length, to avoid liquid making it into the compressor? I've been told it's not a huge issue, but I'd like to confirm.

I'm going to attempt to build an evaporator tomorrow and see if I can get it filled. I contemplated buying all the equipment and attempting to fill it myself, but getting hold of refrigerants without a license is illegal.

Cheers,
Dan :)

I'm no expert, in fact, I know very little... Actually, all I know is if you hold a can of air duster upside down it turns into a freeze gun that you can use to shatter things and do cool stuff. That's basically the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I would think as long as the coil is longer than a certain length it'll be fine, so as long as you use overkill and make it longer than necessary no liquid will make it back into the compressor. I'd also guess that a small amount of liquid getting in the compressor won't be a big deal, it shouldn't break anything, it'd just make things less efficient.

Things

Thanks guys :)

This system is now up and running, I have posted some pics and details in the multimedia board :)