Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any other interesting hobbies to share?

Yeah I could if i was bold enough :)

Thanks. Yeah, I have it on my profile page. I think I may have posted it in my welcome message. I apologize for reposting :)
Hey no problems!, You had me searching all the amazing katana videos after re-viewing this vid. the guy cutting steel pipe and plate, then same guy cutting soccer ball, baseball then .22 BB pellet With targets at great speedZ,
WTF almost a joke that guy is!

Last edited:

spaceman: - United Backyard Cutters which is a mix of people who enjoy swords and practical cutting. Just like this forum, there are people with years of experience there who will help new comers to the hobby, especially with safety. They generally don't recommend newcomers to grab a sword and start chopping. Everybody starts with a wooden bokken, and even the advanced people continue the use the bokken for practice along with an unsharpened katana.

that is very cool I may have to look into it. I am really more in to the science of the blade and the making of them more than using them for a weapon. I am in to swords of every make and type you can think of. When I have enough funds set a side and my back yard free of trailers. (long story) I plan to build a small smith and try and start making swords. I have god knows how many hours of reading material on the art of making swords. I do not mean casting. (casting swords is one way of making them) But the big issue with cast swords is they are not very reliable. Hammering out a sword from a raw piece of metal is better and they tend not to have weak spots like cast do. I am also when I can come up with funds planning to build a 14 foot ballista giant cross bow used in 800 AD to 1500 AD its the history of weapons and the manufacture that fascinate me.

UsaBro-- a few words to you. If your flying RC aircraft at 2500 feet like you say you are then your in direct violation of FAA regulations. The rule is 400 feet an below for RC aircraft of any type. You are in the flight stream of major aircraft. The fines for doing this and getting caught are extreme. Heck VFR flights have to stay under 2000 feet. So A word to the wise STAY UNDER 400 feet.

Last edited:
damn I should try this... But For now ill stick to Learning programming basics. :whistle:

Last edited:
Haha Vortish! Will you be using that crossbow?
I'd like to see that :pop:

I enjoy swords of all types as well. I originally wanted a European sword as my first real sword but ended up with a cheap and functional katana by chance. Now here I am a few years later with a few katanas and still no European sword.

On the subject of smithing: I recently went to the Kennedy Space Center visitor complex and purchased a box with 3 iron meteorites in it. Their sizes are pretty impressive. I had this idea that maybe if I bought up a bunch of these sets that I could give them to a sword smith to make a "spacesword" for me :)

On the subject of smithing: I recently went to the Kennedy Space Center visitor complex and purchased a box with 3 iron meteorites in it. Their sizes are pretty impressive. I had this idea that maybe if I bought up a bunch of these sets that I could give them to a sword smith to make a "spacesword" for me :)

You sir are a genius. :D

Haha Vortish! Will you be using that crossbow?
I'd like to see that :pop:

I enjoy swords of all types as well. I originally wanted a European sword as my first real sword but ended up with a cheap and functional katana by chance. Now here I am a few years later with a few katanas and still no European sword.

Its not called a cross bow but for all intensive purposes it is called a ballista which was used as a siege engine here is youtube video on ballista's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlC51FbnNSw I really want to build one. As for your space sword. You will have to the iron from the rock so you need to go to a smelter then to a place that produces steel and have the iron converted into steel. You will need some really high tensile strength steel. High carbon steel is the best for swords. Then there are many qualified sword smiths in the United States that can fabricate what you want. If your going for a EU sword style. I would go with a English broadsword. Typically shorter than the Scottish Claymore which can be over 6 foot in length and weigh over 10 kg. English broadswords can be up to 4 and a half feet in length and weight upwards of 6 1/2 kg. there are a couple Japanese sword makers in the USA with two of them being trained in Japan Under masters in Japan. The types of swords that are known to be done in the EU really differ from country to country and from specific dates with in the evolution with in the making of swords. Typically from the 7 to early 13 century they tended to be much like the Scottish Claymore big and two handed and heavy. after the 13th century the styles started to show up more prominently. With German, Scottish, Irish, and parts of Sweden, Norway and Poland Keeping with the big two hand swords of the earlier time period. The rest went to thin er and one hand swords starting in the late 13th and in to early 14th century. Though Knights of the period usually had both. The one hand sword was the Calvary sword while the big two hand swords were for ground combat. I could type more on the subject but I will let it go for now

those are good but they are not good for any thing other than wall art. you need to find a smith local that can make one if your going to use it. those are case and they dont hold up very well

Old thread but better than starting a new hobbies thread...

I can only do one real hobby at any one time so lasers is on hold until I've learnt enough about my new hobby: electronics and using Arduino/at* chips...
oh but that's on hold too as we decided to keep tropical fish and that's a bigger hobby than I expected! Been doing it now for 7 weeks - tank still not fully cycled.

So my stack of hobbies that are waiting for more free time are:
Photography
Lasers
Electronics
Tropical fish

Trying to combine the hobbies is one way to do multiple of them eg photographing lasers etc.

New one, for me

ham-radio-class.jpg