Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Antivirus for Win7

I'm reviving this dead thread, which has been answered long ago, only to mention that I've been using Microsoft Security Essentials for a little while now, and I have to say I'm really quite impressed.

I had really low hopes for any antivirus product made by MS, but I'm honestly blown away by how well MSSE performs. It's really light weight, it has an idiotproof interface, and so far it's been leaps and bounds better at detecting "fake antivirus" programs than any other tool. No other antivirus product I've tried has detected the packed installers for these fake AV programs. Out of the last 4 fakeav installers I've sent to virustotal.com, MSSE was the *only* program that detected *any* of them.

Best of all, it's completely free, for anyone who has a genuine copy of Windows. Only problem I have with it so far is that it gets its antivirus definitions through windows update, so if you normally have windowsupdate turned off, it'll turn it back on and set it to auto.

To be honest, I am quite impressed with it as well. 10X better than what I thought it would be, but I gues it makes since that it would be...after all, it's made by the people who made windows...LOL

Hmm never seen a fake AV before.

If you do any web surfing...especially for game cheats or hacks...you will come across one. It tries to act as if it was windows telling you that you need the scanner to protect your system, because a "Fake" virus was just detected. Trust me, it's bad stuff and It's a huge pain in the butt to get it off of your system.

I always run my system with Java, cookies, and active X disabled when on the hunt for cheats ect. Probably why I've never seen them.

I'll tell you what is funny is when I am using my Linux system and it still tries to act like it's windows scanning my system.:) Rediculous

lol never thought of if you had a different os ..... that would be really bad if some how your linux turnd into windos think you would have more to worry about then a virus : )