Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another review of the Laserbee 1000mW Power Meter

I received my Laserbee power meter a couple of days ago and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. I got a nice deal on it (way less than retail) in exchange for some future website work for the guy who sells them.

Before I ever got the unit I spoke with Jerry (the owner of Laserbee) on the phone and via email several times, and to me he was a very nice and honest guy. I understand that atleast one member here had some problems with him.. So for the record, I'm not doubting anyone's experiences with him but just reporting my own.

Anyway, back to the power meter.... It arrived nicely packaged with just the PCB, LCD and thermopile.. So before I ever tested the unit I went to radio shack and purchased a $3 project box to mount it in and an on/off switch. I used a dremel with a cutting bit to cut out a rectangular hole for the LCD, mounted it in place, and then wired an illuminated on/off switch between the battery and meter. Works great. I mounted the thermopile on top of the box rather than putting it inside. I could've took a little more time cutting the hole for the LCD (its a little sloppy) but I was in a hurry to try out the meter.

The LCD is a little small but I can still read it fine from a couple of feet away.

I don't have another power meter to do a comparison with, but I do have a reading that came with my CNI >150 532nm that I got from pseudonomen137.

The reading from pseudonomen137 says:
180.4 mW peak and 169.8 mW average.

The reading from the Laserbee says:
182 mW peak and then settled down to 166 mW. (test was around 20 seconds or so).

So for what I'll be using it for, its perfect.

I also tested my DX200 Red with the rechargeable CR2s:
158 mW peak and then settled down to 149 mW.

I've noticed on his website that he now offers them with a Data Logging feature. It comes with the cable and the software.. I ordered mine before this was available so I'm gonna contact him again and see about getting that upgrade.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

Couple of pics:

LPM1.JPG

LPM2.JPG

Re: Another review of the Laserbee 1000mW Power Me

Thanks for the review :)

These things seem to be fairly accurate, and they are very cheap as well, so I may just get one.

Kenom

Man I just loooove how this guy continues to BASH me. Yet he's not willing to send his supposed "new" improved meter to me for testing.

I don't know if he is still bashing you any more...this is on his website --> "We would like to extend a "Thank You" to Daguin and Kenom for their fair/professional
3rd party testing of the original 1 Watt Laserbee (they know who they are)" right at the top of the page in pink....

Kenom

Yes this is only concerning this 1 watt unit. I'm referring to his 120mw optically based unit.

I have that one 120 mw unit 40 bucks i think it cost me ,anyways it does not recognize 405 and 532 well or at least mine doesn't it will measure 532 but you have to angle it just right 405 jumps around so bad i gave up unless my 100ma 803-t was too much for it i dunno but again 40 buck and its kinda close on 532 and 650 worth it i say yes just hook a cheapo dmm and your set

the optical ones suck, we've known that for a while now - at least the 1 watt model is less affected by wavelength as it's thermal based

Murudai said:
Thanks for the review :)

These things seem to be fairly accurate, and they are very cheap as well, so I may just get one.

N/P. Yeah they do seem to be fairly accurate. I noticed in Daguin's review that it was very close to readings done on another thermal meter. It may not be as accurate as some of the high dollar units but for the hobbyist like us, I think it does the job nicely.