Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another reefer new to boards

Hey all, New to the boards, another reefer looking into lasers for erradication of pest anemones, flat worms, bristle worms, and other pests, and because lasers are quite frankly freaking awesome. I work with lasers every day, I work for a Fiber Optic Engineering firm desigining fiber to the home networks for telephone companies, so on the occupational front, good info to learn.

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums. Be sure to read the sickies and never forget you safety goggles.
Looking forward to your input. :wave:
+1 for a proper intro.

I have been looking at something in the 1-1.5 watt range, 460 NM actinic waveleingth that can penetrate about 30 inches salt water, so I dont have to deal with refraction in the tank, the sides are glass but the bow is acrylic, and I am sure anything capable of cooking nuscence critters is more than capable of cooking acrylic

30" of salt water?
You may be better off with an electric probe of some sort.
I don't know what wavelength would work for that, but it will need to be more than 1-2w.
I think your stuck on this one.

30 inches is maximum depth. i suppose I could just drain off some water, or try it through the acrylic. I have a bit of trouble reaching into the nooks

Never tried through water but my 445 burn things through glass and acrylic very well. 3w though

Last edited:
Always could try shooting it through fiber too. I know that the fibers we use support 1330-1550 nm just not sure about 440-460 nm

SKeeZ

3W may do the job, i just tried through ~30 inches of salt with a 2 Watt and i was able to quickly burn wood.

Try one of Rick Trent's 3w 445nm, I just set fire to white paper through 10" of water in a plastic container. Didn't think it would do it.

Now the question arises, where would one look to procure a 2+ watt laser that would be up to the task and not spend a small fortune?

SKeeZ

You could get a member to build one for you (Like my self). I'd do it for free (You pay for parts and shipping). i would think a 2-3 watt may be in the $200 range.

i need to fully research the project first and see if it is possible in my schedule to DIY one, is there a site that sells high power lasers assembled turn key? or is the high power a restricted market? I am sure the 5watt lasers on ebay for $99.98 arent legit

Last edited:
You'll probably want to look into some of the more respected sellers on the forum unless you want to DIY. I don't really do custom builds anymore, but if you're interested, we could probably arrange something. If not me, look at Blord, scumbagatheist, or others.

If you want to DIY, it's a pretty easy task. Get a high powered diode from DTRs shop. This would probably best your best bet. https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/9mm-445nm
and look at the 445nm 9mm Diode In V4 Copper Module W/2.3A X-Drive Stock Lens Option.

Then you would just need a host, a heatsink, and batteries and you're all set. All in all, it'll probably run you around $150-175 premade or $125 if you DIY it for a 2+W laser. And disregard what others say. If the water is stationary enough, you should be able to pass 2W of nice, coherent blue light through 30+ inches of water just fine.

DTR has a link to Zero lasers that sell a host/w heatsink and contact board for $39 w free shipping and DTR sells a 9mm 445nm w xdrive set to 2.3A' all built and ready to go for $153 w G2 lens, w free shipping. you would just have to solder the contact leads to the modules leads put in 2 16340 batteries and be ready to go.

links to the items.

Skyray Host Kit W/ Heat Sink - $39.00 : Zero Lasers

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/9mm-445nm

And don't forget to get safety goggles as this laser will blind you instantly.

link for them
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles

I don't suppose my current eye wear is up to par, the lasers at work are 1330, 1410, and 1550 nm. Going to have to get some better specs

Which, by the way for some FYI data signals are sent at 1330 for high speed internet, 1410 is video, and 1550 is voice communications on most fiber to the home networks