Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another new toy,543nm He-Ne

Perhaps that "brightness" & milliWatts don't have a linear relationship should be added to the Looking to build a laser? thread. Its an easy place to point newcomers toward & I'd bet many think it works as such.

@benm
They're working on it. Give it a couple years, and laser projection tech will give us low frequency green diodes that are plenty bright. Plus OP said that this color is about 5-6 times as bright as 532nm, so 555nm (the peak sensitivity level of humans and brine shrimp) should be even brighter.

Things

Brightness and milliwats do not vary on a linear scale. FOr something to be twice the brightness, it generally needs to be 4 times the power. Just the way our eyes see stuff, since they are already saturated from the laser light.

Benm

@benm
Plus OP said that this color is about 5-6 times as bright as 532nm, so 555nm (the peak sensitivity level of humans and brine shrimp) should be even brighter.

But that's not actually true. The apparent brightness of 532 is about 90% of the optimum at 555 nm, so the difference is hardly noticable - except for the color, obviously.

Always get the generic placebo meds-- same formula as the brand names but much cheaper and they seem to work just the same too. IMO

--dave --who ya'll callin' an pathetic idiot? me I hope:crackup:--

not too many more posts to hit the magic 10,000!!-hak:drool:

Benm

Generic homeopathic pills are the best! Also, they work really well as coffee creamer if need be :D

I often wonder how often doctors prescribe placebos... or if they can???? Back in the day, doctors prescribed placebos and told the patients that was what they were giving them, because they thought that placebos were just as effective if the patients knew they were placebos. Hell, maybe because they thought that it was true! LOL

The idea behind homeopathic pills is that the more dilute the medicine, the stronger the effects, right? Does that mean you can die from an overdose by forgetting to take your pill?

^lol
I think they actually have a minute amount of the real medicine in a sugar solution, then purify/dilute the solution, so it's just sugar pills really. Mass market placebo. If you put any of the different homeopathic pills in a spectrometer they would look just the same. But that's the idea, right?

Benm

Does that mean you can die from an overdose by forgetting to take your pill?

That is the eternal joke behind it all :)

Since i'm taking no homeopathic 'medications', i am actually taking all of them at the maximum possible dose. Uppers, downers, laxatives, constipants... you'd reckon that such a cocktail would seriously mess someone up, though i feel fine after a glass of tap water.

It would have useful applications though:

"Yes, your honor, i felt somewhat tipsy after 3 beers. So i decided to down a bottle of scotch to inrcrease the dose as to reduce those effects before attempting to drive home"

Anyone that gets away with a DUI charge on that excuses gets a free box of scotch from me ;)