Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another laser incident in Aus :(

Lolvo

Eh, no bueno!

Is it a general consensus down under, that in order to repeal strict law, you must break them?

Would hate to be a lasing enthusiast in the AU.

Things

lol, nope, I'm all for the banning of pointers if it keeps dickheads like these from getting them, though clearly it isn't working :(

I'm in favor of punishing individuals for their actions, as opposed to groups of people. Imagine if every object that at least one person had done something malevolent with was banned. the world would be virtually devoid of objects. not saying everyone should be able to have thermonuclear warheads. kinda scary to disagree with a mod. If I disappear for a few days, we'll know why:D:banned:

these actions anger me as well. A while back I got a green laser and like clockwork, someone attacked a plane about six miles away, so I was afraid to use mine safely. I didn't suppose the FBI had any leads other than "look for green lasers, assume it was them" I didn't want to be mistaken for this douche. A ban in the U.S. is probably coming...

Laik

Line him up and bang bang problem solved. But seriously, i hate idiots like this that ruin it for everyone else. I am all for banning pointers as well, as long as they don't stop us from importing modules and stuff like that.

Last edited:

Gun

It's terrible that this has happened...but maybe there's a positive to it. Maybe the government realize that this hasn't happened for a while and that the laser laws are too strict :p.

I don't like the laws here in Australia, I do understand why they are in place however I think a limit of 1mW in handheld form is a bit strict.

Fiddy

another derp ruining the enthusiast name, perhaps they make a example out of him.

Laik

More idiots will keep doing this and the government is just getting more annoyed. What happens if one of us enthusiasts gets dobbed in by the neighbors for just shining it around at night and not causing any harm? I wish our laws where somewhat like America's. I think their laws can be not strict enough sometime, but lets not get into that.

norbyx

I don't get it, what's the reason you want to shine a laser at a plane? I mean it makes just no sense. You Know you shouldn't, you know you might cause trouble, and still there are people out there doing it.
It will always remain a mistery to me.

Laik

I think they get a thrill out of it and enjoy shit stirring. Idiots... that's all i have to say, they're just idiots...

tonyt

Hearing about thing's like this really annoy me! As Norbyx said, we all know how incredibly STUPID it is to shine even a 1mW laser at people/planes/cars/etc but idiots keep doing it!
You shouldn't ban lasers, you just catch and charge the idiots that misuse them.. To be honest i consider a steak knife or a base ball bat 1000 times more dangerous than a laser! But we don't ban them, we just charge d***heads that misuse them!!

norbyx

One thing that people aren't aware of is the potential risk of causing an accident and death to people. Lets say you shine a laser at a guy driving a car at 60mph, he gets distracted, scared,'what ever, and crashes the car, maybe killing all or their occupants, maybe a kid in the back seat. How would he feel about his act? A laser can be dangerous in the hands of careless people, but as any other item, even a rock is dangerous for that matter,'still we see them arround... :) so my point is that lasers are not toys, but they are not dangerous at all, it's just a matter of who is holding it.