Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another FNG

I am new to the site, but I have been poking around and reading for a couple of days. I have to say I LOVE the way you (as a group) approach the topic of lasers! Always professional, technically proficient, and very safety oriented!

During some random internet searches, I ran across a "labbie" laser forum where someone had asked a question about building a 1.4w handheld. The asker was immediately and ruthlessly flamed for being unsafe (even though he already had proper eyewear, and made no indication that he would do anything dangerous). The lab "professionals" also told him that it was physically impossible to build a 1w handheld because it would overheat and burn out in a matter of seconds. The asker was totally discouraged and gave up on the idea (and the hobby in general from the sounds of it).

To make a long story short... You guys are more professional, and MUCH more knowledgeable about lasers than the so called "professionals".

I am glad I found this site! I am looking forward to picking your brains and getting further into the laser world!

Welcome!

We try our best to not be like the rest =P.

Btw, wth does "FNG" stand for? [ ] New Guy? I've seen it used to abbreviate "functioning" on inventory forms but that's it, haha.

Btw, wth does "FNG" stand for? [ ] New Guy? I've seen it used to abbreviate "functioning" on inventory forms but that's it, haha.

Haha, well it stands for F***ing New Guy.
It originates from the term used to describe new members of a military unit. In WWII (maybe earlier, but that's the earliest I have heard a reference to it), all new members of a squad were referred to as FNGs. Being an ex Marine, I can say that the tradition is still going strong! FNGs have to earn their place in the squad before they can be labeled "trustworthy" or "competent". I'm pretty sure the same applies here!

Ahh, gotcha. In my trades we've always used the term "green" or "greenie", which is of course for "greenhorn".

Last edited:
welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If you plan on buying anything on the Forum....
PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

and this....

37 Reasons NOT to Buy From Wicked Lasers

If you do get a Laser or already have one be sure
to get appropriate Laser Safety Goggles/Glasses...

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry