Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Another Breakthrough at CERN

awlego

Ummmm...what?

As best as I can tell, I think you have somehow managed to combine the ideas of antiparticles/antimatter, vacuum fluctuations, quantum entanglement/spooky action at a distance, quantum tunneling, the Copenhagen interpretation/wavefunction collapse, superposition, energy conversion, mass/energy duality (E=mc^2), and a 2000-year old Buddhist text into a single incoherent post.

I'm actually kindof impressed.

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Well put!

Black holes don't attract light, light has no mass. Gravitational lensing is because of general relativity, the large mass bends space, so the photon may appear to travel a bend path, it's actually the path that goes straight through space.

Laha

space has the ability to creat, not a limited self...

Beware the photons, they are "undecided" items :p :D

Then also, do you mean antiphotons in particle state, or in wave state ? ..... in wave state, you can "sum" two identical photons with phase rotated by 180 degrees, and this gives you theorically zero (one elide the other, so theorically any photon of a given wavelenght can be the antiphoton of another photon with the same wavelenght, with phase rotated 180 degrees :p) ..... and as particle, how can be said that they have no charge, if they carry energy ? (put your finger in a high power laser beam, if you don't trust that they carry energy ..... J/K :D)

(LOL)

@Laha: do you mean the old "will is power" thing ? ..... it don't work ..... i've tried with all my will to create money, you don't imagine how much i tried ..... but still no money ..... :p :D

What is this?! I leave you guys for a couple days, just to read a little article and I come back to find a thread half filled with confusing theoretical physics, and the half filled with pseudoscience?

What the heck guys? Where did you leave room for the time machine??

Black holes don't attract light, light has no mass. Gravitational lensing is because of general relativity, the large mass bends space, so the photon may appear to travel a bend path, it's actually the path that goes straight through space.
Photons are affected by gravitiy, afaik... hence, photons cannot escape from a singularity...

Photons are affected by gravitiy, afaik... hence, photons cannot escape from a singularity...

That's actually only somewhat correct.
We perceive them as being affected by gravity. What actually happens is gravity bends space-time - the photon is always travelling in a straight line locally that is, we only perceive it to be a curved path

HIMNL9

Well, after all the researchers have "cheated" a bit, explaining the mass of photons ..... they said that photons have no "rest" mass, means, zero mass in rest condition ..... but, afaik, for a photon is theorically impossible to exist, in rest state ..... :p :D

("comma 22" ? ..... :p :D)

...gravity bends space-time - the photon is always travelling in a straight line locally that is, we only perceive it to be a curved path
Ok (I'll buy that) - apologies to Bluefan as he essentially was saying the same thing, but I didn't understand him the first time around.

...they said that photons have no "rest" mass, means, zero mass in rest condition...
Interesting!

It's all really exciting stuff; before I graduated with a Computer Science degree, I elected Astrophysics as my major. Unfortunately I decided to let the $ sway my career path... :eek: Don't get me wrong, IT is an exciting field in itself, but the Universe is the ultimate playground for the mind... :beer:

I'm still playing catch-up with all the new discoveries, trying to cope with the concepts of Dark Matter and Dark Energy (anti-gravity, anyone...?) but it is really awesome stuff! And it's also amazing how Einstein's work is still the basis of all current-day assumptions, despite the vast increase in resources available to scientists today... :bowdown:

Don't worry, if one were highly inclined toward theoretical physics, you would probably be a student with low grades, who felt like the pace was too slow. J/K

Someone smart please comment on the following statement: there is no such thing as an anti-photon. My reasoning is that anti-matter produces light that is indistinguishable from light produced by regular matter. Here is another way of saying this: if some very far away star made out of anti-matter, we'd never know as it'd look the same as any other star to us.