Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

An Even Brighter Key Chain Flashlight Mod!

jayrob

I have a Q5 mod in a my Key Chain CR2 host that is a 'must see' as well:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/q5-mod-key-chain-cr2-very-nice-44067.html

Key Chain 10280 mod...

This time, I disabled the little circuit at the button switch, and used a 3 ohm 1 watt resistor to regulate the current to 332mAs'! ;)
(With a 3.6 volt rechargeable, the emitter will draw 1 watt without the resistor)

This seems about 3 or 4 times brighter that my first Key Chain flashlight mod seen here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=34357

With this one, the 'constant on' feature is disabled. The side button is a momentary switch now, which is fine. The run time is going to be less than an hour between charges with this brighter version.
Note: For a 'push on - push off' switch with this higher current, see the pictures below the 'beam shot' under 'Retrofit'.

Using the 'Task Force' key chain light from Lowe's, and the emitter from the 'Pocket Mini Host'

* Key Chain light: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=225284-50584-FT-MINI&lpage=none
* Pocket Mini Host: DealExtreme: $13.75 Ultrafire WF-602D 3.6V Cree Flashlight (CR123A)
* Or you can buy an emitter by itself, such as this: DealExtreme: $5.36 Cree XR-E Q5 Emitter on Premium Star (228LM at 1A)
* 10280 batteries: AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 8* - CPFMarketPlace
* This charger works well for these batteries: Battery chargers for lithium ion coin cells

Here are the pictures...

MCBL6.jpg

MCBL1.jpg

MCBL2.jpg

MCBL3.jpg

MCBL4.jpg

MCBL5.jpg

It has no reflector except for the shape of the key chain head...

Update: Reflector and glass lens retrofit! (see below)

The throw is very wide, which is really nice for a light of this size... *:)

MCBL7.jpg

MCBL8.jpg

Not a bad use for the left over emitter from the Pocket Mini Kit! ;)
Jay

Retrofit! - Now a 'push on / push off' clicky installed under the side button! :D

Using a clicky switch similar to this one from DX: DealExtreme: $1.80 Clicky Switch for Flashlights (11.8mm 5-Pack)
(only mine has one leg at one side and the two alternating hot legs at the other side - see pictures)

Here's how...

MCBL9.jpg

MCBL10.jpg

MCBL11.jpg

MCBL12.jpg

MCBL13.jpg

MCBL14.jpg

MCBL15.jpg

It was a lot of work to get the clicky to fit inside. But now that it is all done, I am very happy to have it working at this higher current using a clicky (constant on) switch! *:)

Using the clicky switch, and 3 ohm 1 watt resistor, I measure 332mA's current draw with a fresh battery! :D

Reflector retrofit!

Man! I'm really happy with being able to fit the head of the tiny Key chain light with a machined down reflector from the Pocket Mini host, and an 11mm X 1mm thick piece of flat glass. (this is the modified lens from the Pocket Mini host, modified using a sand blaster)

MCBL16.jpg

MCBL17.jpg

MCBL18.jpg

MCBL19.jpg

This little guy has some throw now! :) Nice center spot too! Not bad for the size of it!...

Another cool mod for this great Key Chain host! *:)

This time it is using a huge, super bright 'Blue' LED with a very narrow beam (10 degree), and a 10280 battery...

MCBlue1.jpg

MCBlue2.jpg

MCBlue3.jpg

The wall in the beam shot is 30' away! This sucker is so bright that it just about has a beam at night! If the beam was any narrower, it would be a 473nm laser! :D
Jay

My first Key Chain Flashlight mod - 2 hour run time! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=34357

Check out my Key Chain Laser Build - Must See! :D
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=20124

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

Again, congratulations, you keep on making things even better. Keep it up, maybe some time we'll see 45micrometer flashlights by jayrob (TM) :p

jayrob

Thanks! :)

I just sold 2 Key chain hosts, drilled out at the head and tail cap, for the laser builds. But I warned him that it is a very tight build. The hardest part is fitting the FlexDrive.

This Flashlight mod is even more difficult than the laser mod, because the head screws on last. With the laser mod, the module presses in last, no twisting or turning involved...
Jay

Kenom

So that you know, that emitter can take all that battery can handle and then some. It's peak is 750ma so I'd be more interested in pushing that thing as hard as you can with the batteries. However, I understand lets not blow up the battery at the same time!!! I just purchased one of these today at lowes and a few other flashlights I've got plans for.

jayrob

Kenom said:
So that you know, that emitter can take all that battery can handle and then some.  It's peak is 750ma so I'd be more interested in pushing that thing as hard as you can with the batteries.  However, I understand lets not blow up the battery at the same time!!!  I just purchased one of these today at lowes and a few other flashlights I've got plans for.

Yes... I tested this emitter direct off of a 10280 battery and got a 1 amp current draw. Less with at 3 volt Lithium, but the 3.6 volt batteries will give it 1 amp and more!

But using the 200mAh 10280 battery, it's best to keep the current draw at 2C or less. I think 295mA's is perfect! ;)
Jay

jayrob

Niko said:
What about a focusing ring? would that be possible?

Hmmm... I suppose so. :-?

Sounds tricky... the host is so small. Space is very tight! I thought about trying to machine down a reflector and fit it in there, but decided that I might mess it up trying to fit it into such a small host...
Jay

Hmm... No space....so... what about an extension tube for another battery?

I KNOW, I KNOW, it'd mess with the whole idea of this project, but it could give much more power to the emitter, which Kenom pointed out could tolerate much more mA.

jayrob

Well, keep in mind that a 1 amp draw would require a larger battery like you mentioned. So just buy the Pocket Mini host linked at the top of the thread, and use a 3.6 volt rechargeable RCR123, and you will have your bright light in a small package! ;)

The same light using a 3.0 volt Lithium CR123, will draw less current. Quite a difference in the battery choice with a direct connect to the emitter.

I tested one at about 350mA's current draw using a CR123. But the same light will draw 1500mA's using an RCR123! :eek:

But I think for this tiny key chain build, 295mA's with the 10280 is perfect!
Jay

jayrob said:
So just buy the Pocket Mini host linked at the top of the thread, and use a 3.6 volt rechargeable RCR123, and you will have your bright light in a small package! ;)
Jay

Good point :)

jayrob

Sounds like you've been busy! ::)

You just got your Pocket Mini kit today and you finished your blu-ray and did a flashlight mod with the extra emitter!

What's next? Let me know when your ready for another kit for your matching Pocket Mini red! ;)
Jay

its been a great day got a pocket mini AND a very bright flashlight :)
another pocket mini might be on the way soon for me ;)