Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

am i allowed to bring laser pointer to the States?

I am from China and I recently bought a class III green laser pointer. It is fun to play with but, am i allowed to bring it to the States, is it possible to get confiscated?

Of course it's possible, but extremely unlikely. Especially if it's "pen" style.
Put it in your checked baggage and leave the batteries at home ;)

Of course it's possible, but extremely unlikely. Especially if it's "pen" style.
Put it in your checked baggage and leave the batteries at home ;)

Thanks. But it is a Class III pointer, almost 500mW

Simple answer....

NO... you are NOT ALLOWED to bring your 500mW
Laser Pointer into the USA..
It is illegal to import >5mW Laser pointers into
the USA...

You will take a risk of getting it confiscated...
I suggest that you leave your Laser at home...

Jerry

Last edited:
Basically you have to weigh the value of entertainment you will get from the laser and having it, vs the risk of getting it confiscated.

If you separate the laser - body in one bag, tailcap in another - and take no batteries, chance are you will be fine, but the risk of confiscation is there.

Actually, bringing it in is alot easier than going out with one, most countries do not have as lenient of a rule on high powered lasers as the US. However, this does not mean they are allowed on you on person. If you have a specific address that you will be traveling to you could consider mailing it, while the probability of confiscation of a >5mw is much higher than trying to enter with it on person, the risk of deportation or customs trouble is consequently higher.

Personally, I would not consider bringing anything that could hamper the emotonal integrity of any trip I'm flying to. especially knowing how much of an expense/hassle it is already.

Actually, bringing it in is alot easier than going out with one, most countries do not have as lenient of a rule on high powered lasers as the US. However, this does not mean they are allowed on you on person. If you have a specific address that you will be traveling to you could consider mailing it, while the probability of confiscation of a >5mw is much higher than trying to enter with it on person, the risk of deportation or customs trouble is consequently higher.

Personally, I would not consider bringing anything that could hamper the emotonal integrity of any trip I'm flying to. especially knowing how much of an expense/hassle it is already.

The OP is from China.. They would probably let him bring a leaking thermonuclear device back into the country.

Denson

If there not allowed in the U.S how do ppl get away with shipping them then???? thats what i was wondering

Ash

If there not allowed in the U.S how do ppl get away with shipping them then???? thats what i was wondering
Because they don't put "Big Scary Death-Ray Laser" on the Customs declaration. They typically put "electronics" or "flashlight" on the declaration so it slips past. :evil:

Also customs doesn't look at every package either and also they often falsify labels and safety markings on the units.

Because they don't put "Big Scary Death-Ray Laser" on the Customs declaration. They typically put "electronics" or "flashlight" on the declaration so it slips past. :evil:

Also customs doesn't look at every package either and also they often falsify labels and safety markings on the units.

Add in that typically the only risk is having the good confiscated, and you have people basically rolling the dice when they order lasers. Most get through, some don't, and that will continue to be the case until there is a harsher penalty for importing a laser other than confiscation.

Last edited: