Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Allowed signatures

Hey!

I have just noticed from my mobile broadband connection that some members insist on having .gif animations in their signatures. The .gif animations consist of sometimes quite complex animations, and are about 2-5MB size each.

.gif images are probably one of the worst formats to do animations in.

The easy way would just be to block these animations out by a web browser filter. It however feels a bit fail.

At the moment it's probably unmoderated how you design/do your signatures. I however believe that you by hosting these files on external file servers circumvent the forum instated file size limits -- for the sake of a signature.

A 3MB file takes ~7 min download time for a modem user. :)

Just a thought. If nothing else I'll probably add these animations to my ad block filter.

Edit: Man i've been mouthy lately.

Haha :)

To your original reply; Sure, I'm from Sweden. Where we have fibers and gigabits to home! ;) But occasionally I'm on a train with my mobile broadband which just switched over to GPRS 32kbit/s with an efficient latency of 6000ms [read: for the next 1.5hrs]

Either case I don't think it warrants raping of standards and format abuses. Such as several MB .gif animations á la 1992. :)

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Yeah, sometimes it's killer when I'm on my iPhone 3G, but normally the sigs aren't a problem. From what I've seen though I think there are only a couple really HUGE file sized .gif ones.

Maybe I should change mine. :(

Cool animation, however 2.8MB. ;)

If you are one of the cool people around using Opera :cool:, you can right click the web page & disable -> Edit Site Preferences -> Content -> Enable Animated images :eg: Too bad this also stops the nice smiley animations. :undecided:

Last edited:
...For example, a couple of star wars animations on a beloved veteran member's posts, that freezes my computer for a whole minute everytime I scroll to his sig. wink wink ;)

I have no need for a sig, and if I were to add one, it would probably be a clever quote in text format only. I've noticed how animated GIFs are sometimes very slow. Perhaps such large animated files (like advertizings) could be hosted on a faster web contents server.

Robert

I have no need for a sig, and if I were to add one, it would probably be a clever quote in text format only. I've noticed how animated GIFs are sometimes very slow. Perhaps such large animated files (like advertizings) could be hosted on a faster web contents server.

The problem you are experiencing is most likely not due to the hosting server bandwidth. But rather your own in combination of computer (mainly processor) speed and web browser used (ability to handle the animations well).

Most of the complex animations shown are hosted on imageshack and photobucket (then linking to the post with the img link), actively circumventing the intended forum file size limits for uploaded files.

Mikael

Things

Browsing LPF on my eeepc can sometimes be a bit slow when people have huge gifs in their signatures. Not to say you can't have them, but maybe there needs to be a max filesize limit for them.

I am missing a response from some person whom can say "This is my area, and this is how it should be" with a verdict. The lack of the authoritative response suggests that it may be a non-issue. Or it may suggest that noone wants to claim responsibility for moderating this "issue".

I got my workaround in the meantime.. :)

Last edited:
I have no issues with the member's Sigs or loading....

But then again I don't try to access the Forum through
my Dick Tracey Decoder Ring....:whistle:

Jerry

My signature's text/background changes with every refresh and has a counter & logger :D

Ash

Solution: Don't have peoples signatures display in threads.
-Under your user Control Panel: (Left side "user CP")
-Under Settings and Options: (Left side select "Edit Options")
-Scroll down to the heading: (Thread Display Options)
and un-select "show signatures"
-------------------------------------Example---------------------------
unshowsignatures.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Unselect the Check Box for "show signatures"

-Scroll to the bottom and click "save changes"

Now, all signatures (including those with large .gif files) will not show up. :beer: