Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ALERT: Bad Selling Experience with "Electron"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhd

If you don't want it to go against your account, contact electron and maybe it could be worked out as such.

Bootleg, I tried that. Seriously.

I tried everything, both at the PM stage, and at Paypal through their dispute comments. Even in the dispute phase, I very clearly offered:
- To REPLACE the laser, with IMMEDIATE and FAST and TRACKABLE shipping, THE VERY NEXT DAY.

I told him that if he didn't accept that offer, then it needed to go to a claim because there wasn't anything else I could offer. It was absolutely clear by his actions that he didn't want to work together or didn't want the laser anymore - he wanted his money back. Short of offering what I did - a complete replacement with tracking, sent the very next day - what else could I have offered?

How else could I have "worked it out" with him? I tried.

Listen, I get the fact that you've had good relations with this guy, but the way he approached this was not right.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I had an experience like this a couple years back when I was doing a Deal Extreme group buy for the Dilda reds. I sent all the parcels out using Canada Post's untracked ground service. After about a month one package had not arrived. (From Ottawa to Los Angeles) Shortly after that the buyer did a charge back. I just refunded his money instead of even trying to fight it as I had no way to prove anything based on the service I had used. This was only about $30 though so it was not nearly as severe a situation as it could have been. I had forgotten about the whole thing when nearly 6 MONTHS later the package actually arrived. The buyer was honest and PMed me about it and resent the $30. I have no idea were the package was for those 6 months, but I had long since written it off as lost.

Last edited:
I had an experience like this a couple years back when I was doing a Deal Extreme group buy for the Dilda reds. I sent all the parcels out using Canada Post's untracked ground service. After about a month one package had not arrived. (From Ottawa to Los Angeles) Shortly after that the buyer did a charge back. I just refunded his money instead of even trying to fight it as I had no way to prove anything based on the service I had used. This was only about $30 though so it was not nearly as severe a situation as it could have been. I had forgotten about the whole thing when nearly 6 MONTHS later the package actually arrived. The buyer was honest and PMed me about it and resent the $30. I have no idea were the package was for those 6 months, but I had long since written it off as lost.

Yep, It happens and even if you have tracking it can happen and a long time later the buyer either gets it or it ends up getting sent back you.
Of course, some of them end up in limbo forever until USPS sells them off.
They have a lost parcel center where everything ends up and someone opens up the package to see if there is any address information.

What often happens is the address label will come off, so be sure to cover the label or your ink with clear packing tape to protect it.
Another tip, if using a USPS box that has built in sticky tape to close the box up, be sure to use real packing tape to close it as well as that stuff the use on their boxes is not very good and can come undone, then the contents could fall out of the box on it's way.

Bootleg, I tried that. Seriously.

I tried everything, both at the PM stage, and at Paypal through their dispute comments. Even in the dispute phase, I very clearly offered:
- To REPLACE the laser, with IMMEDIATE and FAST and TRACKABLE shipping, THE VERY NEXT DAY.

I told him that if he didn't accept that offer, then it needed to go to a claim because there wasn't anything else I could offer. It was absolutely clear by his actions that he didn't want to work together or didn't want the laser anymore - he wanted his money back. Short of offering what I did - a complete replacement with tracking, sent the very next day - what else could I have offered?

How else could I have "worked it out" with him? I tried.

Listen, I get the fact that you've had good relations with this guy, but the way he approached this was not right.

You need to read your own posts...:whistle:
I think you are answering your own questions...:crackup:

Why would anyone accept that offer if the buyer already had the
item in his hands and also wants his money back...

With tracking the buyer would not be able to claim non-delivery...
and loose the Money Claim.

(I have no proof one way or the other... just the reported actions
of the buyer and seller):thinking:

What often happens is the address label will come off, so be sure to cover the label or your ink with clear packing tape to protect it.

One thing to add.......
If your Label has a Barcode of any kind DO NOT put clear
packing tape over it. A bar code scanner can not see through
the reflective tape....

EDIT...
Read about the tests that I performed in Post #125 that
proves I was Wrong about the Tape Over Barcodes...

Jerry

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
One thing to add.......
the reflective tape....

Jerry

Oh crap. :eek: I've done that a lot. Maybe this could have slowed some of my packages down? :eek:

I found out the hard way until someone wised me up...

On another note...seeing you're a MOD...

This morning at the bottom of all pages the identical long
Banner ads and identical Square Banner ads numbered
6 each....
Now they number 9 each... What's up with that and why
are there 18 banners for the exact same ad...:thinking:

Is this just a test or will this stay....:thinking:

Jerry

I don't think the mods have any control over the ad's. That's purely cold's domain I believe.

Sorry to disagree on the tape over a barcode...
I do it regularly.
Modern scanners have no trouble IF you don't scan at 90 degrees (direct reflection of the laser back off the tape overpowers the detector) or at 45 degrees full reflection and poor penetration of most light off the tape. Just about every other angle works fine.
I've had a reader before and had no troubles otherwise.
You just need to make sure that the tape doesn't have ANY wrinkles or ugly fingerprints or distortions.
Every week I send out letter pouches to the head offices. The barcode is inside a self adhesive plastic envelope with a shiny surface and a similar reflective index. The guy picking it up confirms that you just need to scan at a slight angle off 90 degrees.
So maybe your informant has slightly outdated info. I have never had an issue with it.

But I still could be wrong.
Maybe I use up all my good luck on shipping....
:p

Last edited:
Btw, stopped by post office to mail out a package today.

Information directly from USPS;

1. All insured items are tracked, however that tracking information is internal to USPS.

2. Packages insured for less than $200 do not require a signature, they can, and are left at the door.

3. Packages insured for over $200 do require a signature.

You need to read your own posts...:whistle:
I think you are answering your own questions...:crackup:

Why would anyone accept that offer if the buyer already had the
item in his hands and also wants his money back...

With tracking the buyer would not be able to claim non-delivery...
and loose the Money Claim.

(I have no proof one way or the other... just the reported actions
of the buyer and seller):thinking:

Jerry
Still trying to stir the pot here Ehh Jerry:gun:

I rejected this because of the following:

"If the buyer will close this Paypal dispute, I will then ship a replacement item."

That is clearly advised not to do, regardless of anything you have to say about it Jerry. I'm very sure after reading a lot of your stuff over the years, you'll come back with something sarcastic.:tinfoil:

Btw, stopped by post office to mail out a package today.

Information directly from USPS;

1. All insured items are tracked, however that tracking information is internal to USPS.

2. Packages insured for less than $200 do not require a signature, they can, and are left at the door.

3. Packages insured for over $200 do require a signature.
I absolutely agree with you, years ago I shipped an item back that had only insurance on it and I didn't add tracking to the item. I called the receiver twice and was told they can't find my return. On a whim I went to the post office and asked them if there was any way they could help me find out what happened to the package.

The clerk immediately asked me did I add tracking to the package, I sheepishly replied no I didn't. He said OK you need to start doing that. He then asked if I could wait around for about 20 mins, I'll have the guys in the back look on our internal system to see what they can find. Sure enough he came back with a *very* detailed printed report that I mailed tracked this time, to that company; they promptly credited me back for the returned item & that was that. From that day forward I only ship tracked, it only adds .50 to a package and just recently went to .80 I think I can handle that!

rhd

I rejected this because of the following:

"If the buyer will close this Paypal dispute, I will then ship a replacement item."

That is clearly advised not to do, regardless of anything you have to say about it Jerry. I'm very sure after reading a lot of your stuff over the years, you'll come back with something sarcastic.:tinfoil:

Liar, blatant liar.

I may have worded it that way in an early PM or Paypal comment, but my position was VERY clearly that I would ship you a replacement BEFORE requiring you to close the dispute. Here was the comment I made IMMEDIATELY BEFORE Electron escalated the Paypal "dispute" to "a claim".

My final Paypal dispute comment (right before Electron escalated) said:
"I will ship a replacement tomorrow or monday, with tracking. - I will add that tracking number to Paypal for verification. - If you still persist in not closing this dispute, I will escalate this dispute to a claim, and allow Paypal to review the information submitted, and arrived at a just conclusion."

In other words, I told him that I was JUST ABOUT TO SHIP A TRACKED REPLACEMENT TO HIM the next morning, and THAT is what prompted him to escalate. He knew I was planning to get a tracked replacement out the next morning, and then immediately escalated to a claim before I had a chance to get it out the door. He recognized that once I had a trackable replacement en route, he wouldn't be able to grab money back from me via Paypal.

This is all on the Paypal record. The picture is really starting to become clearer. As soon as he realized that I would have a trackable package out to him the next morning, he escalated the claim before I could.

This guy just wanted money, and saw that his window for grabbing mine would close. Instead of a laser (likely a second laser), he wanted the funds.

Last edited:
Liar, blatant liar.

Here was the comment I made IMMEDIATELY BEFORE this buyer escalated to a claim. This was my final dispute comment, before Electron immediately escalated it to "a claim".

"I will ship a replacement tomorrow or monday, with tracking. - I will add that tracking number to Paypal for verification. - If you still persist in not closing this dispute, I will escalate this dispute to a claim, and allow Paypal to review the information submitted, and arrived at a just conclusion."

In other words, I told him that I was JUST ABOUT TO SHIP A TRACKED REPLACEMENT TO HIM the next morning, and THAT is what prompted him to escalate. He knew I was planning to get a tracked replacement out the next morning, and then immediately escalated to a claim before I had a chance to get it out the door. He recognized that once I had a trackable replacement en route, he wouldn't be able to grab money back from me via Paypal.

This is all on the Paypal record. The picture is really starting to become clearer. As soon as he realized that I would have a trackable package out to him the next morning, he escalated the claim before I could.

This guy just wanted money, and saw that his window for grabbing mine would close. Instead of a laser (likely a second laser), he wanted the funds.
Bull crap buddy! You DID post that EXACT message in PP, I just copied it straight out of PP. Yes though you did also then send that message AFTER the one I just block copied out of PP resolution center.

Nothing more than STILL trying to strong-arm me into closing a dispute based on nothing more than a tracking number. At that point I wasn't going to trust you.
You could have just sent me anything with a tracking number and then you'd have your "proof" that I got the "replacement", not saying you would BUT at this point my blood was and is boiling over this, up until this time I was willing to keep it open as a dispute and hoping the package arrived, and I then could close the dispute. You were clear you wanted it closed, and until the laser arrived I was not going to do that at this point.

Had you offered me that "deal" in your PM to do that, during the time-frame that PP allows and not insisting me to wait, I wouldn't have even open up a case with PP.

@ RHD I like how you backtracked and edited your post when you realized I was correct; I just seen you edited it........you seem to have done that a lot in this thread.

SRESAL

One thing to add.......
the reflective tape....

Jerry

This is just nonsense...

Why do you suppose FedEx makes those stick-on plastic sleeves then :thinking:

You know Jerry could be correct, the scanners used by CP or some other countries may have had an issue with scanning them. I completely agree though tons of packages around here come with plastic or tape over the barcode, so it could be scanner related in some areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.