Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ads on the forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jack i 100% percent understand regarding flash ads, adobe is littered with vulnerabilities and i often use flashblock in firefox.

the main thing that would hurt is if users blocked payperclick ads. i can understand 100% if ppl want to block adobe flash stuff lol. security comes first for me (i work in that field lol).

and jack sry i had to edit the last line of ur post b/c it could violate the payperclick ad provider terms

hav fun guys
peace
-ave
I understand your removing that, but just to be clear in case any provider reads this post, I only click on them to see where they lead and what the companies offer and that's what they are made for, right?
The fact that you get paid when they are clicked on is just a bonus for you. I don't like click fraud either and only follow the links occasionally.

Some mentioned this past week about allowing members to be able to post flash content. I sure hope this doesn't happen as it'll open a can of worms and the ability for unfriendly users to put spyware, adware or worse on everyones computer that is flash enabled.

Ha I dare you to say that to my face or whatever this thing has :D
300px-Heretic_grunts.jpg

I'm noticing no lag and I have about 20 tabs open ATM, about 10 of them LPF.

Also it might just be because of this... "8" CPU cores, 12.6Ghz processing power.
Capture2.jpg

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
yeah i dont think allowing flash content would ever happen (other than embedding youtube videos which we already has)

i barely wanted to allow attaching PDF attachments due to horrific adobe security woes

The Year's Most-Hacked Software - Forbes.com

have fun all
peace
-ave

HIMNL9

I always use FF with adblockplus and noscript enabled (otherwise with my line, i don't surf, just crawl :p :D) ..... and this is actually the cpu and memory usage on my PC (7 days and half 24/7, emule in bg and FF with 38 tabs opened)

attachment.php

It does not look too bad, but i've noticed a thing ..... after 30 or 40 days, the things starts to go a bit worse, and FF start to slowly eat memory and resources ..... for keep it working smooth and decently, i have to restart the PC at least each pair of months ..... and this, also without load ads and scripts (in fact, i block ads from everywhere, and about scripts, this forum is one of the few places where i allow them, except google spies :p, that are blocked from everywhere) .....

Maybe it's also a small problem inside FF ? ..... managing memory and resource usage, i mean ? .....

BTW, laserglow banner tried also to load shockwave-flash , from their server, the first time they used it, not just banner.swf ..... maybe this can cause the activity peak, too ?

Attachments

• taskmanagergrab.jpg
    taskmanagergrab.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 186
Dude, every few months it gets turned off? Mine gets shut off every night, it's unnecessary energy consumption.

HIMNL9

^ Mine is running a syncserver for a private workgroup, AND emule, 24/7 ..... cannot turn it off (both of the programs don't work too good, if i turn off the PC ..... :p :D)

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
fyi laserglow did investigate and modify the ad to make it slightly less resource consume although analysis did appear to show the ad was causing almost no lag or resources.

have a great weekend all
peace
-ave

cd520

I did notice myself a couple of days ago IE was using 80-90% cpu usage with LPF up. I browse this forum with IE and use Seamonkey for most other things. I closed the browser and brought it back up and all was fine. It hasn't done it since.

Toke

fyi laserglow did investigate and modify the ad to make it slightly less resource consume although analysis did appear to show the ad was causing almost no lag or resources.

have a great weekend all
peace
-ave

I have just tested, it is still using almost the whole machine.
Kind of odd for what looks to be a 120kb flash movie, guess that my flash player or graphics driver is out of order. :(

cd520

Just noted myself when viewing the ads at the top of the forum I see about 52% cpu consumption.

Win7 Ult. 64bit
Intel x2 core 3ghz
4gb ram

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
not able to reproduce on 3 browsers on equally as powerful machine

can u view each directly one at a time and measure the usage for use?
what browser are u using to test?

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
the only one that changed recently was laserglow so i wuold focus on testing that one.. the others have been the same for quite some time

Status
Not open for further replies.