Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ADD 505nm & 515nm greens to your collection for less than $60-$hip free add ac/dc get PLUGPLAY

GSS

Since this is described as a cyan or mint blue it is likely higher than 488nm. All my 488nm or lower wavelength diodes look very blue, not cyan at all.
Yup, it was the cyan description that makes me think it's closer to a 495 diode, although Hak seams to think it's a true 488 color:unsure:

Sounds like Len is happy with his purchase. That's all that really matters. To find out the true wavelength of a laser there really is only a couple ways to find out. Use a spectrometer or set up a diffraction grating and carefully take measurements, then do the math. If you are using a grating to do this, it is best to have the distance from the grating to your wall as far as possible.

GSS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/532nm-mw-80mw-Green-Laser-Module-for-Stage-Light-Lab-Light-source-12V-TTL-FAN/331771646136?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo%DREC.SEED...
What extra am I basicly going to need to power this up? Same connector's for the driver? and will a male plug 12V source adapt.
Edit: what i'm seeing for the complete kit with 12V AC power source to the male/female connect and then to the driver i'm needing to pay around $30:(

Just thinking and also don't have the patients for 5 weeks from China shipping:unsure:

This 532 little labby arrived yesterday ^^^. :) It was ordered on 1/9 and shipped on 1/11. The 12 days shipping time from China was surprising..
Even all the tracking info worked with updates and showed delivered.;) Never seen the delivered update when ordering free shipping from China, just a mention of shipped and then it just show's up at some point..
I did a quick power up to see if the unit worked and it lights up fine and the unit was actually cold as it was in the mail box all night.
I didn't like that the back of the driver plastic casing had no markings what so ever, and there was alot of red glue on the driver's face it was hard to see the markings that way so I had to go back and look at the sales thread. Also you can barely hear the fan:) but this this is just a quick post before I play with it some more and let it warm up to room temp.

I would think just by feel and maby a temp gun I will know that its a 100% duty cycle??

Edit: I cannot light a black markered match and by my eye estimates and compared to a metered pen it's not doing 50mw? or definitely not doing 80mw. Also no mention of a IR filter..
It's all good though even if it's not much over 50mw to me as its my first 100% cycle labby. The spot is typical 532.

Just a quick test with a IR thermometer running after it at 20 minutes the module body hottest spot never got over 90 deg F and the output side of the driver wire connect hit's from 115 to 117 F..

Last edited:
You may want to add a heat sink to the output transistor on that driver, Peter. I would. If the wire harness is heating up it might not be sturdy enough and I would look in to replacing it as well. After doing this, you might find you can increase the current for the pump diode.

Sorry for being so lazy lately.
Its another cold day and I have two argons overdue for a bit of 'exercise' so tonite I will set up a few cameras-two of the 488 sleds (diode) and two argons gassers for side by side pics.
I really like the color of these labbies and while they 'look' like 488-I need to test more.
I just got a 200mW 650 red w/ no driver and will try it out in the empty spot on the 488 driver board. Although I only paid for red diode Lily at Aptlightingworld sent me a free driver which also has a unsed spot for a diode. She also sent me for testing a nice module for 9mm(she was hoping for copper but they look like brass and now that I have one in hand Lily will need to change her listings from (material copper) to (material copper alloy)
She included two dichros to test for losses when making 'yellow', 'magenta', and 'teal'.
May as well see how they look next to an Argon Multi line while I am at it.
In return for all this nice stuff I am doing an edit or three of APT's listings.
I have been given free samples from other China sellers for helping with listing errors and sending great pics for them to use any way they wish... win win.

Starting another thread on improving the translation of description on worm-gear DC motors( I use a 0.6 RPM for Lumia. a motor controller will allow me to slow even more.

It is somewhat (understatement) confusing so I want other members help with this edit.

As is I am not understanding all.

back here w/ a link.

GSS

I'm having a hard time trying to load pic's the way I do it all of the sudden,
but I believe this module I have is a 505 and not a 532 which explains the kinda thicker on one axis beam i'm use to seeing form a 532. :unsure:
Yes the spot seemed typical 532 at first but comparing it again it's not as tight..
Also explains why it worked well right out of the cold mail box:whistle:

On the left is the new module and the right side is a 532 pen..
I might try and take of the front round nozzle if I see I won't damage it but i'm pretty certain it's a 505. Can't complain I guess for $18.
What do you all think??

Paul will that explain maby the higher temp coming from the output of the driver?
Now I was measuring right at the plastic connect and there's no pot screw anywhere. Peaking through the slots of plastic case on the bottom of the driver I see nothing but a flat board and just solder tab connects and no driver circuits, especially near the connects to add any extra heatsinking.
I don't see a way yet to easily take of the front piece of the module/sink?? I kinda scratched it up but its just basicly a plug with a hole and not like the listing pic show's with a lens.
No typical long module with attachments for the crystals and beam correction lens. Just a lens with a 2 slots but glued in as far as I can see.
I took the back fan off to try and look at any diode markings but the whole back of the diode is incased with white epoxy.

Attachments

• IMG_7261.JPG
    IMG_7261.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
There is an easy way to determine if this is a 505nm direct diode or a 532nm solid state laser. Check the Vf going from the driver board to the laser. If it is 2 volts or less, it is a 808nm pump diode. The 505nm one has a Vf of around 5 volts.

GSS

Well there you go,, its about 7.6V..
Thanks Paul that was easy:) It's funny I went to bed last night and was dwelling on the beam profile and color. It's actually pretty tight profile wise which got me a bit confused..

I did kinda want a 532 labby doing around 80mw for the beam spec's but this isn't a deal killer as I do like this green a bit better:)

Last edited:
That is a single mode diode. They do have a good beam profile. The 532nm labby you are talking about is very inexpensive. I think I saw some that were under $30. I got one years ago that does better than 230 mW and has an unlimited run time. It was around $50, IIRC.

GSS

Yup Paul, this was suppose to be a 532 module at 50mw to 80mw and was only $18.
It's confusing as this seller "existoem" has 505 labby's with no fan for $29, and this one I have has a fan.
Who every makes these labby's has to be just putting these together with what ever parts they have laying around and we get them as bargain leftovers as there is just no consistency in any of the pic's of the builds and offerings. Am I correct??
Could be a employee taking pieces here and there, leftover pieces, parts that might not of made it through QC <<LOL and putting them in his pocket and assembling them at home:unsure:
Mostly uploading the pic's as trying another way to do it as my other way failed for some reason.
The front plug is off to show the diode and lens in a aluminum module sink instead of a brass one they seem to usually come with.
The plug was just basicly a thin folded piece of aluminum that was just pressed in..
and the driver which has no adjustment pot..

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_124919.jpg
    IMG_20190126_124919.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20190125_082129 (2).jpg
    IMG_20190125_082129 (2).jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
From what I can make out from your photo, the driver is for driving two laser diodes, but it is strange that you can't adjust the diode current. I have seen these with no fan, so you getting one is a plus in my book. That is a good price for one of these. I have only seen the low power 532nm lasers for $18.

GSS

Yup the fan is a cute little thing and quiet..:giggle:
I wish it did have a pot screw as I wouldn't mind trying for a tiny bit more output, needs to be in a pretty dim room for a visible decent beam. The lens is actually pretty small like you would see in a 532 but can't see any clipping issue. True for $18 shipped it isn't bad..

Last edited:
I have several of these little labbies now. Many of them run off a+12 volt wall wart. I got the JST connectors to make up connectors for each one so I wouldn't have to look for the polarity every time I wanted to fire one up.