Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ADD 505nm & 515nm greens to your collection for less than $60-$hip free add ac/dc get PLUGPLAY

LaserRanger

My plan is to use the 12V power source from my cheap $10 Harbor Freight Dremel that has a 5.5mm male / female connect and splice the wires from the female plug to the JST's.. I think it should work??

That's exactly what I did to mine. Used a switching power supply that are left over from some security cameras I install every now and then. 12v 3.5amp I believe was the power supply

GSS

Come to think of it I just might have a security camera somewhere with exactly that female 5.5 plug..
Thanks for bringing that up:)

Bingo, found it;)

LaserRanger

Come to think of it I just might have a security camera somewhere with exactly that female 5.5 plug..
Thanks for bringing that up:)

Bingo, found it;)

Awesome 😎👍 post pics of it working I wanna see it in action

What I did was to wire up the JST connectors to a mini plug that would take my +12 volt wall wart that I use for these lasers. Some have been backwards to others, so keep that in mind if you are trying to do the same. Once that was done, it was simple to just plug the wall wart onto any of my DPSS and RGB lasers.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Now i'm confused, are they definitively those ones for those drivers chloderic?
Anyway, the usage of the TTL wires like LaserRanger suggested will solve the need for the confusion. Well at least in GSS's case anyway.

Now i'm confused, are they definitively those ones for those drivers chloderic?
Anyway, the usage of the TTL wires like LaserRanger suggested will solve the need for the confusion. Well at least in GSS's case anyway.
Just measure the distance of the pins .... it would exact 2.54 mm. The 1.5 will be for batteripacks or led stribes...

On seeing this I had to double check my initial recommendation. All mine are, in fact, 2.5mm instead of 1.25mm. I have both sizes and mistakenly pulled out the wrong one. I hope that anyone who is contemplating buying some JST connectors would measure them first, before ordering. Sorry.

If i'm to buy the 532nm unit will the only source to power both the fan and the laser need to be the 12V female JST.
The other female 5V TTL's JST's are for if this driver was running a RGB unit , am I correct?
.... Unsure what you exactly mean-- but you have more replies and help (what would we do without our friends at the forum THANX!!!!)

On seeing this I had to double check my initial recommendation. All mine are, in fact, 2.5mm instead of 1.25mm. I have both sizes and mistakenly pulled out the wrong one. I hope that anyone who is contemplating buying some JST connectors would measure them first, before ordering. Sorry.
DANG!
I may have paid ebay china seller for the wrong ones?? no big deal only $1.99
I have read about some from China that are so poorly made they don't work well with ANY better ones of any size. So those MUST be gotten as sets/pairs.
TBH I did not totally know what the 1.25 0r 2.5 was about.. so my bad.
I cannot remember Paul ever making such an error.. wish I could say that about myself==hahaha

new post different question.
1st this from 'cho'
'Just measure the distance of the pins '' sorry--translation 'error?' ..distance???.
unclear--
and VERY important..
in another post we read about some difference in these that we ALL must check before 'plugging' something up for the first time ..

SOME of these connectors have the red and black switched.. NEVER assume you have it right.. WAY too easy to make a polarity mistake . as I said when plugging something NEW up. AFAIK all driver 'females' are correct.\

AS I wrote only can be an issue when its a connection you are making for the first time.

.so say ----you want to try adding a red diode (mine is coming in heat sink w/ prewired with male plug) to a driver already powering another laser-(a uber swell 80mW 488 )- empty spots for these additional lasers on LOTS of these drivers (as well as a fan spot) so before I just go plugging it in I will be sure I am not making a mistake..

A VERY few times I had to take a black sharpie and cover the red wire with black and shrink a short piece of red shrink over the both 'ends' of the black wire.. ( to make into positive) I also make red and black ' sharpie)dots on the both sides of the female plugs on the drivers--just a reminder..
200mW of 650 ($17) added to the 80mW 488 blue ($33) W/ a free Kasio 'dichro' should make a great R+B Magenta. I will post pics--promise..

hak

LaserRanger

DANG!
I may have paid ebay china seller for the wrong ones?? no big deal only $1.99
I have read about some from China that are so poorly made they don't work well with ANY better ones of any size. So those MUST be gotten as sets/pairs.
TBH I did not totally know what the 1.25 0r 2.5 was about.. so my bad.
I cannot remember Paul ever making such an error.. wish I could say that about myself==hahaha

You also have to watch out for reversed polarized connectiors.. I fried a mini quadcopter that I had modified because the connectosr I ordered had a few with the wires switched... I didn't realize until the magic smoke appeared

OH man that sucks.... BTDT
everything should have rev polarity protection... right?