Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A little on my Novalux 488nm DPSS. *PICS.*

Trevor

Trevor - did you get ahold of the software to do this? Or are you using the ci / constant current mode at 0.46? Judging by your lock light I'm guessing CI with i 0.46?

I'll give this a shot tonight too.

Either way not bad. Not 15mW, no. But not bad for what it is.

I used the 0.8 version of the Vuemetrix to do this. It mostly works, but not all commands are supported and it complains rather loudly (by loudly I of course mean visually :p). I'm going to open up a copy in a disassembler and "fix" it to shut up. I'll upload that once I've done it.

I've gotten this to output as high as 30mW briefly under very strict conditions, and 23mW for a longer duration, but it still dropped quickly (both at ~480mA)... I think these are just really, really thermally touchy.

Got a heatsink to put it on?

-Trevor

D

Deleted member 16589

I would like to state that mine is now officially working correctly
more info will come soon

Good to hear, and glad to know we've got two more in the 488 DPSS club. :)

Not yet Trevor! As soon as I clear this SACD Author system off my workbench I'll go at it. Most I had was ~15mW for a little while, at 580mA, but it was certainly a short while.

I need to try the software... Do you have a patched/annoyingless version yet?

daguin

I finally got a working unit. I had to RMA my first (and that took awhile), but this last one lights and stays lit. I haven't set it up to be measured yet and it looks like something needs alignment, but it gives laser light :)

Peace,
dave

Cool, Dave -- Really can't wait to see what happens with yours... Looks like we have our own mini 488 'thing' going on here in spite of 445 :p

Trevor

Not yet Trevor! As soon as I clear this SACD Author system off my workbench I'll go at it. Most I had was ~15mW for a little while, at 580mA, but it was certainly a short while.

I need to try the software... Do you have a patched/annoyingless version yet?

How'd you get the 15mW reading - which command did you use?

I finally got a working unit. I had to RMA my first (and that took awhile), but this last one lights and stays lit. I haven't set it up to be measured yet and it looks like something needs alignment, but it gives laser light :)

Peace,
dave

Very nice, do you have a computer-controlled power supply to join us in our stability shenanigans? :D

-Trevor

daguin

How'd you get the 15mW reading - which command did you use?

Very nice, do you have a computer-controlled power supply to join us in our stability shenanigans? :D

-Trevor

I just have the little black box

Peace,
dave

D

Deleted member 16589

Peace,
dave
so wait you bought one too

ps sry I could not make a deal on that argon but at least I have a 488

Trevor

Update! There's an easy way to get the 0.8A version of WinVue to connect to the smart PSU.

1) Use my COM test tool to connect, send cs0>, i 0>, l1>, then disconnect.
2) Open WinVue and connect to the controller. You'll get a ton of diagnostic info and control options. You can even do LIV (PIV) graphs.

aryntha: When you do this, would you check to see if you can get a response from your primary (diode) TEC? Mine doesn't seem to work; I'm thinking there may just be a thermal sensor for monitoring diode temperature? Or mine is broken?

EDIT: Also a possibility - the dumb PSU's may be using different TEC drivers from the computer-controlled ones.

-Trevor

Last edited:
Trevor,

Very cool - I'll give this a try tonight -- And no I haven't been able to get the TEC in my head to operate; so I don't think yours is broken, but I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a working TEC in the head.. so it may just be an addressing issue as you said..

Trevor

Trevor,

Very cool - I'll give this a try tonight -- And no I haven't been able to get the TEC in my head to operate; so I don't think yours is broken, but I was under the impression that there was supposed to be a working TEC in the head.. so it may just be an addressing issue as you said..

According to the FAQ, there's two - but I can only get the one on the crystals to operate. I guess there could be a number of possibilities in play:

• Different TEC controllers in the black PSU than in the smart PSU.
  • In my case, a chunkier TEC in the 15mW rated model that a 5mW PSU can't drive.
  • Dead diode TEC in the head.
  • No TEC on the diode, only a temperature probe.
  • My long KVM cable is dropping too much voltage (this is the only cable I have that has 15 straight-through non-grounded pins).

-Trevor

Hey guys
Looks like you're looking for a brand new 488nm?!
You should take a look right there: Home
It's pretty impressive, a fiber LASER technology at 488nm with a 1W output power!
Enjoy

Azur,

While I want to thank you, I guess, for the advertisement of your company (note, that should be done appropriately, not disguised as an actual suggestion) - i'm sure your response wasn't actually aimed at us.

We're hobbyists here. I'm not sure you even read any of the posts except found "488nm" and figured you could advertise.

Here's the question:

Are your 488nm systems in the range of $15,000-$30,000? Or more like $50,000 to $100,000.

For 1w of 488nm, I can't see it being any less than that.
...Either way, nobody here would be in your market.

I'm sure your lasers are great. Really. But if you're looking for medical and scientific institutions to purchase them, here isn't the place to do so.

Now, if you could get LPF members discounts on your, shall we say "scratch and dent" equipment, that's another story. But I'm *guessing* this was a hit-and-run advertising posting, without actually finding out what LPF is about.

All right, sorry, i really thought it could interest you because most of the time people just don't know that this kind of high power laser do exist! But there is no problem at all, if you're not interested in! I was just thinking that you could be amazed by this special laser, anyway, i wish you the best Aryntha:)