Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A big disappointment

Have any of you felt so bad when you guys killed your first diode. Men, I feel like I don’t want to continue building laser. This was my second build and I F… it up. But let’s see how it goes on the 445. If I mess this one up that's it for me, I just don’t have the skill to build laser.

:cryyy::cryyy::cryyy::cryyy::cryyy::cryyy:

It happens to all of us.
I remember I went through 6 red diodes, with a total successful run time of probably 5 minutes of all of them.

I don't even remember the last time I killed a diode. I guess you just get use to building them. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually VERY simple to do. At least it will seem that way anyhow.

It's been about 9 months since i've built a laser. Monday will be my first since then...lets hope i don't screw it up :D

It happens to all of us.
I remember I went through 6 red diodes, with a total successful run time of probably 5 minutes of all of them.

I don't even remember the last time I killed a diode. I guess you just get use to building them. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually VERY simple to do. At least it will seem that way anyhow.

It's been about 9 months since i've built a laser. Monday will be my first since then...lets hope i don't screw it up :D
Thanks man ill keep trying till i can do it.

This was back with 16x sony diodes and I was paying $20 a pop for them.

Toke

Styropyro got a group buy going with some pretty cheap 300mW reds. ($4.5)

I got 5 at his last round and have killed 3 of them.
It does not feel as bad as killing an expensive one, and gives good practise.

Good point Toke :beer:
Also, you will feel better if you don't have to wait another 3 weeks to get your frikkin parts in the mail! :mad:
Order many crappy little ones and practice before screwing up the pricey ones (like I did with the last 445)
Good luck bro!

@diodelaser

don't worry man i killed a few diodes to, its all a learning experience:)
just remember what you did wrong and dont do it like that anymore :p

always make sure to use the right and clean tools, always recheck everything when your done (wiring, solder jobs, no solder blobs on the driver etc)

iirc i killed about a handfull of phr and lpc, 1 12x blu ray ( when they were expencive ), and last night i killed a second 445.

^ Good advice! +1 Just buy a few cheap but reliable laser diodes. Once you build two successful projects in a row, you're going to get some major confidence going. :)

I totally agree. Everyone that works with these will kill some at some point. I started messing with the really cheap $1 toys. They have an open die sandwiched between 2 brass plates. Try tweaking one of those up just a bit. Imagine the sound of crushing a grain of salt and no pretty red light. lol Or forgetting to discharge the capacitor on your LM317 driver you made and used 10 times. Never even saw a flash or flicker.......It was a 5mw Sure module I had abt 3 days.....sigh, my 1st 5.6mm kill. It was $3.99 I think and now I can make a diode remover and still have a focusable housing left for another! All is not lost.
Modwerx has 5mw 635nm for abt $4 ea. and some deals show up cheap on ebay. I prefer to by from members here. Some sell there I think(ebay). I dont have a list yet. Deals like styro has are great for the price per mw. It might be red and need different voltage/current settings, but its all good practice and stings less when you concentrate to hard or get distracted. It does get easier.

Last edited:
This was back with 16x sony diodes and I was paying $20 a pop for them.
@ Mohrenberg - Oh ok so how much do they cost rite now.

@ Toke - Well that’s rite about not feeling bad if there the cheap kind an you said some thing about Styropyro is he a member here I would like to buy some of those diode that you mention.

@Auto XX - Sorry to hear about your 445. And thank you for wishing me luck cause I'm going to need it.

@Xtrm2Rick - Thanks for the advice now that I think about it I know what I did wrong, I always clean my tools, but thanks again.

@millirad - When I build my first 405 I though I was good at it an I felt confidence so I try with the red one but nope I guess I wasn't ready but I am going to try to build two of them with out killing them then I'll feel confidence thank you. and sorry for your diodes.

@Vaporizer - Well thank you for the information.

Don't feel too bad. I killed 4 diodes trying to build my first laser. I just killed another today. Its a sickening feeling. Luckily HightechDeals ships really fast. :D

Hey Man Keep your Head up:D we all go through it, Sometimes it takes alittle longer but once you build a complete laser it then becomes natural to make them.

Check your work over make sure everything is in its right place and you will get it this time.:wave: We all had to learn the same way and when times get tuff and you think somethings not right just take a brake and go over everything that you learned from your previous attempts:).

Have faith, It will never lead you in the wrong direction at the end. Its not a matter of failing its a matter after failing you pick your head up and try again. Thats what makes you succeed in building lasers.

You can do it..:)

Dont give up.:beer:

Don't feel too bad. I killed 4 diodes trying to build my first laser. I just killed another today. Its a sickening feeling. Luckily HightechDeals ships really fast. :D
Yeah it is a bad feeling, I felt so bad when I killed it I know other member might say is not like you kill somebody. But any ways killing something you like makes you sick up to your stomach. but thank you.

Hey Man Keep your Head up:D we all go through it, Sometimes it takes alittle longer but once you build a complete laser it then becomes natural to make them.

Check your work over make sure everything is in its right place and you will get it this time.:wave: We all had to learn the same way and when times get tuff and you think somethings not right just take a brake and go over everything that you learned from your previous attempts:).

Have faith, It will never lead you in the wrong direction at the end. Its not a matter of failing its a matter after failing you pick your head up and try again. Thats what makes you succeed in building lasers.

You can do it..:)

Dont give up.:beer:
Thanks man, for those words I’m more confidence now, and I do have my head up now and I'm not ready to give up yet. Reading all this support, tips and telling me not to quit too early.
Thanks to all of you, for all the support an I’m happy to tell you guys that I’m not giving up to early.
Thanks to all.

I "killed" a green 700mW DPSS laser that cost me $600 due to my own stupidly and careless. It's been over a year for me. The lesson to is to use extreme patience and caution. I've heard worse horror stories though. In the past I've gone though about 6 diodes just though idle testing but who cares when buy 20 of them for a mere 15 bucks. I still have more of them too. It gets painful when what you are working with is expensive. I'm a bit scared to begin again as a result I think, that was a horrible waste.

Last edited: