Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

808nm 300mw laser.

Hello.
I recently bought a 808nm 300mw laser diode.
I realize this is an infra red laser.
Now answer seriously, and please remember I am a newb.
Am I going to need goggles for this laser, I know I can't see it - but for the sake of my eyes am I going to need them?

Blord

Yes, you need goggles. Personally I don't bother the ir diodes. You can't see the beam without goggle and you also see nothing with goggles on. They are use to replace the ir diode in green lasers.

For the price of the 808nm 300mW diode you could buy a lpc-815 sled with a nice red 250mW diode AND a 780nm iR diode for free. :D

Last edited:

ARG

Yes, for any laser diode rated for 300mW you will need goggles. Especially with IR because it's not in the visible spectrum.

Am I going to need goggles for this laser, I know I can't see it - but for the sake of my eyes am I going to need them?

Definitely get goggles. :tsk: The beam is invisible to most of us, you never sure where it goes and reflects. 300 mW is enough power to burn not only balloons.

What is your application? Will you generate some green through 808>1064>532?
Will you use other lasers at the same time? Answers may widen the spectral range you need to block.

Yes IR goggles & not cheap ones.
IR will seriously hurt you. Damage is cumulative & you may not even realize until its to late.

You need either certified goggles or an LPM to test your goggles to ensure they work. You could also create a thread like "Recommend LPM tested 808 goggles please" or send some unknown goggles to another member to test on a LPM.
Many goggles may lie & claim they are certified or even print OD numbers on the lens. OEM goggles are Real certified goggles & I believe actually the least expensive available for certified.

Last edited: