Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7W NUBM44-V2 450nm Laser Diode NUMB44-81/NUBM47-A1

Looks like the v1, v2, v100, v110W, x10 and others are being discontinued, the nubm44 may no longer be produced.....I suspect most will be switching to the cluster arrays.

I've actually discovered another source for them... I'm calling them a "V3" for lack of a better term. They don't require heat extraction, just unsoldering from PCB. There is some thermal paste on them which wipes off easily. These diodes seem to have better and more uniform beams since I believe there is some warping to the die from the extreme heat needed to extract them from the NUBM44 blocks. There seems to be a decent supply of them for now which is why I haven't had to increase my prices.

PXL_20201231_193015343.jpg

Oh yea, rows 1 and 3 are the thermal paste " V3 " and rows 2 and 4 are the indium heat bonded/extracted.......so I suppose they do the same 7.5 - 7.7w from a cold start in a room temp. sink ?

Wakrah

I will order some in a couple of weeks, thanks for sharing!

So, where are you guys getting your 44s from and what current are you setting them at....still 4.5 amps? I just got an extension tube for a maglite so I can stick 3 lithium ions in there. What is the best driver now?

Encap

So, where are you guys getting your 44s from and what current are you setting them at....still 4.5 amps? I just got an extension tube for a maglite so I can stick 3 lithium ions in there. What is the best driver now?
Same as prior DTR is the LPF favorite place to but if you want reliable, new, tested and quality components + good/quick service and shipping see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

There may be others out there but DTR is the one stop shop people go to for first quality new components and he offers a range of module sizes nobody else offers

I have many NUBM44's in stock at very reasonable prices along with many other components.

Same as prior DTR is the LPF favorite place to but if you want reliable, new, tested and quality components + good/quick service and shipping see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrslasershop/home/diodes/6w-nubm44-445nm-laser-diode

There may be others out there but DTR is the one stop shop people go to for first quality new components and he offers a range of module sizes nobody else offers
That is what I figured lol. Same old site. I just have not been around for a while. Are you still using 4.5 amps for these or are you driving them harder? What do you think is the best current driver?

DTR's Super X-Drive is one of the best and it's easier to thermally bond to your heat sink, but I have used about all of them and repurposed many LED flashlight drivers which if pressed into a round sink like a flashlight pill doesn't need to be thermally bonded, I often make my own linear current regulators for multi diode builds, but for a single nubm44 I use a SXD @ 4.5A and I always use a c-lens pair and a beam expander on my 44 builds, the divergence is just far too aggressive, the NDB7875 you used in your project has about as wide of a spread as I can stand for a " pointer " and the G8 lens is my new favorite with it.

Shmackitup has some 44's that were never bonded with indium which means they did not have to be heat extracted, I don't know how much difference it will make but if you wanted to actively cool one and push it to 5 amps or more you may want to try one.

I have been using these 3.5A drivers on some 05's and 7a75's and they work well without any thermal bonding, you can drive a 44 with one if you want to be closer to factory spec, also you get 3 modes, low, strobe and high, in low mode you can see it's rapidly pulsed if you move the beam around fast, just like all the led flashlights we buy, pretty cool effect really when you swirl the beam to make shapes you can see the dashes as it's pulsed, in high it stays full on @ 3.5A.

SANY5554.JPG

Last edited:

Clysmo

I have a NUBM44-81 block, and I tried to power one of the diodes with 3-3.5 A and ~4 Volts. The diode never activated... why is this?

Encap

I have a NUBM44-81 block, and I tried to power one of the diodes with 3-3.5 A and ~4 Volts. The diode never activated... why is this?
Your guess is as good as anyone's guess.
From the little info you report all anyone can say is bad diode or faulty,/incorrect power supply to the diode.

PS This thread is 3 years old

Last edited: