Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7W 445nM diode burned out?

Spezialemic

So I purchased a Zeus X and have been using it successfully for a while now, but today I noticed that the diode is not burning anything. I tested it on my hand, and the dot is barely warm. It seems that im not in low power mode, as I can hit the button to switch into low power mode and I see the dot become slightly less intense. Im wondering what could have happened. I don't think I ever exceeded the duty cycle, but If I did I assume the diode would simply die. Not sure what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Spezialemic

So update...the diode is dead and LEDing, but Zeus responded to my inquiry within minutes and they’re just sending me a new $400 laser for free. Talk about customer service!

gazer101

So update...the diode is dead and LEDing, but Zeus responded to my inquiry within minutes and they’re just sending me a new $400 laser for free. Talk about customer service!
One possible cause for diode death is keeping the laser turned on for too long (and it overheating). Always respect the duty cycle

Snecho

They probably sent you a new "$400" laser because to them it costs a few bucks, which is the quality of the diode and driver. But I digress.

They probably sent you a new "$400" laser because to them it costs a few bucks, which is the quality of the diode and driver. But I digress.
unfortunately youre right. the Thor ultra cost 80 bucks on LPS.com and its the same thing. I hate when people rebrand stuff and jack the price way up. :( unless he got the 7W version for 400 then I guess that's better than the 1600mw for 400 lol!

Shiiru

So I purchased a Zeus X and have been using it successfully for a while now, but today I noticed that the diode is not burning anything. I tested it on my hand, and the dot is barely warm. It seems that im not in low power mode, as I can hit the button to switch into low power mode and I see the dot become slightly less intense. Im wondering what could have happened. I don't think I ever exceeded the duty cycle, but If I did I assume the diode would simply die. Not sure what to do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It was either exceeded duty cycle or batteries not charged.

Snecho

Maybe you confused..
Thor ultra 1.6W, costs 80$ without case & accesories..
the Zeus X is 7W and they send it in Complete kit with batteries,
I have both lasers and Zeus X is about 4-5 times stronger and brighter than Thor ultra,
so in my opinion Zeus X worths the money sure!

P.S.--- There is also a stronger version of Thor Ultra (5W) and I just compared the current prices for Thor ultra 5W,
it's 299$ without batteries and without case, if you will add also these in the cart , it's 355$.
Zeus X in the same time costs 345$ the complete kit , and it has 2 Watt more power as well.
So seems that LPS.com rebrand stuff and jack the price way up. LOL!!
LPS was the first to create and sell "Thor", therefore, not rebranded. Get your facts straight.

Snecho

I don't know who was first , this that I know sure is that Zeus X 7W is cheaper and stronger than Thor Ultra 5W
In the end you're trying to compair two pieces of crap. And the end of the day, it's still cheap crap. Good day.

okay yea I didn't realize the one you got was the 7W version. yeah the THOR is the original brand and so many companies buy them in bulk from china and rebrand them. in which your case I guess wasn't too bad since you got all that and its 7W. the bad thing is that you have no way of knowing without a LPM if it is in fact 7W. it could be the 5W version and truthfully a lot of people wouldn't even visually be able to tell. but either way. even hypothetically, if it was the 5W version, then it still really isn't that bad of a deal, not like what I have seen on other sites for sure.

Spezialemic

Hello fellow Zues X owner Hi! Hi! 😊 I'm new here but not so new to lasers. I just ordered me a Zues X laser, can you help me with it? I was just wondering what the safety operational time frame is so my diode doesn't go all crispy cream on me.
I think the diode itself is rated for 60s on 60s off, but Zeus says 30s on 60s off I believe.

Hi,
Its needed to know what material the heat sink is and the total diameter in the host. That might answer the sudden failure of the diode. And as was said you wont know if its really 7W's if you dont LPM it. I would be concerned for 400 big ones. And all those different modes on the unit I dont know about that. If it were I I would like a simple on/off clicky latching switch. Well wish you the best with your new replacement .
Rich:)