Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

7th Grade Science Fair Project

Idk, i wouldnt say its too advanced, i built an alarm clock that goes off 15 minutes after sun-up on a breadboard for my 4th grade science fair.

Was this the classic photocell / capacitor project??

And may I ask if you had an adult mentor who sparked your interest so young??

Mine was my grandfather, he had a radio repair shop before I was born.

When I was just a tiny tot I would sit on his lap while he fixed televisions and radios. I forget now, but he taught me to solder when I was barely able to speak.

Back then everything had tubes or really big T0-3 transistors, wires had cloth insulation, and soldering guns were like 400 watts.

Back on topic, my oldest daughter took my Helium Neon laser to school for her science fair, they gave her a C and the kid with the stupid baking soda volcano got 1st place.

They told her to try again with something SHE made on her own.

Last edited:

Duster

Dakota received 110 points out of 100 for his grade from the teacher. The judging will be next week. He was very excited about that. It turned out better than we thought it would. He was really dedicated on the project, Sunday was last minute stuff to do and he kept with it and turned it in on time, cool. We might be to late for the Sacramento Regional Science Fair, I am looking into that for him today while he is at school, will update as we find out anything. Thanks guys and Dakota say "thanks" too.

Was this the classic photocell / capacitor project??

And may I ask if you had an adult mentor who sparked your interest so young??

Mine was my grandfather, he had a radio repair shop before I was born.

When I was just a tiny tot I would sit on his lap while he fixed televisions and radios. I forget now, but he taught me to solder when I was barely able to speak.

Back then everything had tubes or really big T0-3 transistors, wires had cloth insulation, and soldering guns were like 400 watts.

Back on topic, my oldest daughter took my Helium Neon laser to school for her science fair, they gave her a C and the kid with the stupid baking soda volcano got 1st place.

They told her to try again with something SHE made on her own.

No, it was a monostable 555 timer circuit with a schmitt trigger and a cds cell.

What sparked my intrest in electronics was, when i was 4, i found some wire and my dad showed me how to make an electromagnet. That is the only time i remember someone teaching me about electronics. after that, the first thing i ever built was a "dancing screw" just some copper wire wrapped around a toilet paper tube with a screw inside, hooked up to a car battery.

i really cant remember what else i did back then, but i learned most everything myself. I was offered a circuit set from my teacher to play with in kindergarden, consisting of batteries, switches, wires, and a couple light bulbs. i was actually like "you've got to be kidding" [i was into digital gates then].

also, about the laser, i would have bitched my ass off to the teacher.

I built an egg-box filled with motors that vibrated (and occasionally smoked!) with a switch I salvaged from a hair-dryer - that was what kick-started my interest in electronics. True story.

-----

The project looks amazing, well beyond what's necessary at that level. Congratulations, and I hope it goes well for you at the regional fair!

I built an egg-box filled with motors that vibrated (and occasionally smoked!) with a switch I salvaged from a hair-dryer - that was what kick-started my interest in electronics. True story.

-----

The project looks amazing, well beyond what's necessary at that level. Congratulations, and I hope it goes well for you at the regional fair!

I built something like that a couple years ago. It used a mercury switch and a couple vibramotors. It vibayed and shocked you when you moved it.

ogre

she got a C because she brought YOUR laser in. if she'd built one, it would've been a different story.

about the laser, i would have bitched my ass off to the teacher.

I whined, but ogre hit the nail right on the head, the teacher looked at it and said "young lady, YOU were supposed to build or design something"

when she could not even explain how a laser worked, the teacher said to ME "I give you an F for sending her in with your laser and not even explaining how it works to her"

Just this week, Samantha (my 14 year old) got an A for a simple PVC trough I helped her make, it sits on 2 stands at an angle, it flows water using gravity, and is a simulation of the ancient aqueducts.

It's crude, simple and she explained how it works.

I whined, but ogre hit the nail right on the head, the teacher looked at it and said "young lady, YOU were supposed to build or design something"

when she could not even explain how a laser worked, the teacher said to ME "I give you an F for sending her in with your laser and not even explaining how it works to her"

Just this week, Samantha (my 14 year old) got an A for a simple PVC trough I helped her make, it sits on 2 stands at an angle, it flows water using gravity, and is a simulation of the ancient aqueducts.

It's crude, simple and she explained how it works.

Mabe if she brings in a rock and calls it a stony meteorite she will get an a+.

Duster

Tonight was Dakotas school Science Fair. He was amazing. He talked with parents about his project, answered their questions and in the end, he said it was cool to be able to do that. Very proud of my young man. We submitted the paper work for the Sacramento Science and Engineering Fair on March 26th and 27th. Waiting to hear back from them to see if he is in. He received 110 points for his project out of 100 and 135 points out of 120 for the Science Fair. Doing GREAT Dakota!

Dakota --- Glad to hear you are doing so good.
Someday you need to have your dad let YOU post here. He can't do it all.
Also some pictures of your demo would be nice.

Congrats -- HMike

Dakota ---

Any new accomplishments to report? Did you make it to the big show?

HMike